What Movie or TV show are you watching?

Tanniel

Journeyed there and back again
I read that in the Sagas his nickname Lothbrock, “Hairy-Breeches”, referred to his exploits in slaying a giant draco. I never understood the connection though…
Well damn, you triggered me. But I'll try and make it short. This rich farmer gave his daughter a small box of gold upon which rested a tiny lindworm as a pet. The creature grew in size however, as did the gold on which it rested. Eventually it enveloped the entire house where the daughter lived, keeping her effectively prisoner. So her father promised both the gold and his daughter to anyone who could slay it.

Ragnar, being a crafty fellow, knew that fighting a lindworm is dangerous work, because their blood is like acid, burning anything it touches. So he made two precautions. He made himself a suit of fur, not tanning the leather but keeping all the hairs on the fur; he rolled the suit in tar and afterwards in sand, letting the tar act as glue to keep the sand in place. He then removed the nail that kept the spearhead attached to the shaft.

Going into battle, he plunged his spear into the worm. As he pulled backwards, the spearhead remained lodged in the wound. However, as the worm writhed around in its death throes, the spearhead was pushed out and a spray of blood hit Ragnar. But, his sand-tar-fur suit kept him safe and prevented the blood from burning him, and he left the site of the battle.

Next day, they found the dragon dead. Wondering who had slain it, they found the spearhead and searched for the man with the spear shaft to match. Ragnar showed up, and for good measure, pulled out the nail from his pocket as well. He got the girl and the gold, though in true Norse fashion, they didn't give him a nickname for slaying a dragon, nope; wearing hairy pants, that reputation sticks to you for life.

Diziet Sma

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
Well damn, you triggered me. But I'll try and make it short. This rich farmer gave his daughter a small box of gold upon which rested a tiny lindworm as a pet. The creature grew in size however, as did the gold on which it rested. Eventually it enveloped the entire house where the daughter lived, keeping her effectively prisoner. So her father promised both the gold and his daughter to anyone who could slay it.

Ragnar, being a crafty fellow, knew that fighting a lindworm is dangerous work, because their blood is like acid, burning anything it touches. So he made two precautions. He made himself a suit of fur, not tanning the leather but keeping all the hairs on the fur; he rolled the suit in tar and afterwards in sand, letting the tar act as glue to keep the sand in place. He then removed the nail that kept the spearhead attached to the shaft.

Going into battle, he plunged his spear into the worm. As he pulled backwards, the spearhead remained lodged in the wound. However, as the worm writhed around in its death throes, the spearhead was pushed out and a spray of blood hit Ragnar. But, his sand-tar-fur suit kept him safe and prevented the blood from burning him, and he left the site of the battle.

Next day, they found the dragon dead. Wondering who had slain it, they found the spearhead and searched for the man with the spear shaft to match. Ragnar showed up, and for good measure, pulled out the nail from his pocket as well. He got the girl and the gold, though in true Norse fashion, they didn't give him a nickname for slaying a dragon, nope; wearing hairy pants, that reputation sticks to you for life.
Thank you, Tanniel! All I could find was just the reference with a link to an old text. I must admit my Old Norse is kind of rusty.

Tanniel

Thank you, Tanniel! All I could find was just the reference with a link to an old text. I must admit my Old Norse is kind of rusty.
You're very welcome! I hadn't even thought about the story being unavailable online, but it makes sense there's a lot more probability of finding it online in a Scandinavian language than in English. My Old Norse is not exactly fluent either, but thankfully there are modernised versions to read.

Matticus Primal

He made himself a suit of fur, not tanning the leather but keeping all the hairs on the fur; he rolled the suit in tar and afterwards in sand, letting the tar act as glue to keep the sand in place.
I've been catching up on my Batman comics from the mid 90s, and yesterday hit on one where he was fighting a guy made out of acid. So what does he do but defeat the guy by covering him in sand, which was frighteningly familiar to me after having read this post. Funny how the same stories sort of crop up at the same time even though there was probably a thousand years separating the writing of each.

Tanniel

Mmmmmm, when I said "rusty" I meant absolutely non existent... :facepalm:
Well, when I said "not fluent", I meant, I only understand the parts that are similar to modern languages. :) Sort of like speaking English and understanding the odd word in Old English.

Funny how the same stories sort of crop up at the same time even though there was probably a thousand years separating the writing of each.
That is quite the coincidence. At least Batman didn't make a batsuit out of fur as well!

Matticus Primal

I finally started the third season of Penny Dreadful this week, and I'm not going to lie, I audibly cheered twice when the two new characters were introduced.

I'm a big Alan Moore fan, but Penny Dreadful is exactly what I wanted The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen to be but wasn't.

Matticus Primal

Did the 3rd season finish? I'm waiting for it to finish so I can watch it.
The only show I'm willing to do this one time a week thing is Mr.Robot.
Oh yeah, it finished a few months back on Showtime but just showed up on Netflix this month (in the states at least). I believe the series has ended in fact but can't confirm. Just started episode 7 of 9 and I have no idea how they're going to wrap up all the awesome.

Diziet Sma

Oh yeah, it finished a few months back on Showtime but just showed up on Netflix this month (in the states at least). I believe the series has ended in fact but can't confirm. Just started episode 7 of 9 and I have no idea how they're going to wrap up all the awesome.
Third season was my favourite. Mainly focused on the main characters and less on the "fillers" ones. Gothically gloom and foreboding the end of times.

Placida

Owns a Ring of Power
it (Penny Dreadful) finished a few months back on Showtime but just showed up on Netflix this month (in the states at least). I believe the series has ended in fact but can't confirm.
According to the internet, the series is done. It was John Logan (the writer) that wanted it to end (his vision was 3 seasons). Showtime wanted to keep it going (of course, it was a hit) but he didn't want to.

Matticus Primal

According to the internet, the series is done. It was John Logan (the writer) that wanted it to end (his vision was 3 seasons). Showtime wanted to keep it going (of course, it was a hit) but he didn't want to.
Good for him. I think it's really odd that strongly serialized shows like Penny Dreadful can go on without a specific end in mind. I do find it heartening that they halted shooting the first season of Westworld so they could get some plot points decided for season five. That means they have a plan, which means the show might be good.

Bill Door

Firsthanded the newest Caine adventure
I decided not to continue past episode 4 of Marco Polo...at least for now. Last night I started a new show instead...Longmire. With Justified (great show...I'd recommend it highly along with Elmore Leonard's novels in general) gone I needed somewhere else to get my western fix. (they are modern day westerns, but still westerns) I watched the first four episodes and I liked it, but like the first season of Justified...it's been too episodic right now. I'm pretty sure this is a series that becomes more complex as it goes on though, so I'm not too worried about this atm.

Last edited:

Diziet Sma

I decided not to continue past episode 4 of Marco Polo..
I could not either, despite @Tanniel's comments of improvement during second season. I can't recall at all last episode I watched. My head wasn't obviously with MP.

Matticus Primal

Finally finished off Penny Dreadful after being sidetracked by a terrible Luke Cage and pretty decent Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell interlude.

Not going to lie, I teared up when it was all over, mainly because there would be no more of the show. There were a few moments that did annoy me towards the ending (seriously, that's how you chose to weave Dr. Frankenstein back into the finale?!?), but overall it felt like a good ending.

I'm still processing my thoughts, but something bugs me about how Vanessa became more of an object of desire rather than a character towards the ending. She had been so strong before, with the episodes dedicated to her past being some of the best of the series. And then she only had about a paragraph's worth of stuff to do in those last two episodes... and it left me somewhat angry.

The more I think about it, I believe they tried to counteract that by juxtaposing her arc with Lily's, but it still felt as a disservice to a character I loved in favor of a character I was less attached to.

Still worth watching though. I know I'm going to watch the entire season again... starting now...

Anti_Quated

Wife and I took the kids to see an advanced run of Disney's Moana. We ended up being the token white family in a sea of Pacific Islanders, and I'm really glad we went for two reasons:

Moana is, for my part, the best thing Disney have ever done. It seemed very respectful to Polynesian culture and history, had the best song (that everyone in our house hasn't stopped singing yet - You're Welcome!), was full of laughs and embodied a lot of earnest, heartfelt positive sentiment without proselytising or ramming it down the audience's throat. And it got a long round of hearty applause from the entire cinema.

Second, there were laughs and such throughout the film, but there were what I take to be genuine family dynamics and cultural habits in the dialogue and interactions between characters that had the Islanders in the audience cracking up and grinning on multiple occasions, and it was really quite lovely to see their reception of this work that, by necessity, would have been quite difficult in cultivating without offending anyone. Capturing the heart of someone else's traditions is so fraught with eggshells these days, it was really affirming to see everyone, families young and old, enjoying this sweet little film. Obviously it's a Disney film so we're spared the unpleasant realities of tribal life, warfare, etc - but it does deliver on some of the big ones; the importance of finding your place in the world, of destiny and self-fulfillment, of environmental harmony and custodianship of the earth, community roots and family heritage. And it was FUN! The Rock, like Ahnuld before him, is definitely a larger than life character, and like Ahnuld is equally surprising (to me, anyway) for his apparent talent as a comic. Also cool to hear one half of Flight of the Conchords as the slimy crab, and Temuera Morrison is always a welcome addition for his gravitas.

If you have children this is a definite must-see. If you don't, it's nice to let the folks at DisneyCo. wash away some of the cynicism and bleakness of the world with another heart-warming adventure.

(and those tattoos! Hilarious! I wish mine were sentient and so animated).

ExTended

I've watched The Count of Monte Cristo( the 2002 version).

They just don't make the movies that way anymore. I miss the times where they had to relly on the plot to sell the movie, instead of using it just as a way to give some semblance of progression between the baffling action scenes and special effects.

As for the movie - a solid 9/10 if I am to base my score on the enjoyment I've got from the movie. It was like coming home, to the time when the movies could actually make you feel emotions, positive or not, while you were spending 2 precious hours of your life sitting in front of your computer or whatever.

Last edited:

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just watched the first episode of season 5 Walking Dead.

Holy shit that was brutal ... Me & Mrs TTB both a little bit shocked!

Really wanted to watch episode 2 but Mrs wants to watch a programme about some lass with 19 kids ..

Maark Abbott

I have no seasonal anime on my list yet (I need to check Crunchyroll and see what they have). I've just started on Chain Chronicle, however, and that's going to be a seasonal - they just released the first four episodes early. It starts with the heroes being resoundingly defeated and seems to have the potential to be GDAF. We shall see.