What are you reading?

Lev Daert

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Pet Sematary by Stephen King, chosen on recommendations around here,
pretty good reading, but also very bleak.
you know what'll happen or can guess what will happen from early on, and that's where it's all going to now,
still 60 or 70 pages to read, anxious to see how it turns out

I find it pretty interesting that the shining and pet sematary both have main characters that can't be held fully responsible for their actions, they know themselves stuff is going to go bad but they're being manipulated by outside influence.

Lev Daert

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Carrie, fast and good read. I expected it all to be more disturbing, especially in the bullying department. but the flashes of post Prom Night are pretty cool, all these people talking about some cataclysm that happened, really makes you want to continue reading.
If this keeps up it might be my second favorite stephen king book.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I've been reading Sympathy for the Devil, a collection of short horror stories about the Devil.
Devil is kind of an interesting theme or motive in literature to me, so I've been really enjoying this one. But scariest story in the collection by far is The Man in the Black Suit by Stephen King! Loved that one! Good ones were also Price by Neil Gaiman and Beluthahatchie by Andy Duncan and Ten for the Devil by Charles de Lint.

ofer

Journeyed there and back again
So, finished NOS4A2 by Joe Hill and this seemed like the most appropriate thread to comment on it.

I'm not much of a horror reader anymore, but the book worked quite well for me. An interesting story, good writing - nothing fancy, but fast and flowing, believable characters. While not being a literary critic, there were several points that, while quite subjective, helped me realize that I liked the book:

1. Nothing irritated or annoyed me about the writing.
Well, almost nothing. Hill uses a gimmick at several points throughout the book, where he finishes a chapter in mid-sentence and continues it in the title of the next chapter, sort of like

This.​

See what I mean? That actually broke my reading flow several times. That's a big no-no, Joe. It's a good thing the book was written so well that I didn't mind it so much. It's one of those clever ideas that looks really great on theory, but almost never work in real life. Kind of like eating suspicious street food at 2am in Havana after a night of heavy drinking.

Nevermind that, back to my subjective list:
1. (almost) nothing irritated me or annoyed me about the writing.
2. While reading, I wanted to know what happens next. At some points, it's quite a page-turner.
3. I gulped the book down pretty quickly. 5 days and it's quite a long book, as far as horror books go. I reckon it took me about 16 hours to read it, so that's over 3 hours a day - not a bad pace at all.

So yes, I liked the book. In fact now I'm glad that I also got his other book that was on sale on Amazon (Horns).
Another off-topic point - I read the book the traditional way, but apparently the audio-book is being narrated by Kate Mulgrew, who was the leading actress on the movie Remo. And that was one cool film.

So, to summarize - A good, not too scary, horror book, written extremely well.

moonspawn

Currently I am reading Mr. Hands by Gary A. Braunbeck. I'm not far yet but so far I'm really liking it and it seems very different and more mainstream than In Silent Graves which was an amazing book. I can't believe more people don't read this guy. His prose are very vivid and he writes very convincingly. I feel immersed in the characters thoughts and feelings.

moonspawn

Never mind what I said about Mr. Hands above. It started off good but then just becomes a typical classic horror book and that just isn't Braunbeck's thing. In Silent Graves was far, far superior.

Hand of Fear

I think the book I'm reading will fit in to the horror category, so I'm reading Infected by Scott Sigler a bit of a step away from what I usually read, and time wise it's based around the here and now.

moonspawn

Currently I am reading Ghost Story by Peter Straub. So far it is interesting. I am waiting for it to get scary.

sopranosfan

I am listening to Moonlit Mind by Dean Koontz. It is a short novella of just under 4 hours, I like quick listens in between Dresden books. It's OK, I always feel like with Koontz books that he is just short of being a great writer but I can never put in words what's missing.

atheling

A Poet of the Khaiem
It's OK, I always feel like with Koontz books that he is just short of being a great writer but I can never put in words what's missing.
I think I know what you mean. I used to read Dean Koontz as a kid, but somewhere along the line I set him aside. Don't ever remember disliking anything I read, but I slowly stopped reading his books

ofer

Started reading Children of the Night By Dan Simmons. In the introduction to the story Simmons tells of the research trip he did in Romania in 1991 in order to acquaint himself with the story of Vlad Dracul and one particular thing cracked me up - he visited a small town, went on a walk in a Sunday afternoon, and found the town streets deserted - not because of any tradition or because everyone went to church, but because during Sunday everyone stayed indoors in order to watch Dallas. :eek:

atheling

A Poet of the Khaiem
whole family used to watch Dallas when I was a kid

great, now I'm gonna have that tune stuck in my head all night

sopranosfan

I just finished Rise of the Governor and if you are a fan of the comics or show and don't expect great literature it is an enjoyable read. I enjoyed seeing the journey of The Governor and seeing him change.

sopranosfan

Reading the second Walking Dead novel, The Road to Woodbury. Just like the first one it seems like a light, quick read about a story I enjoy. This one seems to focus on Bob and Lilly.