What Movie or TV show are you watching?

Matticus Primal

Journeyed there and back again
Glad you liked it since I was afraid I and others had hyped it up so much that it couldn't live up to expectations. And yes, some of the episodes weren't as good as others. I particularly didn't care for the last one and am very glad they were able to sew the show up with the movie.

I plan on picking up some of the comic books also. Is something new coming out that Summer and Adam were at the comic-con? I know that the group were involved in a net production called "Con Man" Not sure if that has come out yet or not.
I honestly don't know if they were promoting anything. For the most part it seemed like they were just cashing in on past popularity (I note that the more famous/ successful actors weren't there). Same as the actor who played Flash Gordon and Boomer from the original 70s Battlestar. I did see Kevin Conroy though, and that was really cool. Didn't pay to get him to say "I'm Batman," but would have loved to.

Diziet Sma

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
I'm about four episodes through the first season of Marco Polo. I'm still on the fence over whether I like it or not.
I have watched the first 5 and I'm getting bored with it. Not sure whether I'll be completing the first season.

Thoughts from all you first time Firefly watchers?
I ask because I went to my first comic con in 20 years over the weekend and saw Summer Glau and Adam Baldwin there (didn't pay the $50 to get up close to them though). So it's sort of been on my mind because it was so Baader Meinhof-ish.
I have liked it but not loved it. I have enjoyed its mix-cultural feel, for example how they switch from english to mandarin. This East/West background connects very cleverly with its past back in Earth and its main powers. I also liked the fact it was character driven. Like in literature, it makes the whole difference to me. It was witty and it was fun.

The reason I haven’t loved it is because my expectations were really high. Over the last few years, I have only heard wonderful reviews about Firefly. I was ready to be sucked in whole by Serenity. Similarly to what I experienced when I watched, for example, The Wire or The Shield. I know these two series refer to a very different genre and the scope is also utterly different. I’m just remembering how the first few episodes of these two series grabbed me completely and wouldn't let me go till I finished them. Sadly, Firefly hasn’t done for me in that way.

Matticus Primal

The reason I haven’t loved it is because my expectations were really high. Over the last few years, I have only heard wonderful reviews about Firefly. I was ready to be sucked in whole by Serenity. Similarly to what I experienced when I watched, for example, The Wire or The Shield.
That's exactly what I was afraid of, and I'm sorry to hear that you were turned off to two of my other favorite shows for the same reason. With that in mind, let me say that Battlestar Galactica is terrible, Penny Dreadful entirely overrated, and Rick & Morty certainly not worth your time. ;)

Diziet Sma

That's exactly what I was afraid of, and I'm sorry to hear that you were turned off to two of my other favorite shows for the same reason.
Oh no! I didn't express myself correctly, it has been a long day! What I meant was, in my view, Firefly couldn't compare to what I experienced watching The Wire and The Shield. I absolutely loved both of them: The Wire marginally better.

Matticus Primal

Oh no! I didn't express myself correctly, it has been a long day! What I meant was, in my view, Firefly couldn't compare to what I experienced watching The Wire and The Shield. I absolutely loved both of them: The Wire marginally better.
Upon rereading, it looks like you expressed yourself correctly and I just read it incorrectly. I would blame my long day too, but I've only been awake for four hours.

Tanniel

I have watched the first 5 and I'm getting bored with it. Not sure whether I'll be completing the first season.
I was a lot on the fence too, but I watched the whole season, and it had enough good parts to make me watch season 2, which I think was better. Also, I must give them respect for one thing. Hopefully without spoiling the story: there is a siege at one point in the series involving trebuchets. My brother and I were dubious about this being historically accurate, so we looked it up. First use of trebuchets in Chinese/Mongolian history was at that siege. It had similar experiences in season 2, which delves more heavily into Mongolian politics, which I felt taught me a lot.

Still waiting on season 3... *sighs wistfully*

Matticus Primal

I watched season one of Marco Polo but honestly don't remember much about it, which is a pretty good litmus test of forgetability. I really wanted to like it, but... I don't know, it felt like it was just trying too hard.

@Tanniel, I just finished my third watching of season 2 over the weekend. My God, that first episode where they break time and see all of the cats = pure nerd genius.

