What Movie or TV show are you watching?

I've finished Ozark. Definitely worth my while. I've always liked Jason Bateman, but he certainly has outdone himself.
Laura Linney and Julia Garner were also fantastic.
An outstanding thriller that kept me wondering what the main character would do next all the freaking time.
The season finale was superb.
The characters are very intense and interesting. This show is a nail-biter.
One of the best I've watched lately.

Derk of Derkholm

Journeyed there and back again

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Finished Orville. They did really well for 12 episodes. Lots of character development and establishing the world.
I hope in season 2 that they will start with some overarching plot, since season 1 was episodic. The Krill could be a major threat as the main baddies in the show, but we'll see.

I think next I will catch up with Mr. Robot.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just finished Season 1 of The Expanse. This one got better and better as it progressed, and I'll start with Season 2 after I get my holiday to Iceland out the way :)

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Just finished Season 1 of The Expanse. This one got better and better as it progressed, and I'll start with Season 2 after I get my holiday to Iceland out the way :)
Yeah, I really liked this one as well. Haven't read the books though. You have right, Tom? How does the tv-series hold up against the books?

I just finished Stranger Things season 2. Very exhilarating! I think I liked it even better than season 1. Big fan of Sean Austin!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I really liked this one as well. Haven't read the books though. You have right, Tom? How does the tv-series hold up against the books?

I just finished Stranger Things season 2. Very exhilarating! I think I liked it even better than season 1. Big fan of Sean Austin!
The series kind of takes aspects of the books and then re-orders them to enable a decent tv adaptation. For example Avasarala doesn't appear in the books until the second one, but in the tv show she's there from the start.

I can already tell after S2E1 that there is a bigger budget!

Stranger Things 2 was awesome. The dance scene at the end was a perfect ending :)

ofer

Watched the first 2 seasons which covers the first book and about half of the second book. First 4 episodes are a bit disorienting (if I wouldn't have read the books I wouldn't understand anything) but it takes off afterwards and becomes quite good.

The series kind of takes aspects of the books and then re-orders them to enable a decent tv adaptation.
Casting for the most part was good but don't you think they botched Amos completely? In the books he's about 40 with a shaved head. In the series he's about 20 with a murdering attitude.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes! Amos is way too hostile in the tv series. He's often at loggerheads with the rest of the crew, whilst in the books they're as thick as thieves!

ReguIa

@ofer @TomTB

I enjoyed both seasons, and yea I agree Amos is a bit more extreme in the show..

Honestly I don't understand why they only used 2/3 of the material for season 1, then ended season 2 in the middle of the Caliban's War story. The individual books are set up with a very clear beginning and end. All of them dealing with it's own plot that gets resolved.

Now the seasons end with huge cliffhangers, when by just following the books each season would have been a separate story. Always ending in a satisfying way.

Like the books every season would still follow the core crew, but always adding something new and fresh with the secondary characters.

I feel the way they went about is unnecessarily hard to follow, with them mixing it all together into one massive jumbled story.

Myles Alexander

Helped Logen count his fingers
Valerian and the city of a thousand planets - I think the movie deserved more credit than it got. I guess that's often the way with these kind of movies.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Now the seasons end with huge cliffhangers, when by just following the books each season would have been a separate story. Always ending in a satisfying way.
There you have your answer as to why they do it this way. Ensures people will come back for the next season. :p

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm currently watching an absolutely brilliant series on the BBC called McMafia. Only 2 episodes in so far, but highly recommend it if you can watch it where you are. It concerns Russian crime syndicates across the globe, but is largely based in the UK/Israel (so far).

Alice Sabo

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
I'm currently watching an absolutely brilliant series on the BBC called McMafia. Only 2 episodes in so far, but highly recommend it if you can watch it where you are. It concerns Russian crime syndicates across the globe, but is largely based in the UK/Israel (so far).
Sorry, I grew up in NJ. Crime syndicate stuff is not entertaining for me.;)

Andrew.J

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
I'm on episode 3 of Stranger Things Season 2. Not as immersive as the beginning of the previous season, as far as I remember, but I'm looking forward to all the good stuff I've been hearing about.

ofer

Speaking of Mafia shows, I recently watched a really good one - Peaky Blinders. Really reminded me of The Godfather (a decorated war hero returns home from the world war in order to lead his family crime gang, only instead of New York 1946 it's Birmingham 1919) but it has its own UK flavor (unions, IRA, etc). The casting is literally mouth-watering, with Cillian Murphy and Sam Neill, and as a bonus Tom Hardy joins on season 2 and Adrian Brody on season 4.

If you're into crime/mafia shows, it's one of the best I saw in a long while.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Speaking of Mafia shows, I recently watched a really good one - Peaky Blinders. Really reminded me of The Godfather (a decorated war hero returns home from the world war in order to lead his family crime gang, only instead of New York 1946 it's Birmingham 1919) but it has its own UK flavor (unions, IRA, etc). The casting is literally mouth-watering, with Cillian Murphy and Sam Neill, and as a bonus Tom Hardy joins on season 2 and Adrian Brody on season 4.

If you're into crime/mafia shows, it's one of the best I saw in a long while.
This is 'the' thing to be watching over here in the UK at the moment.. everyone is talking about it. I still haven't jumped on the bandwagon, but it's next on my list after I finish season 2 of Expanse.

Bierschneeman

Yeah I get you. I'm from Nottingham. Robin Hood bores the pants off me ;)
whaaat. I'm from fredericksburg VA. (more civil war battles in and around there than anywhere else) I am fascinated by theCivil war.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
whaaat. I'm from fredericksburg VA. (more civil war battles in and around there than anywhere else) I am fascinated by theCivil war.
I live near to Newark, Nottinghamshire, which was quite an important town in the English Civil War of 1642-1651. Now that does interest me. There are civil war trails through the town, there's a civil war museum, plus the remains of the castle, and still a hole in the church spire from a stray cannon ball! More interesting than Robin Hood for sure, who's existence is dubious!