What Movie or TV show are you watching?

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
follow up movie. it's new movie day.

singularity. I should have known better when u saw John cusack on the cover. he hasn't had a good movie in close to twenty years, and is being type cast regularly in high cgi, low budget disaster movies. (and even twenty years ago his "good" movies were all romantic comedies, never great. say anything, serendipity, high fidelity...)

anyway, I'm only fifteen minutes in and Ooooh man, it's so not intended to be funny enough for me to laugh this hard.

actress says " that was my last explosive arrow"

I say"and your last chance for redemption as even a decent actress who doesn't blow her lines in my eyes"

meanwhile it is 97 years since 8 billion people on earth die in one night because we reached a technological singularity (2020 so that is most of humanity) but we are walking around in an abandoned city that sees regular repair.
movie posters survive on outside of movie theatres (no frame or glass even.) yard sale paper fliers still nailed to posts, a scaffold with fresh safety nets and bright orange pads, bad plaster repair that cannot manage to survive 5 years manage to last 97. Annd the actors clothing is all brand spanking new, complete with creases and designer jewelry and equipment.

it's the apocolypse , 97 years later, dozens are alive, but l gotta product my hair and cake on the makeup.

the dialogue is so oo bad.

Imma give it a 2/10. but it might get bad enough for a 1... we will see

Bierschneeman

I have fallen to a pit of despair and hope.

The Pianist, La Combre Lucien, Schindlers list, Au revoir Les'Enfants, Hiroshima Mon Amour, Stalingrad, Enemy at the gates, Casablanca, Life is beautiful.

all great movies, One less than the others, but all great.

I can't rationalize why I torture myself so with these selections from my personal movie library, maybe I am influenced by removing a 'friend' from my Facebook for posting anti-Semite propaganda. maybe I would have watched them this year anyway.

ReguIa

Went to see Infinity War last night.

Lately I've gotten pretty tired of the Marvel formula but this one actually was something different. Took the girlfriend with me and she enjoyed it as much as I did, despite having only seen 4-5 of the now 19 movies. Really says something about how simplistic and easy to enjoy these films are.

I'm sure though that on repeated viewings the comedy will be too much and not as funny anymore. I wish they'd be a bit more serious sometimes but.. All they're going for is fun and they nail that perfectly.

I hope we get Afflecks solo Batman film with Deathstroke, and Aquaman could be very interesting.

Bierschneeman

Went to see Infinity War last night.

Lately I've gotten pretty tired of the Marvel formula but this one actually was something different. Took the girlfriend with me and she enjoyed it as much as I did, despite having only seen 4-5 of the now 19 movies. Really says something about how simplistic and easy to enjoy these films are.

I'm sure though that on repeated viewings the comedy will be too much and not as funny anymore. I wish they'd be a bit more serious sometimes but.. All they're going for is fun and they nail that perfectly.

I hope we get Afflecks solo Batman film with Deathstroke, and Aquaman could be very interesting.
I agree with you about marvel, it's sad that the last three good marvel movies weren't produced by marvel. (likely an hyperbole, I may have missed one)

well, it's the same with comics, DC and Marvel can never both be producing gold at the same time.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Watched Annihilation last night, film adaptation of the Jeff VanderMeer book. Wowzers, it was amazing, kind of horror sci-fi, set around understanding of a strange alien manifestation which affects the biology of things within it. Have just purchased the audiobook and will listen soon. Anyone else seen/read it?

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Anyone else seen/read it?
I read it last year. Wasn't much impressed by it, kind of meh. It's quite a short book and kind of confusing and weird. Didn't have much of an impact on me. I'm interested in seeing the movie though.

Jakyro

Watched Annihilation last night, film adaptation of the Jeff VanderMeer book. Wowzers, it was amazing, kind of horror sci-fi, set around understanding of a strange alien manifestation which affects the biology of things within it. Have just purchased the audiobook and will listen soon. Anyone else seen/read it?
Already heard before that the movie is really worth it. Apparently it also has a good soundtrack

Derk of Derkholm

The Pianist, La Combre Lucien, Schindlers list, Au revoir Les'Enfants, Hiroshima Mon Amour, Stalingrad, Enemy at the gates, Casablanca, Life is beautiful.

all great movies, One less than the others, but all great.
Add "Grave of the Fireflies" if you want to continue to torture yourself.

