What Game are you Playing ?

btkong

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
Xcom 2 -- I've had it since the Feb 5th when it came out. I've gone to bed 4 am two days in a row and put another full day into it.

So yes, I'm playing this one hard!

Maark Abbott

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrocket League is SO DAMN GOOD.

btkong

Staff member
Beat XCOM 2. Took about a week of my life. I'm not one of those hardcore types who likes pain and wants to replay for tactical challenges. I beat it and I'm moving on. I'd rate it a solid 9/10, but I'm not interested in a replay.

Now I'm working on Shadowrun: Dragonfall Directors Edition. It's kind of like an XCOM meets Planescape Torment -- RPG meets Tactical Strategy game.

So far, it's pretty good. Good story and tactical battles.

Maark Abbott

Been no-lifing Stardew Valley. It's basically Harvest Moon on PC and drawn in MS paint, except the guy has looked at decades worth of Harvest Moon and Rune Factory and asked 'what are some things people don't like about these games that I can fix?'

Oh, and when I say 'the guy', I mean 'the guy', singular. It was made by one guy.

It's amazing.
I hope it wasn't made by The Guy though, because he killed Former Grandfather The Guy.

Anti_Quated

Have been reading far less, but more Dark Souls. Fast becoming a dedicated Sunbro and I haven't even started DS2 yet (Jolly Co-operation it the most opportune and necessary of circumstances has endeared me enormously to Solaire of Astora. What a great guy).
Also, the Onion Knight's tubby wanderlust amuses me.

Anti_Quated

Yes:(
I cannot save him this play-through because I killed a certain Chaos Firekeeper out of spite for her bitchy sister.

It weighs on me all the more because that same pervading, all-encompassing desolation of the spirit is so prevalent in reality... bleak are my feels, but I adore this game, and so will gird my loins in lambent faith, that one day I may also be grossly incandescent.

I'm really enjoying the challenge and the sense of adventure required to immerse myself in the lore and truly explore the heights and depths. Also, with regard to how oppressively sombre the tone of the game can be, it manages to do without being a total drag and seeming unbalanced or excessively bleak. I can't wait for DS2. But many are the souls I must harvest, for the hunger of my blade is never sated.

Maark Abbott

I loved everything about Dark Souls too, and the depth of its setting and 'figure it out yourself' attitude to the reasons for... everything... made it one of the most intriguing experiences in gaming.

Unfortunately, I had to discover it watching my partner play because I hated, hated, fucking hated the non-optional PvP invasions. I found them immersion-destroying and offensive - one shouldn't have to disconnect one's internet entirely to enjoy the privilege of playing a game one paid for in peace.

I loved the game's combat mechanics and really enjoyed the single-player aspects I got to play, but the random PvP made it unplayable for me. You just plain can't have random PvP in a game like this: it is an incredibly tightly designed piece of art with every challenge placed just so. Random harder-than-boss attacks at pivotal moments are completely unacceptable; it's as though there were a random chance of getting punched in the fucking tit while walking through the Louvre. Which I suppose there technically is, but that's another matter.
Coming soon: Street Fighter's new stage, The Louvre.

Actually that'd probably work quite well.

Anti_Quated

I loved everything about Dark Souls too, and the depth of its setting and 'figure it out yourself' attitude to the reasons for... everything... made it one of the most intriguing experiences in gaming.

Unfortunately, I had to discover it watching my partner play because I hated, hated, fucking hated the non-optional PvP invasions. I found them immersion-destroying and offensive - one shouldn't have to disconnect one's internet entirely to enjoy the privilege of playing a game one paid for in peace.

I loved the game's combat mechanics and really enjoyed the single-player aspects I got to play, but the random PvP made it unplayable for me. You just plain can't have random PvP in a game like this: it is an incredibly tightly designed piece of art with every challenge placed just so. Random harder-than-boss attacks at pivotal moments are completely unacceptable; it's as though there were a random chance of getting punched in the fucking tit while walking through the Louvre. Which I suppose there technically is, but that's another matter.
I cancelled my xbox live subscription years ago so I don't get the random PVP invasions, just pure focused fun and jolly co-operation for some boss fights. And I think your appraisal regarding single-player immersion as a result is spot-on, the sense of isolation and immersion in Lordran is all the more palpable because I'm not forced to share it with anyone or have frenzied, aberrant pugilists wander in unannounced and uninvited. Personal bro quest with Solaire is personal.

Maark Abbott

Got a few on the go just now.

Thief 2014 - never finished it on 360 so playing through on the XB1. Up to the Moira Asylum level.

KOTOR2 - with the missing content pack available on Steam I figured I'd go this again despite it only being a year since I played it last. Fantastic game on the whole until you get to the end where it fell apart.

