What have you cooked/eaten lately?

Discussion in 'Anything' started by lyraseven, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

If you need any ideas for a Dutch dish; I've got your back. I'm thinking either boerenkool met worst or perhaps stampot met gehaktballen. A lot of Dutch dishes are winter dishes, so give me a shout out when the first snows start falling and I''ll hook you up.

2. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

I'm learning german, and this looks vaguely familiar lol
    So without the help of google translate let me try and decipher this as I would if I was in a dutch restaurant
    met reminds me of german 'mit' so I'm guessing that's 'with'
    worst is probably wurst, so sausage
    and boerenkool I have no idea, although saying it reminds me of german 'kohl' so cabbage.

So this is some kind of cabbage with sausage?

stampot doesn't ring a bell.
    met is mit is with
    gehakt is similar to german gehackt which is chopped or minced. Hackfleisch is mince in german for example.
    ballen is balls probably, so gehaktballen is minced meat-balls, so meatballs?

So this is something with meatballs?

How did I do Silv? Can I trust myself to order something decent in a dutch restaurant? :D

3. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

Good chance snow won't fall where he lives...

4. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

If you're interested, I have something for Christmas time as well. We have something called 'kūčiukai' where I live (they have different names in different regions). They're flour chips with poppy seeds that can be eaten alone or soaked in poppy seed milk. This dessert is traditionally served with a thick cranberry drink 'kisielius'. They're one of the best things about Christmas for me. I can hook you up with a recipe. :D

Here's a link to google images to get an idea of what they look like.

5. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

ohh, ill take you up on that for sure. I know nothing of Dutch cooking.

no, I don't get a lot of snow... possible one or two flurries... likely zero sticks

Ohh I did a count before I started, I have had meals from 60 countries. but ill start over for this.

@Andrew.J what country are those from?

6. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

I love the international flavor of this place. So interesting.

7. Silvion Night

You did exceptionally well Alucard. Boerenkool met worst is a dish that contains potatoes, boerenkool/farmer's cabbage (typical Dutch type of winter cabbage which is harvested after the first frosts), gravy, little strips of spek (bacon) and rookwost (a fatty smoked sausage). It's absolutely delicious. It looks like this:

[​IMG]

And again you're right on spot with stamppot met gehaktbal. If made with carrots its called hutspot. It's a dish with potatoes, carrots, unions and gravy mashed together with meatballs on the side. It looks like this:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Alucard

I didn't know I would be so close, but it's comforting to know I can use German as a crutch in Dutch restaurant if I ever end up in one :) Although, I think English is pretty normal to use all over Europe in restaurants, and I think you guys have one of the highest rates for English speakers in Europe, apart from UK of course.
    Not sure I would order any of those two though they look delicious and very much like comfort food to me. I eat mainly vegetarian now, although not exclusively.

Bierschneeman if you like any of the stuff from my post http://bestfantasybooks.com/forums/threads/what-have-you-cooked-eaten-lately.2245/page-7#post-45405
    let me know and I'll give you the recipe.

9. Silvion Night

According to some studies the % of English speakers (those that can make themselves understandable in the language) is actually higher in the Netherlands than in England. Go figure.

And you are right: German and Dutch are very similar in that most people would understand most of what you are saying when you speak German (slowly). I've been told it's a bit like Portuguese and Spanish.

The cuisines of Germany and the Netherlands are somewhat similar too (although we can't boast of a haute cuisine, like I mentioned some years ago in this thread). Still sausages, unions and cabbages are some common popular foodstuffs. I guess the thing that really differentiates our cuisine from that of the Germans is fish (mussels, clams, herring, macrow etc).

• Like Like x 1
  10. Alucard

I didn't know that. That's hilarious :D

11. Silvion Night

Just found out its also not true (its a meme from a popular comedian here in NL. I should have known...)

These are the actual numbers:
    [​IMG]

upload_2017-8-4_14-45-42.png

Still, we're pretty close.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

That looks wonderful. My wife likes to make new stuff (to us) so maybe I'll get lucky, as I did 41 years ago when she said I do.

We had Chinese last night. And today I'm hungry again. It's true what they say about Chinese food.

13. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

14. Bierschneeman

week two, of "around the world in 80 Plates"
    I did Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Italy, Vanuatu

I reaize I should give highlights
    from last week, Singapore xi yang cai zhu gu tang, pork rib soup. I can give a recipe if youd like, super easy.
    and a Bangladeshi Goat dish I got from a good Bangladeshi friend in college.
    MYANMAR SUCKS, all three meals were horrible (given ive tried cooking Bitter Melon several times now, its always sucks, so one of them)

this week it was the Israeli Pastel, the Iraqi Mekhlama.
    But Vanuatu, was the low point, everything was made with Banannas and Coconut, it was good, or okay. but I'm thinking this is a sneak preview of what I will being eating to represent every isolated pacific Island nation. that's a lot of banana and coconut in my future.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bierschneeman

This week Nepal, Oman, Phillipines, Qatar, Fiji, France, Greece
    I live in Louisiana, so I'm surrounded by French bakerys, one of my favorite Nepalese dishes is a garlicky potato dish.

Oman was quite interesting with Kabouli, very familiar to the Afghani Qoboli I will cook tonight. (I grew up on something very similar, but it may have been a morrocan version, or, it seems this dish is pretty universal in the whole region from Morrocco to the stans.