Derk of Derkholm

Now watching season 2 of "Sneaky Pete". Good series, and I am a Giovanni Ribisi fan.

ReguIa

Yea Annihilation was really good. Garland, and Villeneuve too (Arrival/BR2049) are doing wonders in the sci-fi genre right now. I haven't read the books but Villeneuve's Dune is something I'm very much looking forward to.

I don't live in the US so I'm a little disappointed I couldn't see Annihilation on the big screen..

Andrew.J

I'm watching Black Mirror. I saw a couple of the earlier episodes a while back, but with the new season I want to watch the entire series. Currently I'm on episode 2.

I'm also watching iZombie season 4. It's a fun show to pass the time. This season is the best one so far, IMO.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm watching Black Mirror. I saw a couple of the earlier episodes a while back, but with the new season I want to watch the entire series. Currently I'm on episode 2.

I'm also watching iZombie season 4. It's a fun show to pass the time. This season is the best one so far, IMO.
Black Mirror is amazing, but also scary as hell. It definitely puts a black and ghastly mirror up to society and to the individual. After seeing the series I've adapted my use of tech and social media severely. I've removed by Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat accounts, got rid of all apps that invaded my privacy to a significant degree and I find myself being more wary of my use of tech like mobile phones and such.

ReguIa

So Expanse got renewed by Amazon after being cancelled by SyFy. I'm sure a lot of people here at some point heard about that. I really enjoy the books and this is just fantastic news. The show's just getting to the parts I'm most excited to see too.

It's going to be interested to see what happens now. Hopefully Amazon won't be retarded like SyFy when it comes to marketing and all that. This show really is top notch stuff right now. Especially season 3, it has been absolutely nuts!

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
So Expanse got renewed by Amazon after being cancelled by SyFy. I'm sure a lot of people here at some point heard about that. I really enjoy the books and this is just fantastic news. The show's just getting to the parts I'm most excited to see too.

It's going to be interested to see what happens now. Hopefully Amazon won't be retarded like SyFy when it comes to marketing and all that. This show really is top notch stuff right now. Especially season 3, it has been absolutely nuts!
That's good news! I really liked the first seasons of the tv-series. I have yet to read the books though.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good news .. Expanse season 2 was superb .. is 3 out already??

I'm about halfway through Lost In Space on Netflix, and it's pretty good. First few episodes were brilliant. It's slowing pace a little now (think I've just watched the 6th episode) but it's still good, and I'm watching it whenever get a spare few minutes.

ReguIa

7 episodes into season 3 right now. I think season 3 is an improvement over season 2, and yea season 2 already was superb!

I tried watching Lost in Space, but I didn't get past 2 episodes. I'll probably watch it later on, but I just couldn't stand that doctor/not doctor..

Andrew.J

Black Mirror is amazing, but also scary as hell. It definitely puts a black and ghastly mirror up to society and to the individual. After seeing the series I've adapted my use of tech and social media severely. I've removed by Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat accounts, got rid of all apps that invaded my privacy to a significant degree and I find myself being more wary of my use of tech like mobile phones and such.
That's a positive change in general, even if you don't take into account the privacy concerns. It's great to see a TV show encourage a change in someone's life. That doesn't happen too often, I don't think. Myself, I've never bothered to create Instagram or Snapchat accounts for similar reasons and simply because I don't need even more time sinks in my life, but FB, as a communication tool, seems irreplaceable at this point. However, I try to limit the information Facebook (and others websites in general) receive. There are ways, like alternative browsers, VPNs, etc., to facilitate that depending on how far you want to go. But even then, it's impossible to fully protect yourself, imo, if someone with the right skillset (a person or an organisation) needs information about you, they will get it.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing the other seasons. :)

Do you have any suggestions for similarly influential films or TV shows by any chance?

Andrew.J

A question to those who have read the Expanse series: I was thinking of reading the series first and then watching the show, but I've read that the books get stale after the first few and go down in quality. Is that correct? I have Leviathan Wakes on my e-reader, but some of reviews have put me off.