What Movie or TV show are you watching?

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm nearly done with the second season of American Horror Story (Asylum) ... top notch stuff, really enjoying it .. although I think I preferred the first season .. it was so different to anything I'd seen previously. I've got seasons 3&4 lined up thanks to a colleague who's lent me the lot!

ReguIa

Journeyed there and back again
I read today that Person of Interest is officially cancelled:(

Seriously one of the best written TV shows ever. At least it was anticipated so they had a chance to give it a real ending without cliffhangers in the upcoming final season.

Firefly, Hannibal, Jericho. Lots of others.

Chuck and Fringe..Though to be honest Fringe got an amazing ending and Chuck's was alright. The fact remains that both these got fucked by the network they were on and were given reduced seasons to wrap up a series. And the cancellation always comes in the middle of a season. Giving writers no clue if they should wrap it up or go all out so they might draw in those extra viewers.

So damn annoying when there's so much SHIT out there that gets renewed year after year. Person of Interest is just pure brilliance. Dear CBS executives, please throw yourselves off a cliff.

ReguIa

Watching Daredevil atm:D

3 episodes in and seriously if anyone here watched season 1 please continue on right now. The fight scenes has got to be the best I've ever seen for a television show. Incredible.

Last edited:

btkong

Staff member
Daredevil Season 2. Downloaded and ready to watch. Season 1 was some of the best TV out there, though it took me about 3 episodes to get it. I almost gave up before that point.

The Leftovers Season 2: one of the best TV series, and one of the more underrated shows. Season 2 is seriously good, a vast improvement over Season 1, which showed a lot of potential, though it didn't quite reach it.

Kingdom Season 2: another highly underrated TV series. I loved Kingdom. A must for any boxing / MMA / fight fans, or anyone who wants a good conflict orientated drama.

Billions: one of my favorite shows so far. Agent Brody, I mean the character of Bobby Axelrod knocks it out of the park. Seriously good stuff.

Better Call Saul Season 2: probably one of the best dramas on TV right now. Up there with Fargo Season 2 for best pure drama. I loved Season 1 (and nearly everyone else did), but Season 2 is darker and even better so far.

11.22.63: Wonderful adaption of King's outstanding novel. This is one of the more enjoyable TV series I've watched this year.

Vikings Season 4: Fuck yea! Every bit as good as Game of Thrones, without all the padding, the fantasy, and of course, the cheesy CGI. Character driven, awesome battles, and delicious acting all around. It took me about 8 months to actually finish Season 3 (I loved the first two seasons, but never started Season 3 -- I kept starting and stopping. Finally I pushed through and found it my favorite season so far. That ending, wow!)

Stan Lee's Lucky Man: I'm enjoying this a lot.

ReguIa

Season 1 was some of the best TV out there, though it took me about 3 episodes to get it. I almost gave up before that point.
Indeed. I'm in the middle of catching up on some other shows like Grimm and Supernatural so I wasn't supposed to watch season 2 right away. However I said to myself yesterday that I would watch 1 episode. I stayed up late into the night and when I went to bed I had binge watched 6 episodes.. It's that good.

Anti_Quated

The wife and I recently watched Before Sunrise - Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy, romance flick. It was superb, the acting and dialogue was so refreshingly honest and down to earth, more than simple acting proficiency or competence by both parties. Hawke is a thoughtful but cynical young man one day away from leaving Europe to head home with his heart broken, until a chance meeting on a train and a blossoming chat with an intelligent (and gorgeous) young woman (Delpy) leads to the sort of rash impulsiveness all romantics at heart are fond of - he asks her to hop off the train, and spend the day with him in Vienna. He hasn't sufficient funds left for accommodation before his flight home the next day, and wants a companion to wander around Vienna with all day/night soaking it up. A smorgasboard of interesting and insightful conversations, recollections, and ruminations are shared between the two, though it doesn't end as I had anticipated which made for a pleasant surprise.