BB:CPEx - practicing with the waifu, Tager and Azrael. Mate Andy plays Ragna and is learning Makoto so I need to brush up on how to deal with their pressure, and especially how to deal with Raggy's corner game because generally as soon as he puts me there my life gets difficult. Handy to know that I can beat out his super with a well-timed 360B, though.

Rocket League: Trying to get better at corner pressuring the other team. Getting the hang of it now, though my tendency in ranked is to play a control game in midfield (keep them out of our half and punt the ball at them as often as I can) and then offensive support when we push up the pitch.

Also just finished System Shock 2. That ending.

SHODAN: (para) Join me.
PC: ...Naaaah. *shoots*

thero159

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
Got a few on the go just now.

Thief 2014 - never finished it on 360 so playing through on the XB1. Up to the Moira Asylum level.

KOTOR2 - with the missing content pack available on Steam I figured I'd go this again despite it only being a year since I played it last. Fantastic game on the whole until you get to the end where it fell apart.

BB:CPEx - practicing with the waifu, Tager and Azrael. Mate Andy plays Ragna and is learning Makoto so I need to brush up on how to deal with their pressure, and especially how to deal with Raggy's corner game because generally as soon as he puts me there my life gets difficult. Handy to know that I can beat out his super with a well-timed 360B, though.

Rocket League: Trying to get better at corner pressuring the other team. Getting the hang of it now, though my tendency in ranked is to play a control game in midfield (keep them out of our half and punt the ball at them as often as I can) and then offensive support when we push up the pitch.

Also just finished System Shock 2. That ending.

SHODAN: (para) Join me.
PC: ...Naaaah. *shoots*
I've played Thief 2014 but had to stop at the Moira Asylum level, I hated that level...

Maark Abbott

I've played Thief 2014 but had to stop at the Moira Asylum level, I hated that level...
It's not as good as Robbing The Cradle, granted, but it was still pretty well designed. I think on 360 I got as far as mission 8 or something? A mission or two after you return to Northcrest Manor.

thero159

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
It's not as good as Robbing The Cradle, granted, but it was still pretty well designed. I think on 360 I got as far as mission 8 or something? A mission or two after you return to Northcrest Manor.
I enjoyed Thief, I just hate creepy asylum levels in any video game. I found the atmosphere got to me. I guess the game did that level a little too well...

Maark Abbott

I enjoyed Thief, I just hate creepy asylum levels in any video game. I found the atmosphere got to me. I guess the game did that level a little too well...
Ever play Deadly Shadows? Robbing the Cradle is hands down one of the best levels in any game ever.

Maark Abbott

The Dark Project and The Metal Age are essential. Deadly Shadows not so much but it's worth a go through just for the Cradle.

Maark Abbott

I'll have to get round to playing them soon then!
Awesome, have fun with that! T1/2 are two of my favourite games. If you do get them, set difficulty to Expert (all it does is increase your objectives/enemies per level, and decrease your maximum HP) and get cracking.

On my part, I'm experimenting with Azrael combos on BlazBlue. I've gotten the Valiant Crash loop down (236C 6 5c 6 5c 6 5c 6 6b 6 6a > TCL) which gets decent reward but I am wondering if I can also go into Hornet Bunker if they also have lower weakpoint active? So after the 6a we'd go 214d j5c j5c j5c j5c delay j5d/j2d. As the standard Valiant loop which ignores TCL at the end nets about 3k, I reckon adding Hornet to the end would add 1k on top, it's just a case of 'does the Valiant knockback persist for enough frames after this, or will I need to rapid to pull this off?'.

Zymologist

Has been in the eye of the world
I've been playing through Dark Souls 1 again lately, this time with some friends on the PC port. The port isn't great, but the game still is. We play together by using a connection mod, which doesn't always work super well.

I'm doing a pure strength build that would be totally ludicrous for PvP, but I'm just doing it for fun. Basically, high enough endurance to medium roll with full Smough's armor set, and enough strength to one-hand the Smough hammer. Though the Smough hammer isn't my main weapon, it's just a for-fun aside. The Great Club +15 is my main.

Maark Abbott

Following on from my above post, my feyt partner is learning Makoto, and has learned that her Space Counter can actually guard point my Astral (Patriot Apocalypse). Don't know if it'll GP my main's AH (Sword of the Godslayer, which I think hits low?) or the other sub's (because King of Tager is a grab). I suppose I'm going to have to not use Azrael's AH as a ghetto reversal and either combo into it from Valiant Charger (which would just be a case of Crash > Charger to the corner > AH) or off of any raw hit.