Journeyed there and back again
I was just thinking about the Wheel of Time and some old school epic fantasies. So many people loved the Lord of the Rings movies and yet new books tend to be trendy, crazy magic systems and less epic. I’m not saying that stuff is bad as variety is good but it seems old school is gone.
THINGS I MISS
THINGS I MISS
- Basic magic systems including runes. Having traditional wizards, spells and runes isn’t a bad thing. I don’t want wizards over powered but not every new adventure has to have a super unique magic system.
- Epic in nature. The big bad evil threat is out there and threatens everything. There is a clear agenda and struggle of good vs evil. Not a small scale or political battle, fighting simply for money and control of lands.
- The young saviour. I know everyone got tired of the young farm boy prophesied to save the world but I still love coming of age stories. I don’t want to revert to every major character able to live through every danger but I don’t need Martin like deaths of all our favourites either.
- Horses and bows and arrows. Hunting. Rural focal points. Maybe it’s just me but a lot of books I have read lately seem to be based in urban and larger city settings. I don’t want guns or more advanced weapons of any kind. Definitely no flintlock or steampunk fantasy. Swords and scorery please.
- Orcs and trollocs. Unexplainable hordes of mindless weird creatures are not entertaining to me. I don’t want talking animals or walking trees either.
- Elves, dwarves and other old school races. I like different cultures within a human race but I prefer them human. Pointy eared archers and small blacksmiths I can still handle to a degree but I don’t think those clear Dungeons and Dragons roles/characters are a good part of old school fantasy.
- Male dominated stories. Both men and women should play big roles.