What Movie or TV show are you watching?

Kalavan

Journeyed there and back again
A question to those who have read the Expanse series: I was thinking of reading the series first and then watching the show, but I've read that the books get stale after the first few and go down in quality. Is that correct? I have Leviathan Wakes on my e-reader, but some of reviews have put me off.
Strongly disagree, the sixth installment is IMHO the weakest, and even the fourth one was nothing to write home about, but I'd rate book 2, 3 and especially 5 higher than Leviathan Wakes - and I've actually liked it quite a bit.
But in The Expanse every installment is quite different - both in style, both and especially in theme - from the previous one, so the ratings on every book are extremely subjective, more than in most other series, anyway definitely recommended.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
That's a positive change in general, even if you don't take into account the privacy concerns. It's great to see a TV show encourage a change in someone's life. That doesn't happen too often, I don't think. Myself, I've never bothered to create Instagram or Snapchat accounts for similar reasons and simply because I don't need even more time sinks in my life, but FB, as a communication tool, seems irreplaceable at this point. However, I try to limit the information Facebook (and others websites in general) receive. There are ways, like alternative browsers, VPNs, etc., to facilitate that depending on how far you want to go. But even then, it's impossible to fully protect yourself, imo, if someone with the right skillset (a person or an organisation) needs information about you, they will get it.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing the other seasons. :)

Do you have any suggestions for similarly influential films or TV shows by any chance?
I can't think of any to be honest.

Andrew.J

Strongly disagree, the sixth installment is IMHO the weakest, and even the fourth one was nothing to write home about, but I'd rate book 2, 3 and especially 5 higher than Leviathan Wakes - and I've actually liked it quite a bit.
But in The Expanse every installment is quite different - both in style, both and especially in theme - from the previous one, so the ratings on every book are extremely subjective, more than in most other series, anyway definitely recommended.
That's great to hear. I'm going to check the series out then. :)

Bierschneeman

conflicted after the spiderman homecoming movie.

so right off the bat we are setting up Miles Morales as Spiderman (ohh wait, despite these lines and his friends, are stripped right from the alternate universe Black spiderman, its still peter parker) I mean I literally pulled out a few comics, and looked up these quotes. If peter Parker is lame (he is) why re write him to be the superior Miles Morales? why can't we just have a Miles Morales movie.

THEN we have all these lines and scenes stolen from the New Ms Marvel Comic (pakistani American version) again, why, If Peter Parker is Lame (he is) why apropriate superior Comics characters content??

then we keep referencing events that happened leading up to Civil War (the comic version) that were retconned out of existence for the movie. they did fall through, but still.

we also see heavy references to the controversal "Superior Spiderman" comic. I thought it was a great way to break the mold of LAME and rehashed stories that dominated spiderman comics at the time, but most fanboys hated it because ...... they are fanboys.

all those complaints aside, I really enjoy original writing, If you are making a new movie based on a comic, but you just copied the story precisely, you just wasted my money, do something new, something creative, something we didn't see coming. This movie defintely did that.

toombs was great, such a classic spiderman villain, loved Loebs Spiderman Blue. well written, well acted

LOTS OF FLAT JOKES (but if spiderman wasn't saying bad jokes, the only thing he has left is whining about how everything is his fault.)

I think I really enjoyed the movie

ReguIa

Been watching some great movies recently.
  1. Jumanji. Way better than I ever expected it to be. The plot is still as simple as it gets but the interaction between the characters is what really makes this movie stand out. The rock and Kevin hart are fantastic together.
  2. Thoroughbreds. This was some weird shit in a really good way. Just a very different kind of movie and I had no idea where the story would go or what would happen. Go into this without knowing anything about it and you'll have a blast. Also Anton Yelchin's last performance..
  3. Baby Driver!! I don't know how I missed this. I'm a huge Edgar Wright fan but I had no idea he was the director for this one. Such an incredibly well made movie.
  4. Ready Player One. Haven't read the book (I kinda regretted it 10 minutes into the movie) so I don't know how they compare. I thought it was a very solid scifi flick though.
  5. The Limehouse Golem. Fantastic atmosphere and setting here. Interesting mystery and great performances by everyone.
Oliva Cooke plays a main character in 3 of these movies and I think I've got a crush. I won't be surprised in the slightest if she becomes a major star in the coming years. She's super talented.

Last edited:

ReguIa

I actually prefer Moffat's era. RTD certainly had some fantastic highs but also some very questionable lows like Aliens of London, Love and Monsters. Ridiculous stuff. Seasons 5-10 were more consistent in quality except for parts in 6 and 7.

I'm really excited for something new though! I also hope we get more two-parters again like in season 9, which most fans agree is the best in NuWho.

What do you think of Jodie Whittaker as The Doctor?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Just wanted to point out the new Netflix show The Haunting of Hill House. As far as horror goes, it trumps EVERYTHING ever made, TV show or movie.

It is absolutely incredible.
Thanks for the recommendation! I've almost finished The 100 and I was looking for a new series to dive into.

ReguIa

Thanks for the recommendation! I've almost finished The 100 and I was looking for a new series to dive into.
Oh do it! I think it's the best they've released since Stranger Things in 2016. I had my exams last week so right after I went through all 10 episodes in 2 days.

Also finished the fantastic new season of Daredevil. Iron Fist and the rest are alright but DD continued being really, really good.

I watched 2 seasons of The 100. Worth to continue?

Derk of Derkholm

Just am watching "The Good Place" again with my family. Funny series.
When I watched it the first time, I really loved it for all of season 1, but did not care much for the first episode of season 2.