What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Horror' started by kraden, May 25, 2012.

1. moonspawn

moonspawn Journeyed there and back again

I finished In Silent Graves by Gary A Braunbeck recently. This is the second time I've read this book. It had a real big impact on me when I initially read it and so it's just a book I've thought about a lot and that's the reason I decided to re-read it. When I first read it, it was out of print but last year it was republished in both physical format and on kindle. I'm really glad it was republished because it's a very good book that needs to be saved from obscurity (still it doesn't have enough readers though). It may be labeled as horror but there is some mythology in the story about angels and creation and it has a very mythic feel to it. You almost feel like you're living and experience the tale instead of simply just reading it..... It's hard to explain....reading this a second time I think I appreciate it more than the first time I read it now that I understand better some of what Braunbeck is doing literary wise. However, I actually didn't enjoy it as much and I think that's just because there were some scenes I wasn't too fond of. I should point out to prospective readers that there are some scenes towards the end of the book that are very nauseating, so please get out the throw up bowl if you have a weak stomach (I'm being serious). This is one of the most emotional and depressing novels I've ever read so you might also want to get out the handkerchief too if you tear up easily. In the afterward Braunbeck tells about what an intense emotional experience it was writing this book, that after he finished it he literally hated it and that in his mind this was how he knew he had succeeded.... It really does show how involved the writer got into this work since it is so absorbing. It's also a very, very weird novel and it's literary horror, so do expect to do some thinking about the intellectual concepts the author introduces and how that connects to everything else. So if you're lover of dark literature, emotional intense literature, literary stuff and weird literature than this is the book for you. I think @fbones24 would enjoy it.

2. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I think I am like the only other person here who has read that. It was in maybe 2006? I am still creeped out by some of it. No real desire to reread, though.

3. moonspawn

moonspawn Journeyed there and back again

Yeah I remember you saying that you'd you read it before. It is a read that will haunt you and so I can understand why you don't want to re-read it....I was hesitant about re-reading but I did remember being fascinated by the mythological aspects of the novel and so that was the main reason I wanted to re-read it and on the second read those parts are still just as fascinating. In the new edition there is also a fantastic and very lengthy afterward in which Braunbeck explains the process that went into writing Graves. There is some very valuable writing advice in there and then also it features a short story he wrote a long time ago, which is kind of like the seeds that In Silent Graves would become (has many of the same concepts like the Hallowers, the children going to a place where they could be safe, and Chronos/Kairos). So that was a real treat.

4. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

I've been working my way slowly through The Stand, it has been a very long time since I've read a SK book and boy it's good to be reading one of his books again. I'm really enjoying the writing which for me is tight and well structured, and it's not overly discriptive when you look at the size of the book.

I'm not sure if this has happened to other people when reading this, but I actually found myself laughing and chuckling to myself when he was describing how the flu was being passed from person to person (dark humour perhaps). There are also some standout characters in this book, and probably the one which will stick with me the most is The Kid (I've also started to use one of his famous quotes, jokingly) for those that have read the book you may know the one.

Some of these characters also go through some profound changes during the book, and you feel as if you're going along with them for the ride. On top of this the author can leave you a little unsure how some of these characters will turn out, and what exactly they will do next.

5. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

You're right HoF, I know exactly what you mean. The Stand is a marvelous book. I really liked the scenes where the flu was passed from one person to the next as well. Might be a bit morbid, but it's just that King's description is so striking.

I like Larry best. His character arc is nothing short of amazing.

6. Silvion Night

Upon advice of some forum members I've started on The Terror by Dan Simmons. I really liked Simmons's Hyperion and Edymion sci-fi series, so I hope my love for Simmons will continue to grow whilst reading this book.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I've just finished The Hidden Giant by Ishiguro and was decidedly underwhelmed. Not onto Barricade by Jon Wallace - a new sf writer I've had my eye on for a while - and enjoying it a lot.

8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

I'm reading Lovecraft's Monsters. A little over halfway through. Nothing particularly creepy yet in any of the short stories, I've already fotgotten them all but one was really good. It was one of the longer ones (40-50 pages) and is called "Remnants".

9. Silvion Night

I just finished the Terror by Dan Simmons. It was a fun read, combining multiple genres, of which the most prominent ones are historical fiction, alternative history and horror (with some magical realism thrown into the mix).

The story revolves around the HMS Terror and it's crew. This navy ship, captained by protagonist Captain Crozier, gets stuck in pack-ice in the year 1845 whilst on an expedition to find the rumoured North-West passage. As first the months and then the years go by the crew has to deal with illness (scurvy is a bitch), starvation, the incessant cold, and last but not least an eldritch monster with a thirst for human flesh. Will the crew survive?

The book is well researched and well written, but it is nowhere near as good as the Hyperion and Endymion books that I've read from this author. It's just not as imaginative and thought provoking. It was an entertaining read though, although not very scary. Don't let the fact that it's classified as a horror throw you off! All in all, I rate this book with a 7.5/10 (**** 4 GoodReads stars).

10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

I completed the Lovecraft's Monsters (short stories), and they all were pretty good and 3 really good.

I read short stories as a break from "more serious" novels either as an entire collection (as I did this one due to my need to avoid distractions the next couple of months). Or a short story or two between novels.

The reason I bring this up is because I probably forget about 95% of the short stories I read. But I Do remember one of the 3 goodies from that book.

Oh the irony!! It was a continuation of the original Frankenstein book which bored me to tears because I felt the writing was poor and while some parts were terrific others made absolutely no sense, IMO!). But I did think the "concepts" (thanks for the word @ABatch) were brilliant. Now I have to say this short picked up where the other left off (it helped a lot to have read the original because events and ideas from it were referred to frequently). So I absolutely loved this story because I loved the way it was narrated and presented. The timing for when I read it was beyond exquisite!!

11. Suril Pandya

Suril Pandya A farm boy with a sword

Now I am reading The Common Law, by Robert William Chambers

12. paul james

paul james Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar

Currently reading Lair by James Herbert. A very grisly book and not for everyone. It is the second of the Rats trilogy. I read them totally out of sequence, reading the third book first then the first book and finally I am reading the second - last!
    On a bitter of a horror run at the moment as I also have the fourth Frankenstein by Dean Koontz to read. Then a Peter Straub book called Mystery.

13. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill. Really enjoying it, the narrator is great, and listening to it in the dark whilst walking home from the train station this evening was pretty creepy!

14. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

About to read Summer of Night by Dan Simmons.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Bill Door

Bill Door Philosophizes with Kellhus

That and his Carrion Comfort are two of my favorite horror novels.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

The Mechanical and it's sequels by Ian Tregillis have a strong horror component. Great series, called The Alchemy Wars.

17. Silvion Night

I bought this one some months ago. I read simmons's Hyperion and Endymion books last year and loved both series. After that I read the Terror, which is also quote nice. Simultaneously with the Terror I purchased Carrion Comfort. It has been lying on my bookshelf up until now.

I'm about to jump right in. Really looking forward to it, as it comes highly recommended. Let's see how it holds up.

18. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

Same here. I bought it a while back. I need to read it soon as well as The Terror. I loved the Summer of Night books. But, I may be the only person alive that didn't like Hyperion.

19. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

I finished reading Pet Sematary a couple of days ago and thought it was okay, but if I put it up against (maybe I shouldn't do it) The Stand it falls way short.

The one thing I always enjoy about SK books is his ability to write about characters, and how they act/react too things which make them more believable, and not every author has this gift.

Right from the start of this book, especially if you have read his books before you can kind of tell where this book is headed. Which may have taken away much of the suspense, and I wouldn't really class this book as being scary.

I also thought the book would have gone into more detail about the history of the Pet sematary ect, and I found the book to have a rather sudden ending and more than a few unanswered questions. It almost seemed as if he had run out of ideas or wasn't quite certain on how to end it all.

20. Silvion Night

I totaly get what you mean. I didn't really like this SK book for the exact reasons you stated.