What Movie or TV show are you watching?

Derk of Derkholm

Journeyed there and back again
So, having watched now Season 8 of GOT, is my life any more fulfilled now?
Not really. Sigh.

ReguIa

I. Just. Do. Not. Understand...

7 seasons, 1 left to go. They could have had the greatest TV show ever made down in the history books. How in the world can the same people that made it the phenomenon it was make EVERY POSSIBLE shit decision when it really mattered?

It's actually ridiculous. D&D won't be remembered as the creators of the great Game of Thrones. They will be remembered as the two idiots who fucked it up harder than anyone one could possibly have believed it to be possible. That is now a FACT.

Honestly even though they tired of it? and wanted to do something else, they had to know this is their life's work. Why didn't they make the effort?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Agreed. They managed to totally mess it up and destroy any chance of me rewatching the show. I've cancelled my HBO subscription after 4 years. Was planning to retain it for the upcoming spin-offs, but I really can't be bothered. I mean, why watch the spin off about the Long Night when I know it will not matter anyway?

Derk of Derkholm

Oh my, compared to season 8, season 7 was still awesome. Well, no, not really. But it was not the train wreck that season 8 turned out to be...

ReguIa

I watched the first 4 episodes of HBO's new ''Chernobyl''. This is one of the best and most terrifying things I have ever seen. You guys should definitely give it a try, it's incredible.

ExTended

I watched the first 4 episodes of HBO's new ''Chernobyl''. This is one of the best and most terrifying things I have ever seen. You guys should definitely give it a try, it's incredible.
I've heard people praising it, although I just assumed that they're ruusophobs( Russia haters - yup, that's a thing in my country, people hating or loving Russia and the rest of us having a chuckle) and like the TV series for its criticism, but I guess it's really decent if international people like it as well. Thanks for the recommendation, the documentaries about it and the Fukushima one have always fascinated me, in a very watching a forest-fire kind of way.

I myself have watched half of Ready Player One. The cringe is real. This is a completely different story from the one in the books, different premise even. I wasn't at all captivated by the whole 80s references galore thing there, but at least it made sense. They turned it from a geek contest to a stalker one... not the mention that 3/4 of the reasoning behind the sub-plots in the book is completely erased. I might finish the movie, but it's a disappointment.

ExTended

Started with Good Omens.

The first episode was very solid. Except three very annoying WOKE moments. Those people would never learn how ridiculous those would feel for anyone 5-10 years from now when all this non-sense isn't relevant anymore.

Regardless - it's a darn satisfying show so far, the humor is impeccable.

Peat

Started with Good Omens.

The first episode was very solid. Except three very annoying WOKE moments. Those people would never learn how ridiculous those would feel for anyone 5-10 years from now when all this non-sense isn't relevant anymore.

Regardless - it's a darn satisfying show so far, the humor is impeccable.
What moments are you referring to?

ExTended

What moments are you referring to?
God being a woman. Adam and Eve being African Americans. The little girl with the sexist bike story at the end.

I haven't read the book and if things are the same way there I stand corrected, but I somehow doubt that's the case.

Peat

God being a woman. Adam and Eve being African Americans. The little girl with the sexist bike story at the end.

I haven't read the book and if things are the same way there I stand corrected, but I somehow doubt that's the case.
I'd have to go back and check to be utterly sure, but I'm pretty sure the bike story is in there. The rest - I suspect that was Gaiman's decision (casting God definitely was), and Gaiman's general views haven't changed much in the last twenty-five years and I suspect they won't change much in the next twenty-five either

ExTended

I'd have to go back and check to be utterly sure, but I'm pretty sure the bike story is in there. The rest - I suspect that was Gaiman's decision (casting God definitely was), and Gaiman's general views haven't changed much in the last twenty-five years and I suspect they won't change much in the next twenty-five either
To be honest I try not to keep track on authors' political views as a rule, so I'm didn't have any expectations about his influence on the show one way or thee other. It's just that I know when this book was written approximately( actually the book happens to be as old as I am) and I just felt that those inserts didn't feel very 90s to me and knowing Pratchett's humor, it didn't feel like his style either, so it was somewhat jarring for me.

I'm almost done with the 2nd episode - there are some strong parts and some not so strong ones. I'm still undecided about the show, but the problem is - so many shows nowadays are just plain awful, this one feels decent with barely trying, so it's already better than most just by the strength of its premise and the talent of the main two guys who are a perfect match for one another humor-wise.

Peat

To be honest I try not to keep track on authors' political views as a rule, so I'm didn't have any expectations about his influence on the show one way or thee other. It's just that I know when this book was written approximately( actually the book happens to be as old as I am) and I just felt that those inserts didn't feel very 90s to me and knowing Pratchett's humor, it didn't feel like his style either, so it was somewhat jarring for me.

