What Movie or TV show are you watching?

Alice Sabo

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
Stranger Things season 2 was epic!

Amazing group of characters with Dustin and Steve being at the top of the list for me.

It's going to suck waiting for season 3. :(
Dustin was a hoot!

GreyMouser

Journeyed there and back again

Alice Sabo

Did anybody else realize that Max is literally a red-headed step-child?

And in the last part Eleven has a curl in the middle of her forehead which made me think of the nursery rhyme. I wondered if that was a harbinger of things to come.

ReguIa

Journeyed there and back again
One of the best things this season for me was the last 15 minutes. Sometimes a show ends too soon after the climax but this was perfect. Just a few minutes but it tied up pretty much everything. Also I cried like hell when Dustin did..

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
One of the best things this season for me was the last 15 minutes. Sometimes a show ends too soon after the climax but this was perfect. Just a few minutes but it tied up pretty much everything. Also I cried like hell when Dustin did..
Completely agree! And every main character was involved too which tied things up nicely!

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
The Orville

I'm enjoying the heck out of it. I grew up on The Next Generation and The Voyager and I adore those two shows. Later in life I watched Deep Space Nine and loved that too.
I watched the original series as well, but didn't really like it..it was too goofy. I can't stand William Shatner.

But The Orville is ticking all the boxes from my childhood that I had with TNG and VOY but with a little bit more humour.
If you have read that it's Family Guy in space, you should know that that statement is total BS, from some 'critic' who hasn't actually bothered to watch the series.

I also gave Star Trek Discovery (STD - what an unfortunate abbreviation I know) a go, but I don't really like it. The Klingon costumes are over the top and they actually look like they draw heavily from ancient Egyptian esthetics / medieval knights. It's uncanny.
But aside from that, my major beef with the show is poor writing of dialogues and characters, as well as bad acting.

Alice Sabo

I saw the first episode of the Orville. It started out okay. I liked a lot of it. The ship and the people were interesting. But then I felt that it sacrificed a bit of genre to humor. And then the humor went down a notch and it lost some appeal for me.

Alucard

Staff member
You should really watch more than just a pilot. This show keeps getting better.
I also don't understand what you mean by sacrificed a bit of genre to the humour? The Orville was never meant to be a serious show in the same equivalency as Star Trek. Nor was it meant to copy ST detail by detail.
You can clearly see that Seth MacFarlane is a huge star trek fan, and you can think of it as being in part a love letter to Star Trek, but it's not ST.
It's doing its own thing and it was created as a comedy show.
However, in later episodes the show does tackle some social issues just like TNG did. In 2nd episode it adresses the issue of entertainment and reality TV, in 3rd gender politics, 4th fundamentalist religion. They do it really well too and deal with issues that are contemporary to today's society.

As the episodes go along the crew begins to become more and more like friends and family, just like in TNG and VOY.

Another thing they have going for them is that they have Star Trek actors and directors come and do a cameo or the whole episode.

For example Johnathan Frakes (Riker from TNG) directed episode 5 where the main character was played by Charlize Theron.

They have Brannon Braga directing few episodes and that guy worked on TNG, VOY and Star Trek Enterprise.

I forgot his name but the doctor hologram from The Voyager also had a cameo.

So it's a really fun comedy show, that tackles some serious social issues but the overall tone is optimistic - something which can't be said about STD.
It's not trying to be ST but it is heavily inspired by it.

I don't know, it's up to you of course, but imo first 5 episodes are really needed to be seen to understand what kind of show it is.
I remember how crappy the pilot episode was of TNG and it took a whole season the get that show going. But once it did, well the rest is history.

Alice Sabo

I meant that the show is more humor than scifi, I guess. A couple of the jokes really put me off. So obviously I am not the target audience for this one. I might give it another try. I think I gave up when the divorced couple was forced together. It just seemed so contrived. As well as the whole confess-my-personal-life to the bridge scene...

It doesn't have to be ST. I was open to it, but a few things did not come off as funny to me. Since I could see where it was going, and that wasn't to my taste, I didn't go back.

Alucard

Staff member
I wouldn't say it's more humour than sci-fi. I can understand why you took that away from the pilot episode, but the humour gets toned down and there are plenty of serious moments. I'm on episode 10.
It's not even 50-50. It has jokes here and there but there is an actual plot in every episode.

Not thinking that the jokes are funny, that I get. But you are factually wrong on 'divorced couple being forced together'. The wife was the one that actually recommended the husband for the captain of The Orville. That was revealed at the end of episode 1.
She wanted them to reconcile.

The show went in a much more positive, serious and thoughtful direction than pilot has led you to believe.

Alice Sabo

Well you've sold me on giving it another try.

Sorry for the confusion about the wife. I was referring to an actual scene in the pilot, but I'm not sure how to do the spoiler thing.

Alucard

Staff member
I hope you will enjoy it :)

Don't worry about the spoiler, I don't think we revealed much.
But in general all you have to do is click this button

upload_2017-11-27_21-25-16.png

And it will give you this

upload_2017-11-27_21-25-55.png

Chose spoiler and you can give it a title so people know what's under there or just leave it blank as most people usually do.

Alice Sabo

Perfect! Thanks.

Alice Sabo

Anyone watching Glitch? It's another of those canceled shows that Netflix picked up. Australian, I think. Great premise - five people come back from the dead for no apparent reason. One of them is the sheriff's dead wife...and he's remarried since. Each person is from a different decade. And on the edge of town is a mysterious pharmaceutical company called Noregard.

They just released season 2. I'm going to start it tonight. I really hope it holds up. Loved season 1.

Anyone watching Glitch? It's another of those canceled shows that Netflix picked up. Australian, I think. Great premise - five people come back from the dead for no apparent reason. One of them is the sheriff's dead wife...and he's remarried since. Each person is from a different decade. And on the edge of town is a mysterious pharmaceutical company called Noregard.

They just released season 2. I'm going to start it tonight. I really hope it holds up. Loved season 1.
I was going to start watching that series last night, but I was a bit unsure about it. I'm going to give it a chance now.

I got myself one month free Netflix and I've been using it in between my reading. I've watched several shows and movies so far:
  • Doctor strange: I really liked this one. I would have liked seeing it on big screen but never came to it. There seem to be plans for a sequel, so I'll definitely watch that, hopefully on big screen this time
  • Deadnote: I liked this as wel. I've seen a couple of episodes of the anime in the past, but never finished it, so I can't really make any decent comparison
  • Sense8: I watched two episodes but it hasn't really convinced me so far. Has anyone completed both seasons? Is it worth continuing? I know it has been canceled after two seasons, but does it give a decent round up or not? For now I started another show:
  • Shooter: something completely different but I'm still liking it after 6 episodes
There're still a lot of shows and movies worth watching, but I probably won't have the time watching everything, especially not if I don't want my reading to suffer from it :D
Sense8: I enjoyed the first season, but when I was going to start watching season 2 I heard it had been canceled, so I didn't even bother to watch it.