What have you cooked/eaten lately?

Discussion in 'Anything' started by lyraseven, Jun 10, 2015.

1. lyraseven

lyraseven Found the path to Fillory

x

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  2. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

I've cooked no end of mush recently, for baby. Chicken, sweet potato and apple mush. Red lentil and sweet potato mush. Mackerel, potato and broccoli mush. Bolognese mush. Various vegetable mushes.

And because of baby, I too have been trying to save money on general food shopping. I've started doing my weekly food shop online (Sainsbury's), which makes it SO much easier to see how much you're spending, fish out the good deals, and generally shop a lot more efficiently. That, as well as visiting the local 'cheap' supermarket (Aldi), to buy lower price fruit & veg. So food hasn't been massively exciting for me the last few months - I do all the cooking in our house (ever since I caught the Mrs marinating a chicken breast in HP brown sauce), and normally make a risotto once a week, have pasta a couple times a week, rice + curry/chilli con carne once a week. We tend to get fish & chips once a week, and quite often get a Chinese takeaway on a Saturday night.

Eating out has dried up A LOT since baby too! Used to be fairly regular .. now perhaps once every couple weeks(ish)...

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. TomTB

He/she used love as a weapon if I remember correctly. My reputation obviously precedes me :cigar:

How strange .. I made a leek and crispy bacon risotto last night!

4. wakarimasen

wakarimasen Journeyed there and back again

eating a croissant... it's going everywhere

5. TomTB

bloody croissants ... it's impossible for them not to go everywhere! I always adopt either the 'put plate under your chin' or 'lean over plate' approach, but either way I'll end up looking a bit special!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Danica

Danica Queen of the boards! Staff Member

My poor family. It has been chicken or steak with a whole bunch of steamed garlic greens for a most days this week, they get cous cous with the dinner or jacket sweet potato with bacon and garlic. I don't really cook fancy things, we just eat out A LOT, like spend a lot of money on eating out. But I don't have kids so I don't care.

7. Danica

I steam brocolli and beans, sauté them in a pan with kale and spinach and chuck a lot of garlic in :) So i guess mine is a two step process.

8. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

Eating like that in Australia is what turned me vegetarian 22 years ago.

I am cooking a lot of Indian food lately. No special dishes, just generic. Because I got like 8 pounds of flour and dal to review on Amazon so I have to use it. But hey, free groceries.

ETA: No risotto for me because I don't eat white rice (or white pasta or white flour). Unless I make it with hull-less barley, which takes like 90 minutes to cook so I don't do it often.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Yesterday I made Chicken Madras. I had never made it before, but it actually turned out quite good. I really love cooking, but I don't often get the chance because of my working hours (got summer holiday now). Usually my wife cooks. She is a decent cook, but she normally only cooks typical Dutch fare (potatoes, veggies, 1 piece of meat). Whenever something exotic needs to be cooked (which is about three times a week), I am the man.

10. TomTB

I can safely say that if I shared your eating habits I would weigh at least 4 stones lighter! I can't remember a day I didn't eat meat, white rice/pasta, or something with white flour in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TomTB

That's an approach I've always gone for. I'll cook the thickly sliced onions for a couple of hours on the lowest heat - bit of a faff, but gives the best results!

12. Sneaky Burrito

I still eat a lot of carbs. Just whole grains instead of refined. Whole wheat bread, whole grain pasta (brown rice or whole wheat usually). Quinoa. Brown rice. Etc. My triglycerides and total cholesterol improved dramatically just from that switch. It's a matter of playing around with brands until you find something that has a good texture. Can't make recommendations though as I'm not sure what is available outside the US. We do have Aldi here, though I have never been in one.

13. Sneaky Burrito

I don't really use recipes for most cooking (unless it's baking -- although then I make flour substitutions). I might start with a recipe but after making something 10 or 15 times, I've changed it a lot.

The barley risotto is somewhat chewier. It's a similar concept but I usually just boil the heck out of it instead of doing the slow simmer with lots of stirring because of the cooking time. I use this:

http://www.bobsredmill.com/whole-hull-less-barley.html

It is NOT the same as pearled barley. It is a whole grain and has A LOT more fiber. (You will want to limit consumption the first few times you try it and also drink a lot of water. Trust me on this; there is a reason for the all caps...)

But yeah, saute a diced onion until it's translucent, throw in the barley and saute for another minute or two, add some white wine and cook it down, then put in the broth. I usually bring to a boil and then drop it down to a simmer. I stir, but not nearly as much as you'd do with arborio rice. You'll have to check the level of broth periodically because you're cooking for a long time. And the 90 minutes is a matter of personal taste for me. You could go more (or less).

14. Danica

I feel like aussies are getting picked on lately here. What was it about our diet that turned you veggie @Sneaky Burrito ?

15. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Cooked a lunch for my bf to take to work. Creamed spinach and rib eye steak.
    For myself I'll make cauliflower gratin and the said stake. And for dinner I have creamy veggie soup, and chicken/veggie stir fry and tomato-fresh cheese salad.

16. TomTB

Rib-eye steak for lunch ?? You're livin' the good-life !!

17. Alucard

The meat is less expensive here than the rest of the Europe. We are generally big meat eaters especially beef, veal and lamb. 2 pound (1 kilo) rib eye cut is around 7 euros here.

Our standard is lower, so are our salaries, so the prices are lower as well.

18. TomTB

I'm packing my suitcase as I type! You have a spare room? :happy:

19. Alucard

Haha, nope. But maybe I can send you some, and you send me some cod so I can make damn fish and chips. We're pretty much landlocked (almost) and I developed a taste for cod in Japan. No need to send spuds, I have plenty of those.

20. TomTB

Aahh yes, we've got cod coming out of our ears over here .. I can't guarantee next day delivery though, so can't vouch for freshness ;)