Welcome to the Marketing Forum

btkong

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
We have a decent amount of both hopeful fantasy authors and published fantasy authors (both indie and traditional) who stop by and post.

If you are an author who's published a book, the next step is to promote your book. While writing a book is tough enough, figuring out how to promote your book (tastefully), gain a real audience, and perhaps see a return on investment is a critical skill you need to master if you want to make a living as an author, especially as an indie author.

For those with questions related to marketing your book online, this is the forum to discuss those strategies and perhaps learn how to optimize your own promotion efforts.

Some authors here have quite a bit of experience promoting their book. Please share your strategies and tips if you have any.

Here are some topics you may want to discuss here.
  • Where is the best place to advertise your book, if you want to pursue paid advertising.
  • What's your CTR for conversions with advertising on GoodReads.com, Sponsored Amazon Ads on Amazon.com.
  • Strategies for Building a Facebook Page for your Book.
  • The Best Way to Build a Newsletter Audience to Grow Your Readers (and sell books)
  • How much should you spend on advertising?
  • What strategies are effective for promoting your book (forums, advertising, etc)

jo zebedee

1. I feel like I've done nothing other than market for a year. Someone here mentioned Emma Newman and how hard she works - in my experiece, that's what it takes. So, here goes:

Best place to advertise your book, if you want to pursue paid advertisin

Bookbub. Every time. If you can't get listed/can't afford US try a UK only submission. Stagger them to let you have additional subs. But, bottom line, they pay back.
    Book Barbarian is very cheap - 10 quid in the UK - and sff only. I normally get a good response from them.

What's your CTR for conversions with advertising on GoodReads.com, Sponsored Amazon Ads on Amazon.com

Not used them because their reputation is so poor. I'll see what others think.

Strategies for Building a Facebook Page for your Book.

I find these frustrating - too few people receive notifications when I post. On the other hand, my website gets ongoing and good hits.

What strategies are effective for promoting your book (forums, advertising, etc)

Forums are good if you're prepared to be part of the community. They're hostile - rightly - to self promo. Ditto any facebook group not swamped by self promo.
    My blog brings a lot of traffic - but it took five years to have any significant hits and takes a weekly post to keep the hits up (which I don't mind but others would find onerous)
    Don't rule out libraries, local events and, also, giving back - this is a community of writers, not all about you. Also, local press/tv - everything, practically, is streamed these days. A local show can be shared worldwide.
    Podcasts - good fun and an emerging market. If you're chatty and reasonably confident, they're very straighforward.

Also - take every opportunity. Ask for interviews ops, contact local press, post in market threads, don't be afraid. Provided you're not a pest, take nos graciously - and respect them - and are honest, I find people rarely mind a quick request. No one else will ask for you - go for it!

Matticus Primal

Podcasts - good fun and an emerging market. If you're chatty and reasonably confident, they're very straighforward.
I've been wanting to reach out to the fantasy podcast community to market my book, but as someone who does not listen to podcasts, I have no idea where to start. Do you have some that you would recommend that are open to interviewing authors (specifically self-published)?

jo zebedee

I've been wanting to reach out to the fantasy podcast community to market my book, but as someone who does not listen to podcasts, I have no idea where to start. Do you have some that you would recommend that are open to interviewing authors (specifically self-published)?
If your stuff is dark the Grimtidings Podcast do a writer's pit, although they are getting bigger these days and their lists are busier. Also just started up are Keystroke Media, who seem to take requests. (I find facebook groups a good place to find podcasts and what not - the Grimdark Readers and Writers group where were I found the Grimtidings link.)

Matticus Primal

If your stuff is dark the Grimtidings Podcast do a writer's pit, although they are getting bigger these days and their lists are busier. Also just started up are Keystroke Media, who seem to take requests. (I find facebook groups a good place to find podcasts and what not - the Grimdark Readers and Writers group where were I found the Grimtidings link.)
Thanks for answering. Grimtidings doesn't sound up my alley, but Keystroke might. Now off to research further. To the Batmobile!

Matticus Primal

I've put off doing the promotional push for a few more months. Just started the second book in the series and figure I will try and promote both at the same time. I am going to be the reddit fantasy author of the day towards the end of November, so October will be the time I start my marketing push for reals.

Nuomer1

I've put off doing the promotional push for a few more months. Just started the second book in the series and figure I will try and promote both at the same time. I am going to be the reddit fantasy author of the day towards the end of November, so October will be the time I start my marketing push for reals.
Fair enough. I won't be looking at it myself until late Sept - will probably message you then.

Alice Sabo

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
Can I drag this thread back out of the dungeon?

There's been a lot of talk recently about how what used to work isn't working any more in promotion. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with considering a new learning curve when I'm only halfway up the old one.

I've seen it in my own promotions. A technique that got me great sales last year flopped miserably this year. Ugh. And it seems like there's a glut of newsletters leading people to unsubscribe at scary rates. Then there's the gmail, etc debacle that hides the bottom of a newsletter unless the recipient clicks on it. So you could pay good money for a promotion, be listed on the lower half and never be seen by a good number of recipients. Ouch.

I've seen a couple people say to release at full price and just keep writing.