What Movie or TV show are you watching?

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by sopranosfan, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

Game of thrones, and dick van dyke

2. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Few days ago I finished 2nd season of The Man in the High Castle. I was worried that it will suck, because they exhausted all the source material (i.e Philip K. Dick book) in the 1st season, but it seems like they thrived instead. I would argue that the 2nd season is even better than the 1st. So that was a nice surprise.

Finishing Westworld now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

I should check that one out. I really liked Dick's novel.

4. ReguIa

ReguIa Journeyed there and back again

I barely watch anything now. It's usually what happens when I read this much, and when I binge some show I don't have time left for reading..

Need to catch up on Grimm, Supernatural, pick up where I left off on X-Files, The Big Bang Theory ..

Also thinking about plowing through J Nolan's Westworld. After Person of Interest I will watch anything by him.

5. Alucard

That's just the thing though. It's very loosely based on the book. But they did work with and adapt some parts and characters well.
    I like the book too, but the book is brainy and thought provoking, while the show is more about action and suspence.
    They're both good.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Derk of Derkholm

Derk of Derkholm Journeyed there and back again

As I quite liked the first season and was curious how it would end, I bought the book by Philip K. Dick and was a bit disappointed that it actually did not have some kind of end tying up all the lose ends. So I hope that the people making the series can come up with something :)

7. Derk of Derkholm

Just watched seasons 1-5 of Downton Abbey (and waiting for season 6 to become available for free on Amazon prime :D)

8. Matticus Primal

Matticus Primal Became a Faceless Man

Finished the first season of The Magicians, based on the Lev Grossman book/ series, last night. I should probably note that I didn't care for the series in the least and stopped after book one.

That said, the show was both pretty good as well as staying pretty close to the source material (at least from what I remember). Now that I think about it, I definitely enjoyed the show more than the book. For one thing, they made the characters... well, "more likable" isn't really right. I guess "less unlikable" than the book. The acting was pretty good overall, and they did quite a lot on what looked like a middling budget.

The issues I had with it all stem from the source material, including the sudden structural missteps of not actually heading to Filory (sic?) until the last two episodes, which caused a sort of tonal whiplash. And also, you know, all the characters are pretty much whiny pricks that make stupid choices to serve the plot. So I'd like to personally slap them around a bit, but I believe that's sort of the point of the series.

All in all though, a pretty solid show that I'll probably continue watching. The wife has not read the books, and she was entertained, which I wondered about while we were watching.

9. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I'm currently watching Grimm. Season 6 has aired recently and it's looking really good so far. I loved the first 2 episodes. It's the final season too, so things are picking up really quickly.
    I've also started watching Penny Dreadful again. I'm half-way through the 2nd season right now. Really cool stuff.

10. Alucard

Me too! It's very fast paced, no filler episodes, it's all main plot innit? I'm kind of sad that it will end, I've been watching it from the start in 2011.

I finished Penny Dreadful couple of months ago, and while I enjoyed the last season, I was disappointed in the ending. But I won't say anything more, don't wanna spoil things for you.

11. Andrew.J

Yeah. I've become attached to the characters over the course of the show. It's sad that the show is ending (in just 11 episodes too), but at least the creators aren't milking it for as long they can. At some point it's best to wrap it up. :)
    I've accidentally spoiled myself already. It's those damned tweets. If you're late and missed out on some of the latest episodes, you can't go on social media. You see something completely unrelated to the show and then at the very bottom of the post... BAM!
    It's just like Vanessa Ives dying, right? Hahaha.
    So funny :finger:.
    I'm still enjoying the show very much, though. It inspired me to read a couple of books like Frankenstein and The Picture of Dorian Gray and introduced me to some poetry too!
    This is one of my favourite scenes in the show so far:

12. Andrew.J

I watched Fantastical Beasts and Where to Find Them on Sunday. It was quite terrible, to be honest. Very light on the plot and character development, and predictable too. With the exception of the special effects that were as gorgeous as I expected them to be and, I imagine, ridiculously time-consuming and expensive to produce, the film was very bland. I have no idea how they're going to create 4 more or however many films in the series.
    I don't really have that much to say about it. I give it 'meh' out of 10.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bierschneeman

Westworld, magicians and dick van dyke

14. ReguIa

ReguIa Journeyed there and back again

Me and my two brothers are huge Stargate fans. It's been years since we first watched it but every now and again we sit down together and watch an episode or two.

Last night I worked late, brought home some junk food for a late dinner and we watched ''Meridian'' s05e21, the episode where
    Daniel dies. It's always been a favorite of mine, and I always forget how good that episode is until we watch it again.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Derk of Derkholm

My wife and I have just watched the first season of Goliath with Billy Bob Thornton and Willian Hurt on Amazon Prime and were hugely disappointed.

Granted, good actors and a few interesting twists, however, as a courtroom drama, it hugely sucked.

Seems to me one of those movies / series where my impression after watching is that the general plan was "Let's get a few hugely popular actors to make it a hit. The intern can write the script, it will be fine"

And that is quite disappointing, as there are a few great courtroom series out there, especially the older David E. Kelley series like "The Practice" or even "Boston Legal" (which was a comedy series, but as far as the legal aspect is concerned, possibly more believable than "Goliath".

16. Matticus Primal

Matticus Primal Became a Faceless Man

We started on The OA two days ago and have been pretty blown away. I know it's a fairly contentious show, but it's been exceedingly solid so far. And I honestly can't ever predict where it's going to go, which is a real rarity for me.

17. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

I'm almost up to speed with Walking Dead now .. 1 episode to go then I'm waiting for the next one to hit the screens. A few friends said they were disgusted by the start of the latest season, but I thought it was brilliantly done ... it was so emotional and really left me slack jawed for some time after it'd finished. It was brutal, yes, but the brutality served a purpose other than being just for the sake of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

I really hated the first half of this season though.

Negan is a devisive character. I like him (the actor is doing his 'Comedian' act from Watchmen admirably. However, he gets to much screen-time in my opinion. And I fucking hate Rick being a total pussy this season. Where is the hardened killer? The warrior? Gone. The ratings from the first episode onward dropped dramatically. I believe they haven't been this low since the second season. I heard the writers/producers are going to step up their game though. Supposedly the second half of the season will see Rick and the crew hooking up with the Hilltop colony and the Kingdom with the aim to destroy the Saviours. Really looking forward to that.

19. Anti_Quated

Anti_Quated Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Hold on, friend - your wishes will come true. The badarse will ride again.

20. Bierschneeman

I just watched the 2012 version of Anna Karenina.
    The book is certainly in my top 5 favorite books of all time. I've read it twice ( at 800 pages that's impressive for me, especially since I tend to love the paragraphs so much I end up reading each twice before moving on.)

The movie starts off in a whirl, (just like the book) constantly changing sets as the characters bounce back and forth moving from one to the next. But they do it like a play with expensive movie sets, constantly sliding away in the middle of the dialog up. It's wonderful.

I was enticed, my lip moist in anticipation at every memorized line uttered or the flash of a cold knife on a train. But it was far too short, so many great scenes skipped. I felt both ecstatic and forlorn.

For a movie this length it's a great movie. I recommend it, but if you ever feel you might read one of the greatest books written. Don't. The book is far superior.

(OHH the knife was used to cut the pages on her new book...left that out in the movie)