What Movie or TV show are you watching?

Diziet Sma

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
I'm halfway through the 1st season of Penny Dreadful. I currently average an episode a week, which is an all time low for me. Butt the show is absolutely amazing. It's everything I wanted American Horror Story to be - it's creepy, exciting and at the same time heartwarming and oh my god so f***ed up*. Interesting stories, many cool classical horror references and great characters. The main actress Eva Green is brilliant. A very insistent recommendation from me. Episode 2 'Séance' should tell you if you'll like the show or not. It was very... impressive.
Cheers.
*Just in Episode 5, I swear.
I’m halfway through Season 3. Personally, I’m finding it far more enjoyable as it goes along. It gets far darker with much psychological tension.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Read, 'Empire of Blue Water", best historical account of Piracy in the Caribbean that I've come across.

The fictional Captain Flint would not have stood a chance against the very real Captain Morgan in his prime.
Have you read Empire of Blue Water as an audiobook? I have an extra credit I wouldn't mind spending on a pirate book if it's good.

Sparrow

Journeyed there and back again
Have you read Empire of Blue Water as an audiobook? I have an extra credit I wouldn't mind spending on a pirate book if it's good.

Hey Alucard!.. nice to see your cute little butt around here!
Yes, I listened to it on audio, and yes you definitely should spend a credit on it.
It's a very cool accounting of Piracy on the Spanish Main. It covers everything, it's not just a biography of Captain Morgan; it'll give you some real insight into the lives and exploits of pirates, including the average buccaneer who more times than not died of alcohol poisoning or disease, than at the end of a noose or business end of a cutlass. Some were cold-blooded sociopaths, others were gentlemen, most were fleeing a life of extreme hardship and poverty in Europe. I had thought I knew quite a bit about the Golden Age of Piracy, as I've read other books on the subject, but this book was far better and never seemed like a dry history lesson.

moonspawn

Been watching Person of Interest lately. I just started the third season which I believe is supposed to be the best, so we'll see. The show is fun although it has some problems such as being very formulaic and lots and lots of deus ex machina.

ReguIa

Been watching Person of Interest lately. I just started the third season which I believe is supposed to be the best, so we'll see. The show is fun although it has some problems such as being very formulaic and lots and lots of deus ex machina.
I quit season 1, 14 episodes in the first time around. Then came back to it maybe 2 years later when I heard how good it became after season 1. I agree the first 2 seasons are pretty much the same thing over and over. But yes it's true that it's in season 3 that it becomes truly exceptional, however I think season 4 is even better.

But most impressive, it only gets better and better, and it ends on a high. Unlike so many other shows that start to drag.

Then there's a few episodes throughout the series that are so good it's among the best TV episodes ever made.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Hey Alucard!.. nice to see your cute little butt around here!
Yes, I listened to it on audio, and yes you definitely should spend a credit on it.
It's a very cool accounting of Piracy on the Spanish Main. It covers everything, it's not just a biography of Captain Morgan; it'll give you some real insight into the lives and exploits of pirates, including the average buccaneer who more times than not died of alcohol poisoning or disease, than at the end of a noose or business end of a cutlass. Some were cold-blooded sociopaths, others were gentlemen, most were fleeing a life of extreme hardship and poverty in Europe. I had thought I knew quite a bit about the Golden Age of Piracy, as I've read other books on the subject, but this book was far better and never seemed like a dry history lesson.
Lol thanks for the welcome.
My audible player right now

Going by what you are saying I think I'm gonna enjoy this.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

moonspawn

I quit season 1, 14 episodes in the first time around. Then came back to it maybe 2 years later when I heard how good it became after season 1. I agree the first 2 seasons are pretty much the same thing over and over. But yes it's true that it's in season 3 that it becomes truly exceptional, however I think season 4 is even better.

But most impressive, it only gets better and better, and it ends on a high. Unlike so many other shows that start to drag.

Then there's a few episodes throughout the series that are so good it's among the best TV episodes ever made.
Yes, that's good to hear. At first I was puzzled at how high the ratings are for this show but if it really gets that much better then I can see why. I guess I have a lot to look forward to!