I'm almost done with the 2nd episode - there are some strong parts and some not so strong ones. I'm still undecided about the show, but the problem is - so many shows nowadays are just plain awful, this one feels decent with barely trying, so it's already better than most just by the strength of its premise and the talent of the main two guys who are a perfect match for one another humor-wise.
That was clumsily put on my part as in that I was trying to talk about Gaiman's general views on everything, not just politics. Messing around with mythology has been his raison d'etre forever; him messing around with mythology some more should probably be viewed through those lens more than anything political, although I am fairly sure he is broadly speaking left wing. I am far far more sure that Sir Pterry was, as that is blazingly obvious from his books and imo, one of the things you're talking about matches up with things like Equal Rites, Mort or Wyrd Sisters very well. I'm also fairly sure that Pratchett was the guy who wrote most of the Them parts too.

As for the show itself - it's good, it's fun, I don't think its amazing, but I think they've casted very well and have some great scenes which saves it from some of the awkwardness and clunkiness.

ReguIa

DC's new Swamp Thing has already been cancelled after airing just 1 episode, such a shame. It's a DC property I didn't know anything about but since Titans was pretty good and everyone's been raving about Doom Patrol I gave it a shot. The pilot was actually incredible, they completely aced the whole mystery and horror-ish atmosphere.

@ExTended did you watch Chernobyl? The final episode came out 3 days ago. Quite the ending. Highest rated show on imdb and it totally deserves it.

Cyphon

Went into Aladdin expecting to hate it and actually thought they did a really good job of keeping most of the original while adding in some new content and ideas. Being that the animated version is one of my top 5 Disney movies I think it is quite a feat for them to manage. I am very hard on remakes and can't find a lot to complain about here.

I didn't like the casting of Will Smith as Genie (the most important role to get right IMO) but he was serviceable seeing as how he had to try to match Robin Williams which is impossible for anyone. I thought they did a good job of building the spectacle up around his musical performances given that he is very limited as a singer. Jasmine and Aladdin were well chosen and I didn't mind the direction they went with Jasmine with the kind of "girl power" I want to become sultan thing. In the original she was already fighting the idea of being forced to marry so this seemed like a natural, more modern progression to her story. She wasn't hard on the eyes either.....

2 roles I didn't care as much for were the sultan and Jafar. In fairness to the sultan I didn't mind how he was but it was a complete shift from his orginal character which was much more goofy and light hearted. Jafar I can't put my finger on. Just didn't quite hit for me like the animated one does.

Next I am hoping to see either Godzilla or Dark Phoenix.

ReguIa

@Cyphon What did you think about 2014 Godzilla? The sequel has the same problems regarding the human character storylines but I was fine with that, it's a monster movie after all. There's so much more monster action in this one and it looks great. I'm not familiar with Ghidorah and the others but damn I think they absolutely nailed it. Certain scenes/shots are so well done it's insane.

I was on the fence about Aladdin before this but I think you sold me on it!

Cyphon

@Cyphon What did you think about 2014 Godzilla? The sequel has the same problems regarding the human character storylines but I was fine with that, it's a monster movie after all. There's so much more monster action in this one and it looks great. I'm not familiar with Ghidorah and the others but damn I think they absolutely nailed it. Certain scenes/shots are so well done it's insane.

I was on the fence about Aladdin before this but I think you sold me on it!
2014 Godzilla was decent. I am not a Godzilla fan (not that I don't like it, just never paid much attention to it) so it was all mostly new to me. The monster action for me is the key selling point so I am glad you said that. I thought the best part of the 2014 movie was the final battle so if we just get a lot more of that I am excited for it.

Hopefully you like it as much as I did. I went in looking/expecting to complain about it for hours after but I thought they did a really good job. I know it hasn't gotten the best reviews but I have to disagree. On the other hand Lion King actually looks great going in so hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

Derk of Derkholm

Right now watching the "Chernobyl" mini series on TV with my wife, and I have to say that it is exquisite.

Definitely a must watch for anybody who is not very familiar with nuclear power generation.
With "Not very familiar" I mean that when the Fukushima desaster occurred, I discussed it with my family and found out that both my mother and my aunt were very knowledgeable on many aspects of nuclear power plants that I had only learned from following the reporting, simply because both of them were following the discussion pro and contra nuclear power in the 1970's.

Cyphon

Recently finished The Death of Superman and Reign of Supermen. The former was possibly the best DC animated movie to this point although that is only roughly speaking because having watched most of them at some point it is hard to remember where every one of them would specifically rank. The latter was still good left a little to be desired coming off one that set such a high bar. It had the right pieces to be better but the execution on the whole just didn't seem to match up.

I would definitely recommend both.