What do you consider/know is considered to be the great books of the last few years?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by MorteTorment, Nov 11, 2017.

1. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Knows Who John Uskglass Is

Since people aren't commenting much in the yearly published books topics, I figured I'd ask you all here, what do you think are the best books to have come out in the last few years, and what are the books have been considered to be the best books to have come out in the last few years?

I've been expanding my horizons a lot lately with the Fantasy that I read, both finally being able to imagine multiple people fighting at once in a war battle, and realizing that it's infodumps I can't stand, and not world building, so I really could use some suggestions.

2. Cyphon

Cyphon Journeyed there and back again

Red Rising, Golden Sun, and Morning Star. All 3 books of the same trilogy and all 3 the best 3 books I can think of to come out over the last 3 or so years. Can't recommend this trilogy enough.

And there will be a 4th book coming out in 2018 in the same universe.

3. MorteTorment

Glad that you got a lot of Red Rising Cyphon. That said, kinda surprised that that's it for you Nothing by Sanderson? Nothing by Mark Lawrence? Nothing that has a yearly release?

4. Cyphon

Sanderson had some decent releases the last few years but nothing great as I recall. Calamity was a solid ending to his Reckoners series (I liked it more than most) and the continuation of Mistborn was underwhelming for me. I thought the best of those was Alloy of Law and that was back past the point we are talking about.

As for Mark Lawrence I liked his first series but wasn't big on The Wheel of Osheim stuff which falls into the recent years we are discussing. I guess if I were mentioning something outside of the 3 that I already did I would go with the latest installments of the Alex Verus series or the Iron Druid stuff. They were all enjoyable continuations to series I consider good but they were nothing that immediately pops to mind when you say "best". So again, that for me was Red Rising, Golden Son, and Morning Star.

What do you mean by yearly release? The ones I mentioned were 2014, 2015, and 2016 and Iron Gold (the 4th book) will be 2018. Unless I am missing something I think that would qualify as yearly release.

5. MorteTorment

Ah, sorry that nothing interested you all that much with Sanderson,.

And yeah, guess that you did mention stuff with yearly releases, so thanks.

Oh, and if you'll accept a blind recommendation, I'm almost literally reading Sins of Empire right now. It is so damn good! I'd also recommend Red Sister greatly as well, but I imagine that you've already read it.

6. fl1pper

fl1pper Got in a fistfight with Dresden

I checked this out like I do a lot when people say books are great and found the first book is 99p on the UK Amazon Kindle site. I know there is a dedicated thread for posts like this but thought I'd mention it here in case anyone else is interested in these books based on this recommendation.

7. MorteTorment

Wow, that's fucking awesome man! Massive bonus points for you, as it's an insanely popular series that a lot of people love for very good reasons!

8. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Journeyed there and back again

Sf these two:

Chris Beckett's Dark Eden was fabulous.
    Jodi Taylor is great fun.
    Ian McDonald's Luna is great.

Fantasy peeps:

Adrian Tchaikovsky is breaking through big time.
    I love Bryan Wigmore's debut and other stuff of his I've read
    Jo Walton (writes both) is also great.

9. MorteTorment

Please just name series.

10. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Journeyed there and back again

Where was that asked for in the OP? If you want series only maybe update that post?

Eden trilogy
    St Mary's Chronicles
    Luna
    The Fire Stealers

11. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

I second Chris Beckett and Jodi Taylor!

12. Darwin

Darwin Journeyed there and back again

Agreed

13. btkong

btkong Journeyed there and back again Staff Member

Haven't been posting any recommendations while, but I thought I'd weigh in on some of the particularly good books I've encountered the past year or two. Ones that stand out; the ones that keep you up till 4 am in the morning type of books. There are more, but there are some strong books that immediately come to mind as they've made a particular impression on me.

My Picks for standout Fantasy / Science Fiction Published within the past 3 years

• Red Rising (best book this decade)
    • The Vagrant by Peter Newman (lovely book / series. Beautifully written, unique setting, and all round awesome)
    • A Confusion of Princes by Garth Nix -- awesome book and rings many of the same bells for those who love Red Rising. I'd say it's about the closest I've come to something similar by far. Must read
    • Paradox Bound by Peter Cline -- a hell of a lot of fun. Reminded me a bit of Stephen King's Gunslinger meets American Gods.
    • Scythe by Neal Shusterman - wonderful, poignant story.
    • Emperor's Blades -- awesome epic fantasy
    • Traitor's Son Cycle by Miles Cameron --- military fantasy meets epic fantasy that gets better each book and is now a completed series. Awesome. Popular around here
    • Shadow of What Was Lost -- the best Wheel of Time book since the Wheel of Time ended. This feels like Robert Jordan has been channeled from the dead and came back to write another, alternative version of The Wheel of Time.

Very Entertaining indie fantasy (best picks I've read)

• Trysmoon Saga (Ascension) -- First book is great heroic fantasy and a bit reminiscent of The Blood Song, despite the shaky plot. The sequels go way downhill though, so I only recommend the first book as the best.
    • The Gam3 -- fun science fiction litRPG. You'll probably like this if you enjoyed Ready Player One
    • Awaken Online -- the best example of litRPG and again, a great read. By far the best in the genre.
    • Sufficiently Advanced Magic -- Tomb Raider meets Name of the Wind Lite meets Harry Potter meets LitRPG. Very fun.
    • The Contractor -- probably one of my favorite indie fantasy books. If you loved Steelheart by Sanderson, this one hits the same notes but I argue is better in some ways with character development and dialogue. Can't wait for book 2.
    Other Random Fantasy that I Loved (not published within 3 years).

Grimnoir Chronicles by Larry Larry Correia -- These books were surprisingly good. An awesome blend of Urban Fantasy meets Alternative History. Good characters, interesting magic system, great action and a strong plot. I would say anyone who loves The Dresden Files or Alex Verus will enjoy this story. However, the plot is more focused and I'd say the story tends more towards epic. One of the better series I've read in the past few years, even if the first book came out back in 2011. A must read.

All You Need Is Kill Novel by Hiroshi Sakurazaka -- some of the best military science fiction I've read. Amazing and gripping to the end. This is what the Tom Cruise movie 'Edge of Tomorrow' is based on and there's a popular manga/anime. Read the novel (or listen to the audiobook). I guarantee this will be one of the most exciting reads you'll find.

14. Cyphon

Since you hyped up Red Rising I am trysting you on A Confusion of Princes and Shadow of What Was Lost. I will be grabbing these up.

15. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

I've read very few things I'd consider to be outstanding from the last few years tbh but The Fire Stealers would be my stand out. Falling just outside the time span and still awesome would be The Craft Sequence.

The Traitor Son comes close but there's so much happening and the bad dilutes the good.

16. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

I've read it and thought it was subpar compared to his other two books The Fold and 14. Was really disappointed because The Fold was so good.
    I would also never in a million years compare it to those two you mentions, but it just goes to show how vastly different our experiences of books are.