What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Horror' started by kraden, May 25, 2012.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

I've read alot of SK books and while the concept of Pet Sematary really interests me, I will be totally honest. I don't think an SK book has ever actually "scared" me (maybe creeped me out on a few occasions) but I believe I know enough about Pet Semetary to know it would scare the living shit out of me. I refuse to even try. One of his short story collections, Skeleton Crew, had a couple stories that sent chills down my spine.

Now, I have read one, and only one, Dean Koontz, books (Winter Moon) 20 years ago, and that one still gives me chills. Then again, Zombies and I don't mix well (saw some voodoo zombie movie when I was 9 and never got past it). I've heard it said that "Dean Koontz is Stephen King without a conscience".

I read a couple of short stories collections a year or two ago by Neil Gaiman. I can't even remember any but one offhand but this one story Click Clack The Rattle Bag...:nailbiting:

Other than those I just mentioned nothing that bothered me comes to mind. HOWEVER, I really should not have typed out this post right before bed...:eek: :chicken:

2. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

@Darth Tater which other SK books would you consider worth reading ?

I've read a few of his which are The Tommyknockers, Christine, Needful Things, The Green Mile, The Stand. I think that's it, I have ordered the first book of the Dark Tower as well.

3. Darth Tater

@Hand of Fear

My personal favorite by far was "It". Without saying too much, basically there is this terrible evil that returns to a certain area every 28 years and these kids as adults go back to confront it. Talk about creepy "clowns"...I know the movie was ridiculous but I thought the book was really good. I liked "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon". He was a relief pitcher in real life and he pitched a couple years for Stephen King's favorite team ( The Boston Red Sox ). King is a real baseball fan. The little girl is lost in the woods and I cannot say any more without spoiling it . The Talisman, as does the Stand touch on The Dark Tower. The Short stories would be "Skeleton Crew". He makes an attempt at fantasy with "The Eyes of the Dragon". Almost a dark adult fairy tale. I read it long ago as a teenager and remember some good stuff but I would suggest you steer clear of it. A couple of characters make very brief cameos in the dark tower.

Things in the dark tower do not start coming together really well until the third book, IMO, and then it gets really good . There are several characters that I think you'll never forget in your life. not that interesting stuff does not happen before book 3 . Of the books both of us read I enjoyed The Stand and Tommyknockers so if you liked those you might like the ones I mentioned.

I am always happy to give my opinion on a book, especially if somebody asks, but the caveat, as you know, is that how someone ultimately feels about a book is highly
    subjective!!

4. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

@Darth Tater I've seen the film IT ages ago and thought it wasn't too bad, but having seen the film it maybe putting me off from reading the book.

It probably doesn't help that I also watched the Green Mile before reading the book, and where I found the film to be captivating, powerful and thought provoking I found the book to be the complete opposite.

The Talisman sounds like something I would enjoy reading and especially if it touches on The Dark Tower and the Stand as I wanted to find out more about Roland, does it make any difference if I start the Dark Tower and read the Talisman some other time ?

And don't worry if I don't like the books you've mentioned I want come back on here and bash you.

5. Darth Tater

No. It doesn't really make a difference. Sort of... I recommend you check this list out of books that touch the DT and in what way . IMO, reading this list will actually enhance your experience (like "ohhhh cool") rather than provide spoilers of any sort. I caught a couple anyhow, but really wish I read this list first.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_King_works_related_to_The_Dark_Tower_series

6. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Still reading Carrion Comfort. It is very slow going for two reasons:

1. The book is a door stopper. It has "just" 780 pages, but the font is very small and the pages quite big. Seriously, it has the same look to it as a Bible.
    2. I don't really like it. I'm not immersed in the story at all. It feels like an 80's crime thriller, and not in a good way. It has some interesting parts, but those are far between. I'll keep reading (I'm at the 600 pages mark at the moment), but I am actually torturing myself by doing this and the only thing that keeps me going is my dislike for not finishing a book.

7. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Awesome. I bought this yesterday :mad:

8. Silvion Night

Read the first 50 pages. If you don't like it, stop reading right there. The rest of the book is more of the same.

9. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Only cost me 99p so not the end of the world if I share your opinion. I'll try to remember your advice when I finally get around to it!

10. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

Just finished Herbert west, reanimator~ HP Lovecraft

It a reread, but having read Frankenstein last year I felt I owed it to myself to read this again.

It's really a novella than a novel, made up of various accounts on people's (or person) recollection on the erie grisly work of West. It is unclear whether these are all intended to be different people, but it comes off that way.

This is clearly inspired by Frankenstein, but where that was a huge romantic prose with the vaguest hint that some science happened off screen
    ( the first monster was created in a single paragraph without much explanation other than the single word electricity a chapter early. The second monster had a chapter, but most of it was describing the strain the scientists worked under.)
    . This instead makes sure you are bombarded with test tubes, and boiling flasks , and chemicals. And whereas the time spent in mary Shelley s work outside of the laboratory is filled with romanticism on university, outdoor picnics, love, child rearing, and depression, Lovecraft uses this time to describe in detail the ghastly and ghoulish activities of retrieving bodies, dismemberment and the horrors of such a profession.

Frankenstein man made man, is treated as a monster just wanting to belong, or be loved. Reanimator s man made men, are as horrible monsters as their creator.

This also seems to be inspired by another mary Shelley work, the last man, dealing with plague.

Truly the father of modern horror this man is. This ghastly affair is often said to be, and I agree, the first popular depiction of the modern zombie.

8.5/10

11. ABatch

ABatch Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Just started The Indifferent Stars Above, about the Donner party. History meets horror.

12. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

That sounds interesting.

I'm currently reading The Terror by Dan Simmons. It is also history meets horror. It is awesome so far. I really enjoy Simmons' writing.

13. ABatch

ABatch Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I'll have to check it out. Maybe save it for Halloween?

14. Silvion Night

I think it is more suitable for those really cold nights in early January when gentle autumn is but a vague memory and spring still a distant dream.

15. Sir Arthur

Sir Arthur Journeyed there and back again

I loved The Terror. I agree with @Silvion Night it's a perfect book for just after the holidays, when the newness of winter is over, and there's still months of cold and dark to look forward to. Also, scurvy would be a horrible way to die.

16. Silvion Night

I skim-read the final 100 pages of Carrion Comfort. I've never skim-read a book before, but it was either that or give up on the book altogether right before the finish-line, because I really couldn't be bothered to continue. The book utterly failed to entice me. The story was dumb, The page count way too long (the story could have been told in half the amount of pages), the characters bland, boring and unlikable, and the tone of the author sexist and racist. This last point was an intentional plot devise from the author to make the antagonists less likeable, but after a while it started to irritate me no end nonetheless. After the Hyperion and Edymion books and the Terror this is the 6th book by Simmons that I've read. All the others were great, but I am sorry to say this one sucked. I rate it 4.5/10 (2 GoodReads Stars).

17. Tanniel

Tanniel Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Visiting someone in France, and one of the only English books in her library is The Narrow Road to the Deep South, so reading that one. It won the Man Booker prize in 2014, and one third through, it's a decent read. The characterisations are good, nuanced and interesting, which is always the main criterion. Add to that a historical setting of being a POW of the Japanese and forced to build the infamous railroad in Siam makes for a good story, plus the book makes sure to include before and after the war in an interesting manner.

18. Bierschneeman

Just Finished Dracula ~ Bram Stoker

its good, a nice Romantic Gothic tale representative of its era... INSANELY superior to every single Dracula movie ever made, how Hollywood can take this masterpiece and turn it into ....that:clown::hungover: Ill never understand.

19. paul james

paul james Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar

Started Sepulchre by James Herbert. This is the 20th book I have read by him. Loving it so far.

20. Bierschneeman

Plan is to start interview with a vampire today.

I do live in Louisiana afterall