Tanniel

My God, that first episode where they break time and see all of the cats = pure nerd genius.
"Okay, hear me out on this. You're immortal, right? Which means your life is infinite. That means there's a 100% chance you will eventually do everything, including turning around to look behind you."
"I cannot argue that."

I don't know why, but that exchange gets me every time.

Matticus Primal

"Okay, hear me out on this. You're immortal, right? Which means your life is infinite. That means there's a 100% chance you will eventually do everything, including turning around to look behind you."
"I cannot argue that."

It's like a direct f-u to the concept of the multiverse, which, interestingly enough, was the subject to an interesting article on the Atlantic.

And while we're on the subject of the nerdiest shows on TV, I haven't seen any love for The Venture Brothers, which is the only show (short of perhaps Archer) that rivals R&M in terms of nerd references. Venture Brothers might be strictly a product of US culture though, so I'd love to hear if any of you Europeans are familiar with it.

Matticus Primal

"I cannot argue that."

PS - when the fourth dimensional beings (Key and Peele by the by) take it out on Einstein, who then swears he will break time, is what gets me from that episode.

Tanniel

Venture Brothers might be strictly a product of US culture though, so I'd love to hear if any of you Europeans are familiar with it.
I've never heard of it, but if it is mentioned in the same breath as R&M and Archer (another favourite, and the second time today I talk about it), I will have to check it out.

Matticus Primal

I've never heard of it, but if it is mentioned in the same breath as R&M and Archer (another favourite, and the second time today I talk about it), I will have to check it out.
I highly recommend it if you like those other shows. I was searching for a good clip to demonstrate it, but you sort of have to watch it in context (it also helps if you were raised on old Johnny Quest cartoons and Batman comics as I was). I will point out though that even my wife, who is the furthest thing from a nerd there is, quotes this show on occasion: "Ugh milkbreath."

Last edited:

Diziet Sma

I was a lot on the fence too, but I watched the whole season, and it had enough good parts to make me watch season 2, which I think was better. Also, I must give them respect for one thing. Hopefully without spoiling the story: there is a siege at one point in the series involving trebuchets. My brother and I were dubious about this being historically accurate, so we looked it up. First use of trebuchets in Chinese/Mongolian history was at that siege. It had similar experiences in season 2, which delves more heavily into Mongolian politics, which I felt taught me a lot.

Still waiting on season 3... *sighs wistfully*
Do you think then that, besides its historical accuracy, season 2 story really picks up? My problem is Marco, I find him so wishy-washy…

And while we're on the subject of the nerdiest shows on TV, I haven't seen any love for The Venture Brothers, which is the only show (short of perhaps Archer) that rivals R&M in terms of nerd references. Venture Brothers might be strictly a product of US culture though, so I'd love to hear if any of you Europeans are familiar with it.
I have checked The Venture Brothers and Rick & Morty and, of course, they are not available in Netflix CH yet.
I have found Archer though, which I have added it on, and will start watching soon. I have also available Bojack Horseman, any good?

I have also watched Season 1 of Vikings. It’s good. It's growing on me. Personally, I’m not finding it as good as Bernard Cornwell’s The Saxon Chronicles. I mean his books. The TV Series The Last Kingdom is rubbish, in my view.
Vikings have a good story and a very solid characters development. Of course, it is disappointing when you see these females characters with perfect make up and french manicure, but I guess it won't sell well portraying them in a different fashion.

Tanniel

Do you think then that, besides its historical accuracy, season 2 story really picks up? My problem is Marco, I find him so wishy-washy…
I wasn't fond of Marco either, but I guess eventually you start to accept him after enough episodes. The reason I enjoyed season 2 was that it focused more on the rest of the cast: both the Khan (who I think eventually becomes the real protagonist, if he wasn't always from the start) as well as many of the supporting characters, and that works quite well.

I have also watched Season 1 of Vikings. It’s good. It's growing on me.
I'm constantly torn between enjoying the good parts and being bewildered by the odd choices. Obviously, a lot of poetic license is necessary when creating a historical TV show for the sake of making it a good story, but there are just so many oddities, e.g. how the family names make no sense whatsoever. But I guess they dumbed it down for the audience or something, and I do think Travis Fimmel has excellent charisma, so I'd watch the show for him alone.

