What do you think of the GoodReads Fantasy BOTY nominations?

Darwin

Journeyed there and back again
I listened to the audiobook. Some of the bad accents distracted from the story, IMO. But still a great experience.

Peat

City of Stairs is pretty good. I loathe the fact its in present tense. Its like listening to a CD that drops odd micro-seconds of the music. More damningly, nothing about it sparks into life, which is a bit daunting in a long slow novel. But its still pretty good despite those really huge flaws, which is quite impressive really.

And that's the only one of them I've read.

Cyphon

City of Stairs is pretty good. I loathe the fact its in present tense. Its like listening to a CD that drops odd micro-seconds of the music. More damningly, nothing about it sparks into life, which is a bit daunting in a long slow novel. But its still pretty good despite those really huge flaws, which is quite impressive really.

And that's the only one of them I've read.
I think you touched on exactly why I didn't/wouldn't continue the series. Something about a series has to grab me and there was just nothing in it that did.

Darth Tater

I think you touched on exactly why I didn't/wouldn't continue the series. Something about a series has to grab me and there was just nothing in it that did.
What I’m seeing isn’t very encouraging but I plan to take a flier on book one anyhow and hope it’s a good match for my tastes.

Maark Abbott

Darth Tater

GENERALLY avoid YA books, and never heard of The Bear And The Nightingale prior to now, but sounds like an exception must be made.

Love Tad Williams and MSAT, IMO, is among the top series ever, so very eager to read The Witchwood Crown. However, committed to avoiding incomplete series so TRYING to hold off. Began Stormlight Archives prior to this mission so Oathbringer is in the on deck circle.

Peat

What I’m seeing isn’t very encouraging but I plan to take a flier on book one anyhow and hope it’s a good match for my tastes.
Take that flier. I think its a very good book, an interesting one, it just didn't catch with me. But it clearly caught with plenty and I'll recommend it to anyone who doesn't hate spies, gods, mysteries, non-white males and present tense.

I fookin' loathe present tense.