I've seen a few romantic dramas in my day - and this turned out be a sleeper I'd never heard of that ended up rating quite highly. Both my wife and I were impressed by the emotional resonance and humble charm of the film - nothing seemed contrived or lazy, a proper romantic film with subtlety and grace and the all-crucial verisimilitude a lot of romance films fail to cultivate or execute successfully. It certainly appealed to the wistful romantic in me, so if you like that sort of thing, I recommend it. There's two sequels which we've got lined up over the next week or so as time permits of equal critical approbation that I'm now quite looking forward to.

ReguIa

Finished Daredevil season 2 last night. Not quite as good as season 1 but almost! Marvel would be crazy not to give Daredevil his own movie soon.

Zymologist

Has been in the eye of the world
I just finished Daredevil season 2.

My thoughts from season 1: Wilson Fisk was, by far, the highlight. In fact, I'd rank him as among my favorite on-screen villains ever, possibly up there with Darth Vader and Ledger's Joker.

My thoughts from season 2:
Fisk was, again, the clear highlight of the season. He totally crushed it every time he was onscreen. Absolutely menacing.

The Punisher was cool, and my second favorite part of the season. I thought Elektra was kind of annoying, and the plot with The Hand was not, IMO, as interesting as the plot with The Punisher. I will be very interested if there's a Punisher show in the works.

ReguIa

@Zymologist

You know at first I thought this season was better, it started off amazing with the Punisher. Episode 3 for example, omg that was so damn good. I liked the whole plot with The Hand at first, because they were just so mysterious and a very real threat (Cmon Matt had no chance against Nobu in season 1. When The Hand came into play this season I thought how the hell will he manage this? He got lucky against 1 Hand warrior and barely survived.

But as soon as we got to know their motivations and learned the fact that Nobu seemed to be the only skilled warrior they had. And also that their ''world wide cult'' consisted of about only 50 mindless ninja drones with 1 leader, they didn't seem to be such a big threat anymore.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm halfway through the new season of House of Cards and gosh-darn it's good! I think this may be the best season since season 1. Spacey's acting is absolutely amazing. I replayed some scenes just to catch every nuance of his portrayal of Frank Underwood. Top notch!

Andrew.J

I finished the whole 1st season of American Horror Story. I don't know... I probably won't be watching any more of it. I wanted to like it but the show was just good enough to continue, nothing outstanding. Jessica Lange (the actress playing Constance) though is brilliant. I'm kind of in love right now.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I finished the whole 1st season of American Horror Story. I don't know... I probably won't be watching any more of it. I wanted to like it but the show was just good enough to continue, nothing outstanding. Jessica Lange (the actress playing Constance) though is brilliant. I'm kind of in love right now.
I really liked the first season, 2nd (Asylum) was good, but I'm struggling with the 3rd (Coven) to the point I may give up on it. I've heard the 4th season (Freak Show, I think) is superb, so I may jump straight into that.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
And Jessica Lange plays more of an integral role in the second season, if she floats your boat that much ;)

Andrew.J

Sister Jude. Hmm. I might continue watching AHS, I'm not sure. I'm now in a tv-show depression period where nothing really excites me. I tried Daredevil today too. It was meh. Maybe I'll just quit TV for a while.
Jessica Lange is behind the idea of the Freak Show season by the way. I might've watched some of her interviews.

I also realised today that Deadpool and Daredevil are two different characters. Who knew?

ExTended

Tonight I've enjoyed one of my favorite childhood movies. I have been trying to find how it's called for a long time, but I finally did it last night.

The movie is French and it's called "Le Bossu" ( trasnalted as "On Guard" in English). It's the one from 1997. Very nice movie the story of which takes place right at the end of 17th century. It goes straight up to my top 5 movies of all time, alongside "The Lord of the Rings", "Troy", "Gladiator" and "V for Vendetta".

The don't make the movies as nice as they were a decade or a decade and a half ago.

Ser Pounce

@Alucard Not sure who else watches!

Showtime released S3 E1 of Penny Dreadful early. Showtime On Demand, etc. Actual TV premiere is this Sunday in U.S.

My name is Dracula. Chills. That's how you end an episode. Such an underrated show.

Entertainment Weekly interview with John Logan: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/25/penny-dreadful-season-3-john-logan-preview

Last edited: