What are you reading?

ofer

Journeyed there and back again
Finished Song of Kali by Dan Simmons which was a nice, atmospheric book. First half was a little slow - most of it was build-up. Second half was a page-turner.
Didn't find it very scary, though, although it might have something to do with me rather than the book. Looking back at the last year or so, I've read a few horror books by well-known authors (Simmons, Joe Hill, Robert McCammon) and didn't find them scary as well. Maybe I lost my ability to be scared by a horror book.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Maybe I lost my ability to be scared by a horror book.
Maybe it's a book's fault? Song of Kali is part of a Fantasy Masterworks books
so maybe it's one of those genre lines blurring books? Not quite a horror? Not a straight up fantasy either?

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
so maybe it's one of those genre lines blurring books? Not quite a horror? Not a straight up fantasy either?
The Terror by Dan Simmons fits that mould .. it's half horror half fantasy. Maybe it's a Dan Simmons thing .. After all, Hyperion is half fantasy half sci-fi .. does he stick to a single genre in any book? :)

ofer

Maybe it is. It's just that the most of the recent horror books I've read didn't feel scary at all and I was examining the possibility that I've become somewhat desensitized to the genre. Even so, I still enjoyed reading it as a thriller and it had its emotional moments.
The Terror by Dan Simmons fits that mould .. it's half horror half fantasy. Maybe it's a Dan Simmons thing
Ironic that you picked one of the books I read that did feel scary. It's more like half horror half historical fiction, and it was really a good book - thoroughly recommended.

Last edited:

Riposte

Philosophizes with Kellhus
I have been reading a number of E.T.A. Hoffmann stories and have come away from them largely impressed. "The Sandman" and "Councillor Krespel" are the most notable stories.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Earlier this year I've read The Fold by Peter Clines. This was a cross between sci-fi and horror. The book had a strong Lovecraft feel and I really liked it, gave it 7/10.
Right now I'm reading 14 by the same author. The Fold is his latest book, and 14 is from 2012. Set in a same world, with some of the same references, it's basically a mystery that's shaping up to be a horror, again with Lovecraft influence. I cant talk more about what I mean by Lovecraft influence because I would spoil both books.
Clines writes well, his characters are modern and reletable. They feel like real people. He knows how to build up an atmosphere and mystery. I would recommend him if you need something fresh, quick and not too scary, but more in line with what I said about Lovecraft influence.

Last edited:

sopranosfan

I finished Fall of the Governor: Part 1. I actually really enjoyed this one. The build up was really well handled and the ending of the book was really good and honestly was a little emotional. My favorite part of this trilogy is getting to see the other side to what is still probably the biggest story arc in The Walking Dead. I think the biggest thing going into a series like this is realizing what you are going into, the same as with movies, don't expect great cinema from a Will Farrell movie because that's not what he delivers. The same is true of books based on movies or TV, it still is no excuse for poor writing but if it is competently written and interesting then it gave me what I want.
I went ahead and started part 2.

Nuomer1

Currently reading YA SF rather than Fantasy - Earth Star (Earth Girl trilogy Part 2). Janet Edwards is an old friend, which is the reason I read part 1 - but it was good enough that I am now reading part 2. Reading the parts in sequence is advised.

ABatch

I'm not entirely sure where to post this, but I got the chance to beta read an amazing YA vampires/werewolves/fey/historical novel/the kitchen sink that I think will be a HUGE hit. This is what Twilight might have looked like if that author had a bit more talent. It's what Anne Rice's work might have looked like if she had a sense of humor. I'm a little overwhelmed at that awesomeness of it all (and not a little jealous!). Anyway, I clearly recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/Heartblaze-Se...TF8&qid=1446924633&sr=8-1&keywords=heartblaze

Nuomer1

I'm not entirely sure where to post this, but I got the chance to beta read an amazing YA vampires/werewolves/fey/historical novel/the kitchen sink that I think will be a HUGE hit. This is what Twilight might have looked like if that author had a bit more talent. It's what Anne Rice's work might have looked like if she had a sense of humor. I'm a little overwhelmed at that awesomeness of it all (and not a little jealous!). Anyway, I clearly recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/Heartblaze-Se...TF8&qid=1446924633&sr=8-1&keywords=heartblaze
That's quite a strongly favourable set of comments!
Unfortunately, it is only available to pre-order in UK - coming out 30th Nov.
Why can't Amazon get their act together?

ABatch

Well, it's not Amazon, per se: that's when the book is released, worldwide. I'm pretty excited. At the same time, I have another friend who has ALSO written a vampires/werewolves, etc., novel...set in modern day Greece, and it is equally good and unexpected. Lots to look forward to in the next few months!

ofer

Right, so I'm on the Caribbean coast at the moment. In between my busy schedule of swimming, sunbathing and snorkeling, I'm currently halfway through Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons. It's a damn good one - a real pageturner. So far I'm enjoying this as much as I did The Terror, which is my favorite horror book from Simmons.

paul james

Firsthanded the newest Caine adventure
Starting The City by Dean Koontz.

So far there is no truly nasty bad person which is so often one of his biggest recurring part's of his books.