What Movie or TV show are you watching?

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by sopranosfan, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Matticus Primal

Matticus Primal Knows Who John Uskglass Is

Glad you share the same opinion on OA. And I'm on the fence about Taboo currently (episode 5). On paper, it reads like a wishlist of everything I'd love: Period piece by Knight with Hardy in it (who nearly stole the show in Peaky Blinders, which is in my top 10 shows of all times) involving magic and morally gray characters trying to screw each other over. Sign me up and take all my money!

But man, it's just not working for me. Sure, the duel was pretty awesome, and I'm all about anti-heroes motivated by revenge. Hell, that's half of my wishlist right there. But when, outside of revenge, the main character's motivation is to sleep with his sister? Well, I'm checking out. That's worked exactly once in any medium, and it took like 2,000 pages before Jamie became even remotely empathetic.

Just finished the third episode of Black Sails, which was not nearly as strong as the first two episodes. Will definitely stick around to see more though.

2. GreyMouser

GreyMouser Journeyed there and back again

Yeah I guess I've kind of blocked the insest with his half sister out because the rest is so good. I think having already been shocked with the issue in Game of Thrones may have helped me get past it.

3. Derk of Derkholm

Derk of Derkholm Journeyed there and back again

Have just watched season 2 of "The Man in the High Castle" and enjoyed it quite a bit!

4. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Is it anything like the book, Andy? I heard it deviates from it significantly.

5. Derk of Derkholm

Derk of Derkholm Journeyed there and back again

It is interesting ... when I was watching the first season, I bought the book as I was curious how it would end and how they would "resolve" this alternative timeline of world history.

Imagine my disappointment when the book did not "end" in any meaningful way that would "resolve" the paradox. It's something like "The Dark Tower", that the end really leaves everything open.

Is the series different from the book? Yes, by adding some protagonists, complete with narrative strands of their own, and changing books for films, yes, it does deviate significantly from the book, but IMO not in a bad way. The persons and stories definitely do fit into the universe, and I love the execution, from the vehicles and props used to the extended storyline.
    If you want to turn a 200-page-book into an 8-hour TV series, you do not have any choice but to start inventing some new details.

Season 2, however, is completely different as the original book basically ended (or: did not "end") around the end of season 1. Anything coming after season 1 is 100% the creative endeavour of the show's writers, and IMO, they are doing a good job so far. I would definitely suggest to try it out!

When I first saw the series a year ago, I was impressed by the made-up American Nazi flag (as I was a graphic designer at some point of my early life). It definitely "fits".

[​IMG]

Now, seeing it again in the second series in post-election 2017, I am more wondering how long it will take until this flag actually gets adopted as official US flag.....

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  6. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Don't Knock Twice. A fairly recent British horror film. Highly recommended for late night watching, maybe with a cushion to hide behind.

7. chongjasmine

chongjasmine Got in a fistfight with Dresden

I am currently watching the game of thrones.

8. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Ran bridges next to Kaladin

How far in the show are you?

The only tv that I've been watching recently is Grimm. Only a episodes left now.