Matticus Primal

I have also available Bojack Horseman, any good?
Oh man, that's another show I love (why are they all animated?), but I live in LA and work in the film industry. Very funny with equal amounts of bleak/ black humor. Some folks say the first few episodes are pretty meh (I disagree and think they're all strong), but by midway through the first season it's both heartbreaking and hilarious.

I never got into Vikings but gave the first episode of The Last Kingdom a shot then gave up. Don't know why either of those shows didn't appeal to me but GoT does. Must be the nudity.

Diziet Sma

I wasn't fond of Marco either, but I guess eventually you start to accept him after enough episodes. The reason I enjoyed season 2 was that it focused more on the rest of the cast: both the Khan (who I think eventually becomes the real protagonist, if he wasn't always from the start) as well as many of the supporting characters, and that works quite well.
Righto, I take your word and will stick to it!

e.g. how the family names make no sense whatsoever.
Do you mean the Patronymic system, like in current Iceland?

I never got into Vikings but gave the first episode of The Last Kingdom a shot then gave up. Don't know why either of those shows didn't appeal to me but GoT does. Must be the nudity.
Stunning landscape but freaking cold: not much room for nudity in Vikings, I'm afraid.

Tanniel

Do you mean the Patronymic system, like in current Iceland?
Yes, that's partly the problem; either the writers of the show don't understand how Viking names work, including the patronymic system, or they just don't care. Either way, it is jarring whenever anyone other than Ragnar is referred to as Lothbrok, as that is an epitet for him alone and has nothing to do with family. Of course, that's a different can of worms, since he only got that epitet after slaying a lindworm, so it doesn't make sense either that Ragnar is called Lothbrok. But, I realise that 99% of those watching the show aren't aware of this, so I get why the writers of the show don't bother with it either.

Stunning landscape but freaking cold: not much room for nudity in Vikings, I'm afraid.
We've had 25 degrees these last few weeks, actually. I can't believe it either.

Matticus Primal

Yikes, that is below freezing... and yeah, I'm kidding and know you folks are on the metric system. That's why your system of telling time is all off and why you're so many hours ahead of the US, right?

Yes, that's partly the problem; either the writers of the show don't understand how Viking names work, including the patronymic system, or they just don't care.
So it all comes down to etymology, eh? Can't say I'm entirely surprised. I love what are the bridges of authenticity that we refuse to cross/ willing suspension of disbelief and how random they are. I had a friend who got upset at The Walking Dead because they were firing far too many rounds out of the guns in the episode. I said to him, "you know you're watching a show where the dead magically come back to life, right?"

But I guess that's a credit to the show in that you're objecting to fairly minor details rather than the core conceit of the show.

Tanniel

Yikes, that is below freezing... and yeah, I'm kidding and know you folks are on the metric system. That's why your system of telling time is all off and why you're so many hours ahead of the US, right?
Actually, the time thing has nothing to do with metric system (or the Celsius temperature scale). We are ahead in time because our countries were founded sooner, so we are ahead in time to you guys. That's why India, China, Japan etc. are even further ahead. Perks of being old and all that. You might think Australia disproves this, but they're on the bottom side of the world and thus do everything reverse.

But I guess that's a credit to the show in that you're objecting to fairly minor details rather than the core conceit of the show.
You could say that. For me, it just disturbs my viewing when they begin to discuss geographical details that are impossible to exist. Imagine you're watching House of Cards and they start talking about how, in order to get to New York, they have to cross the border into Canada. Or what President Husseinson is up to with his wife, Mrs. President. The rest of the show may be great, but those scenes will be ruined for you.

Diziet Sma

Yes, that's partly the problem; either the writers of the show don't understand how Viking names work, including the patronymic system, or they just don't care. Either way, it is jarring whenever anyone other than Ragnar is referred to as Lothbrok, as that is an epitet for him alone and has nothing to do with family. Of course, that's a different can of worms, since he only got that epitet after slaying a lindworm, so it doesn't make sense either that Ragnar is called Lothbrok. But, I realise that 99% of those watching the show aren't aware of this, so I get why the writers of the show don't bother with it either.

I read that in the Sagas his nickname Lothbrock, “Hairy-Breeches”, referred to his exploits in slaying a giant draco. I never understood the connection though…

25 Cº Up there?! Well, Down here is rather chillier. Yesterday, I took my students to the forest and I turned a nice shade of blue.