Placida

Owns a Ring of Power
Just finished binge watching "Stranger Things." I enjoyed it much in the same way that I enjoy bad B-movies. I laughed often, not always where the director might have wanted me to. You could tunnel through the earth with the number of holes in the plot or unbelievable actions in the story but I still enjoyed it.
During the scene where Nancy and Jonathan are out, at night, in the woods, searching for a monster, Nancy finds a dimensional gate in a tree, covered with disgusting goo. She calls out to Jonathan to come look. There's no reply. Why? He was just there a few moments ago (and is just there in the next scene) but for some reason, he doesn't hear her in this quiet woods for 30 feet away.
So, the obvious thing for Nancy to do? It's not to look for Jonathan, it's to crawl through this goo into the tree trunk into the darkness beyond.
and there are many more scenes like that. But the show was fun. Just leave your sense of disbelief at the door. :)

Matticus Primal

@Placida, I'm with you 100% as to thinking Stranger Things was basically a B-movie. Everyone dresses up all the borrowed 80s references to "homage," but I honestly can't find a single unique thing in the whole show. And the one that most people miss (not Poltergeist, D&D, Firestarter, ET, etc.) is Silent Hill, even though Silent Hill's fingerprints were all over it.

That said, it wasn't a bad show, more like someone taking the toys out of better writers' toybox (King, Spielberg) and moving them around in a different (not unique) way. So yeah, I see the B-movie comparison in the same way that Sharknado played with Jaws. It's not new or unique, but it can certainly be considered amusing.

There's been a lot of love here for Penny Dreadful, and I wholeheartedly stand behind that 100%. Just found out season three is coming to Netflix this month, which means I need to go through the first two seasons again over the next few weeks to be primed and ready for it.

Placida

Owns a Ring of Power
New
If you compare Stranger Things to bad B-movies there can't be much out there that you think is particularly good.
I did think it was good. I think that it was meant to be campy and those plot holes were deliberate. If the creators' purpose was to create a realistic fantasy (is that an oximoron?), then it was not good (although still entertaining).
:)
Perhaps I shouldn't have said "Bad B-movie" and stuck with just B-movie or campy b-movie.

Show I watch regularly

Last edited:

ReguIa

Of those shows you watch I really like Grimm and Big Bang. Tried getting into Under The Dome and Homeland but it just didn't pull me in. They were good shows but by the time I started watching there was just so much going on about how they really dropped in quality.

No interest in watching Elementary because I'm too fond of Sherlock:D

Oh and also, one reason I didn't continue with Homeland was because I was already watching Person of Interest. Kinda similar but PoI deal with a few other things that I find more interesting. Very consistent in writing beginning to end. Excellent show.

Placida

Owns a Ring of Power
I watched PoI for the first 3 seasons and then didn't have the time. I will probably binge watch it now if I get the chance. I liked that show also. Sherlock is also on my radar.

Yes, Homeland and Dome had to be watched from Season 1 to make any sense out of them. :) You should try Elementary. It's a good modern take on Holmes.

fbones24

Started watching Stranger Things and the nostalgia I feel is incredible. I love it.

Fantam

Have just started watching Once Upon a Time. Has anyone else seen this ?

It has 4 or 5 seasons, and am enjoying this quite a lot. For anyone unfamiliar with the plot, a wicked witch has captured all the characters from story tales and they now live in Storybook town (a small U.S. town which they can not leave) unaware of their real background, while a young boy is trying to help them to remember who they really are. There are also flashbacks to events which happened before in their real world.

So far, I have seen Snow White, a Prince Charming, Rumplestiltskin and of course the Wicked Witch, who is now the Mayoress of their town ! :)

Placida

Owns a Ring of Power
I have watched all seasons of Once Upon a Time. I like it, it takes some interesting turns. Some seasons are better than others. Since ABC is owned by Disney, some seasons are obviously bent on promoting Disney movies (101 Dalmations, Frozen, etc.) but definitely worth the watch.