What are you reading?

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Reading It right now, and I'm about 10% in which is somewhere over 100 pages. Some 'scary' things have happened already, but it didn't have that kind of an impact on me.
I heard It is one of the scarrier King's book, but so far I'm liking the writing, but I ain't scared :D
Even though I don't like clowns, they creep me out in real life.

But books that scare me are more along the lines of atmospheric horror where the threat is unindetifiable or cosmic horror.

I'm even 'reading' it as an audiobook, so it should be even scarier that way, but nope.

Maybe I haven't read enough of It yet, will report here after I finish.

Darth Tater

Journeyed there and back again
Reading It right now, and I'm about 10% in which is somewhere over 100 pages. Some 'scary' things have happened already, but it didn't have that kind of an impact on me.
I heard It is one of the scarrier King's book, but so far I'm liking the writing, but I ain't scared :D
Even though I don't like clowns, they creep me out in real life.

But books that scare me are more along the lines of atmospheric horror where the threat is unindetifiable or cosmic horror.

I'm even 'reading' it as an audiobook, so it should be even scarier that way, but nope.

Maybe I haven't read enough of It yet, will report here after I finish.
I loved “It”. It never seemed scary to me. Just eerie/creepy. But for me, it was one of those few books where a lot of events stuck with me and I remember them quite vividly. I thought the book really highlighted the characters, their lives, and their relationships.

I didn’t realize a new version was out and out of the blue my son held his phone out and said “look at this” He didn’t say anything else. A video was running. I’m sure that no more than two seconds passed and I said “Oh, that’s IT”. He was like “How in the hell could you tell”?? It was something that happened very early. If was innocent seeming. In one sentence what I saw was.

A small boy in a raincoat following a paper sailboat down a street.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I barely remember the book at all but I read it like 30 years ago, when I was just a kid, and it didn't scare me then. But I have always been able to handle reading things that I would absolutely not want to watch on a screen.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I read the book a couple of years ago. In my opinion definitely one of his best books, apart from
the weird sexual stuff between the kids that is..

That part was left out of the movie (at least the original movie, I didn't get the chance to watch the newest version).

Darth Tater

It took me about a day and a half to complete The Phantom Of The Opera. Excellent horror story and super tough to put down. The author swears the phantom truly existed. Maybe so. Much was based on romance but it was done well . One of the better classics I’ve read. So if you like classics...

I didn’t know much about the story beforehand. I kept meaning to cross the border and go into Toronto to see Andrew Lloyd Weber’s version. Never happened but I’m quite familiar with the songs. Couldn’t get them out of my head. Dun Da Da Da Dun...Dah Ta Ta Ta Dun...

I tried reading it a few years ago but quit. An overwhelming amount of characters introduced in the first 20 pages or so. This time I made a list I think some could have been combined. I found it very well written and easy to follow. I’m super glad I gave it another shot. Thanks for the extra little push of motivation @TomTB (Challenge’s Horror requirement).

The thing with Gothic horror is you “know” it will “end bad for the characters. Kept hoping this would be an exception. Was it? My lips are sealed.

@Bierschneeman IMO, this is a goodie. Have you read it?

Bierschneeman

It took me about a day and a half to complete The Phantom Of The Opera. Excellent horror story and super tough to put down. The author swears the phantom truly existed. Maybe so. Much was based on romance but it was done well . One of the better classics I’ve read. So if you like classics...

I didn’t know much about the story beforehand. I kept meaning to cross the border and go into Toronto to see Andrew Lloyd Weber’s version. Never happened but I’m quite familiar with the songs. Couldn’t get them out of my head. Dun Da Da Da Dun...Dah Ta Ta Ta Dun...

I tried reading it a few years ago but quit. An overwhelming amount of characters introduced in the first 20 pages or so. This time I made a list I think some could have been combined. I found it very well written and easy to follow. I’m super glad I gave it another shot. Thanks for the extra little push of motivation @TomTB (Challenge’s Horror requirement).

The thing with Gothic horror is you “know” it will “end bad for the characters. Kept hoping this would be an exception. Was it? My lips are sealed.

@Bierschneeman IMO, this is a goodie. Have you read it?
I have not. your really convincing me to read it though

it's added to the top of the tbr.

(writing this over bloody Mary's sitting through a droll lecture on waste water management at Master Brewers Association conference) yawn.

Darth Tater

I have not. your really convincing me to read it though

it's added to the top of the tbr.

(writing this over bloody Mary's sitting through a droll lecture on waste water management at Master Brewers Association conference) yawn.
I promise it’s more interesting than the lecture...;)

88% of 1,244 reviewers rated it 4 or 5 stars. (64% 5 and 22% 4 stars). I can think of no reason a public domain book would receive any fakes. I suggest that you don’t read the prologue until afterwards if you don’t already know the story.

Bill Door

Told lies with Locke
I just started Malcom Mcdowell's 'The Amulet'. I was looking in the "Customers who bought this also bought" section on Dan Simmon's 'Summer of Night' on amazon as it's one of my favorite horror novels and I saw MM"s name come up so I decided to try out one of his novels.

Last edited: