What Game are you Playing ?

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did a fallout marathon at the last couple of months of last year(played fallout 1, fallout 2, fallout 3 and fallout 4) which was quite fun. I didn't play new vegas because I had already beaten it twice and quite recently too.
Also finished SOMA right after that. Great game.
Most recently I finished Persona 4: dancing all night for PS Vita. I don't usually play rhythm games but I really liked persona 4 and its music so it was hard to pass up.
This week I've been playing a bunch of indie games and seeing what sticks and what doesn't. I also have to finish Rayman Legends that I've started some time ago.
Now I'm also installing World of Warships - thanks for the tip @Griffin!
I will be playing Fallout 4 for months and months ... I love it so much, I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. I did the Brotherhood of Steel mission today where you take a helicopter/airship over the city and OMG it's vast .. I had no idea it was so huge!

Nikos4

Told lies with Locke
I will be playing Fallout 4 for months and months ... I love it so much, I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. I did the Brotherhood of Steel mission today where you take a helicopter/airship over the city and OMG it's vast .. I had no idea it was so huge!
Yes! It really is a great game. I explored half the map before even visiting Diamond City, haha. The perk system and the shooting mechanics are both vastly improved compared to the previous games.
The biggest negative for me is the main story. I don't want to spoil anything, but it was quite disappointing. I planned to finish all the faction's quests, but after one, and seeing the wiki I didn't feel very motivated to do the rest. I think the main story's topic concerning the synths is very interesting but unfortunately it's not explored enough.
Oh, and the companions are awesome. I especially liked Strong and Nick Valentine (although Strong was hard to befriend - he dislikes picking locks and hacking!)

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes! It really is a great game. I explored half the map before even visiting Diamond City, haha. The perk system and the shooting mechanics are both vastly improved compared to the previous games.
The biggest negative for me is the main story. I don't want to spoil anything, but it was quite disappointing. I planned to finish all the faction's quests, but after one, and seeing the wiki I didn't feel very motivated to do the rest. I think the main story's topic concerning the synths is very interesting but unfortunately it's not explored enough.
Oh, and the companions are awesome. I especially liked Strong and Nick Valentine (although Strong was hard to befriend - he dislikes picking locks and hacking!)
I'm kinda leaving the main storyline for the moment. To be honest I spend so much time making sure all my settlements are happy that I don't have too much time for anything else!

Anti_Quated

Journeyed there and back again
Have fired up the Wii for the first time in two years and have been getting staunchly thrashed at the Wii Sports Resort by my wife, who otherwise never plays video games. I'm thinking of getting her screened for doping; it's ridiculous how badly I lose to her at times.
I also delved into the first Bioshock finally. The art-deco stylings are gorgeous and really set the tone, though gameplay isn't quite what I'd hoped for and I've been away from the FPS genre for long enough that I feel rusty and am not enjoying the game as much as I'd hoped. Back to Dark Souls, perhaps, now that we're not fighting anymore.

uptower

Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon
Back to Skyrim these days - oh TES is a beautiful poison. It could be years before the next one but till then I'm looking forward to Skywind and Skyblivion. I do think with Skyrim's engine and OB's world I might just give up life altogether.

Otherwise, might give Primal Hunt and Ghost Recon: Wildlands a go if I can get a new gaming PC this year. Always wanted an open world tactical shooter and Afghanistan or some central Asian spot might have been better than Bolivia, but I'll give it a go.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Back to Skyrim these days - oh TES is a beautiful poison. It could be years before the next one but till then I'm looking forward to Skywind and Skyblivion. I do think with Skyrim's engine and OB's world I might just give up life altogether.
I think I've reached a stage in life where I can't truly enjoy a game unless it's got 'Elder Scrolls' or 'Fallout' in the title. Sad, but true.

Anti_Quated

@Anti_Quated, Bioshock isn't the best FPS and never was. The art and story are why people like it, and I definitely recommend keeping up with it for the latter reason alone - it's one of the games I mention whenever people think games can't be art.
I'll do my best to persevere, but likely only for the gorgeous visuals - feckless and shallow, guilty as charged, but damn if it isn't gratuitously engaging eye candy. The premise for the story seems compelling enough, but I'm only up to chasing Dr Happy-Slash so I'm hoping there's a lot more meat to dig into. Cheers for the recommendation though as I was wavering some.

btkong

Staff member
Xcom: Enemy Within

I've never played any of the xcom games before and picked up xcom: enemy within and enemy unknown during the steam sale last month.'

I'm hooked -- it's just about the best game I've played in a long long time.

Can't wait till xcom 2 in a week!

btkong

Staff member

I've never played any of the xcom games before and picked up xcom: enemy within and enemy unknown during the steam sale last month.'

Maark Abbott

I've not really been gaming much recently but plan to get back on the Hori and practice my BlazBlue. I really should give the wife (I main Mu-12) more attention, especially with Stein combos, but lately I've been playing more Tager and Azrael (overdrive 720c is love).

Also going to pick up Resident Evil 0 HD tonight as it's payday.

Maark Abbott

I could always talk in combo notation? That's a lark. 2b 5c 6c 63214b 6a 2c 2d 2c 6d jc j5c j2c.

I also have a sudden hankering to play Spore again.

Kalavan

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen: an open world ARPG - although I'm playing it more like a dungeon crawler of sorts - with a good combat system? I'm in love

Yes, perhaps a little bit simplicistic for a turn-based geek such as myself, but definitely addicting. If you've finished it take a look at the Long War mod - simply amazing.
Stoked as well for XCOM 2

Maark Abbott

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen: an open world ARPG - although I'm playing it more like a dungeon crawler of sorts - with a good combat system? I'm in love

Yes, perhaps a little bit simplicistic for a turn-based geek such as myself, but definitely addicting. If you've finished it take a look at the Long War mod - simply amazing.
Stoked as well for XCOM 2
I've been eyeing DDDA for a while. Any games you'd say it's comparable to?

Also edited because I put my query into the middle of your post like a derp.

Kalavan

I've been eyeing DD:DA for a while. Any games you'd say it's comparable to?
I'm not really a fan of open world ARPG, so I can't draw any comparison there. The world, while quite expansive, for the moment seems a lot more contained than on Skyrim or other such titles. But that could be up to my playing style, rushing through the quests and the encounters, I guess you could wander and get lost in it quite a bit if that's what you're looking for - but since the enemies re-spawns quite frequently, and considered that they don't auto-levels up, you'll probably become too OP after a while.

As per the combat system, it's quite similar to the first Devil May Cry - developed by the same team - plus the option to climb on huge monsters a-la Shadow of the Colossus.
The pawn system - your followers, one created by you, other two selected between those created by other players - is quite interesting, and while the graphics could be a little bit dated, I really like the art direction

Maark Abbott

Picked up Resident Evil 0 HD on Saturday. It still plays beautifully, and all the backgrounds have been redrawn in HD (one of my big issues with ReMake HD was that they recycled some 480p backgrounds and it's very easy to spot, especially in the Tank Control Room). They've even touched a few of the cutscenes up, as well.

btkong

Staff member
xcom. I put in a solid week and beat it. Lots of save scumming and only on Normal, but I'm not one of those crazy strategy types who likes to endure pain by playing on the hard settings and watching 40 hours of work wiped out. Awesome game, though it got repetitive and boring about 70 percent of the way through when you kind of run out of things to do.

I pre-ordered xcom 2 (got it for 40 percent off at https://www.instant-gaming.com for only 32 USD rather than the 60 USD retail price steam wants to charge you. Looks like Xcom 2 has vastly improved everything about xcom and all the reviews give it like 9 out of 10. Potential game of the year.

So yea, I'll be losing my life to Xcom 2 in a few days.

After, likely I'll beat Shadowrun: Dragonfall then go back to Dragon Age Inquisition and try to beat it (I got bored 30 hours in...). Then it's either Witcher 3 OR pillars of eternity, or Farcry 4 after.

btkong

Staff member
Everyone is talks about The Long War mod -- it does look interesting. But I found myself bored 60 to 70 percent of the way through when I ran out of rankings to promote my soldiers, new weapons, and new stuff to research. Though yea, I didn't play on the super hard difficulties. I think Xcom 2 is going to fix all that and those Long War mod guys even made 3 mods for Xcom 2 for the release.

Kalavan

I think Xcom 2 is going to fix all that and those Long War mod guys even made 3 mods for Xcom 2 for the release.
Nice! I thought they were developin' some sort of grand strategy game about an alien invasion, now I'm curious to see what they can realize with a supposedly more mod-friendly title such as XCOM2. But the first run will definitely be vanilla

Shorty

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Everyone is talks about The Long War mod -- it does look interesting. But I found myself bored 60 to 70 percent of the way through when I ran out of rankings to promote my soldiers, new weapons, and new stuff to research. Though yea, I didn't play on the super hard difficulties. I think Xcom 2 is going to fix all that and those Long War mod guys even made 3 mods for Xcom 2 for the release.
X com is so far my favorite single player game.

I also really loved the long war mod but for one exception. Shooting down ufos. It is so hard, even with 3 fully upgraded firestorms on every continent. But alone the new weopans and perks and especially the improved classes made this game so wonderful. I played it for months - yeah long war is really long - but I never reached a stage where there was nothing to do. Since Mecs come very late in the game, it takes a lot of time to get a few of them on max level and research is so wide that I had stuff to research nearly to the end. And then you can and need very strong Psi soldiers for the final missions.

I already cleared the main game with addon several times but long war improved the game like a lot.

So yea, I'll be losing my life to Xcom 2 in a few days.
Xcom 2 is already preordered and was downloaded last night. As soon as I finish work today I will will conquer back the earth from those evil advent regime guys.

mod guys even made 3 mods for Xcom 2 for the release
Yeah but nothing big I think, one new weapon, one new enemy and the third I don't remember. But the imrpoved Mod usage will be great I guess.