What have you cooked/eaten lately?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member

Teresa Edgerton

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
I've been eating a lot of hash brown potato patties lately. Easy to cook, fairly easy on my stomach, and sufficiently food-like that I don't feel guilty eating them. Unlike potato chips.

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
Been cooking up a storm lately.
Last week was alligator sauce piquant , followed by braised frogs legs, and a flounder polante
This week a big pot of 19 bean soup with a Cajun twist.

Bierschneeman

19??? I can name about 6...
I cheated, I started with a 15 bean mix, then added a few to make up for it not being enough for recipe.

Let me try and label (and fail)
  1. Garbanzo bean
  2. Lima bean
  3. Red bean
  4. Navy bean
  5. Red kidney bean
  6. White northern bean
  7. Black bean
  8. Black eyed peas
  9. Split green pea
  10. Split yellow pea
  11. Anasazi bean
  12. Green bean
  13. Butter bean
  14. Pinto bean
  15. Pink bean
  16. Black lentil
  17. Baby Lima bean

TThat's all I can think of

Edit After cheating I found that small red kidney beans, and she'll beans were also in there

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I cheated, I started with a 15 bean mix, then added a few to make up for it not being enough for recipe.

Let me try and label (and fail)
  1. Garbanzo bean
  2. Lima bean
  3. Red bean
  4. Navy bean
  5. Red kidney bean
  6. White northern bean
  7. Black bean
  8. Black eyed peas
  9. Split green pea
  10. Split yellow pea
  11. Anasazi bean
  12. Green bean
  13. Butter bean
  14. Pinto bean
  15. Pink bean
  16. Black lentil
  17. Baby Lima bean

TThat's all I can think of

Edit After cheating I found that small red kidney beans, and she'll beans were also in there
This post made me remember a scene in the movie Forest Gump where Bubba explains all the uses of shrimp to Bubba.

Matticus Primal

Currently in the middle of making buttermilk fried chickenstrip sandwiches that have been sous vided in pickle juice and topped with cajun mayo. It sounds wacky, but believe me, you won't eat better.

Later tonight, I'm going to find a recipe for Ent blood sausage for the vegetarians out there...

Andrew.J

I've been making a lot of hot cocoa recently. But instead of using just milk, I use condensed milk as a base + cinnamon and cardamom and high quality cocoa powder. Tastes really good.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been making a lot of hot cocoa recently. But instead of using just milk, I use condensed milk as a base + cinnamon and cardamom and high quality cocoa powder. Tastes really good.
I think the cinnamon would ruin that for me. Not a fan of it at all in sweet things, however (weirdly enough) am a big fan of it in savoury dishes.

Andrew.J

I think the cinnamon would ruin that for me. Not a fan of it at all in sweet things, however (weirdly enough) am a big fan of it in savoury dishes.
There are few types of cinnamon. The most common nowadays falls under the Cassia umbrella. It's cheap and tastes quite horrible, imo, bitter too, even if the scent is pleasant + it has a component that is toxic to the liver. If you ever have the chance try Ceylon cinnamon (from Sri Lanka). It's significantly more expensive, but the taste is exquisite - lighter, sweeter and healthy too.
Adding a tiny bit of vanilla to cacao is great as well. Brings out the taste and makes it more chocolate-y. Useful for cakes as well.

kenubrion

I tried to make sushi but because we don't have any source for fresh hamachi, maguro or ono I used canned tuna, canned sardines and canned oysters on lumps of sticky rice.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tried to make sushi but because we don't have any source for fresh hamachi, maguro or ono I used canned tuna, canned sardines and canned oysters on lumps of sticky rice.
I really do mean no offence, but that doesn't sound as though it probably would've ended up so well!?

kenubrion

You're right, it didn't. Actually the only time I eat sardines is on fishing trips. I put a can in my fishing vest so I can eat lunch without going back to camp.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I've been spoiled with enjoying real Japanese sushi for 3 years, with fresh Japanese fish, so much so that sushi I find in German restaurants which is made with frozen fish tastes really bland and honestly bad. Best case scenario is shelling out 30-40 EUR for sushi that is konbini level at best and I really don't enjoy doing that. I can't imagine putting canned fish on rice and calling it sushi. That is heresy kenubrion! :D
Why didn't you make tuna salad or tuna and mayo sandwich? I mean you have all these great American options, might as well use them.

I do wonder though if countries in Europe that have more sea access than Germany, like England, Ireland and Scandinavian countries have better sushi in their restaurants. It is absolute imperative to use fresh fish that has not been frozen and then defrosted if you want to eat Japanese level sushi.

kenubrion

My wife made dolmades yesterday. She is Greek and her Greek dishes are great.

Dolmades are stuffed grape leaves filled with ground lamb, scallions, jasmine rice, fresh mint, red currants and pine nuts.

Hold the sardines.

Bierschneeman

My wife made dolmades yesterday. She is Greek and her Greek dishes are great.

Dolmades are stuffed grape leaves filled with ground lamb, scallions, jasmine rice, fresh mint, red currants and pine nuts.

Hold the sardines.
mmm... Dolmades... *drool*

Bierschneeman

I have just (Friday) decided I am going to eat my way around the world.

Mostly because my lifelong goal is to travel the world (since I was a tyke) and I will never be rich enough to do so.

so 195 recognized countries, (minus Vatican because it doesn't have a unique long term food culture, plus Scotland and Whales)
Three dishes for each country, I have to have real food from there, I have to be able to purchase it while in the country (so American pizza, nachos or chimichangas, or general tso's chicken, all count as American , not Italian, Mexican, or Chinese)(or that pork vindaloo counts as English, not indian) famous restaurants known for authentic, count. good friends from said countries, count.

so far I have dregged up the old cook books and some handwritten recipes I received from native friends and knocked out Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam, Myanmar, Bangladesh, India, and tomorrow is leftover day.

I'm having a lot of fun too, which is the most important.