What Sci-Fi Book Are You Reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blitzburns4

Owns a Ring of Power
I'm a rather inexperienced fellow in the SF genre. I would -love- to say I'm as adept and experienced in SF as I am in fantasy. It would be amazing if there where another site such as this for SF, but I have yet to find it...Anyways first I want to finish Eric Nylund's works as he's one of my personal favorite authors. However, I am currently reading Dracula by Bram Stoker, and then I have to read Frankenstein immediately after that. (I guess you could say that Frankenstein somewhat fits into Science Fiction.) After that, here is my list;

- A Game of Universe by Eric Nylund

- A Signal to Noise and A Signal Shattered by Eric Nylund

- Pawn's Dream (Not SF) by Eric Nylund

- Dry Water (Not SF) by Eric Nylund

Then I wish to dive into Greg Bear. I want to read his Halo Forerunner Saga, (I've read all the Halo books except the new ones.) then read his other SF works. Then there's Jack Vance. I want to read his Lyonesse Trilogy before reading his other SF series that he's written. Then there's Roger Zelanzy...I really ought to read his second Chronicles of Amber arc. (I've only read the first.) But then I want to jump into his other SF other works which he is so well known for.

Then there's the "classic" SF I -really- want to read, and is on my reading list;

- The Forever War (And subsequent works) by Joe Haldeman

- 1984 by George Orwell

- Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradburry

- Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein.

- War of the Worlds, The Invisible Man, and The Time Machine by H.G.Wells

- A Princess of Mars (And subsequent works) by Edgar Rice Burroughs

- Ender's Game (And subsequent works) by Orson Scott Card. (This one I actually did read, but I wish to read it again.)

And, of course, the biggest and b(est)addest of them all:

- Dune (And subsequent works) by Frank Herbert

Finally there's the Otherworld Series by Tad Williams which I desperately want to read in addition to his fantasy novels.

In regard to SF, though, it seems that what happened to Fantasy hasn't yet happened to Science Fiction. There isn't any "George R. R. Martin" or "Steven Erikson" of Science Fiction that completely changed everything in the genre. SF today is still very reminiscent of the SF which was written 20 to 50 years ago. (At least to my knowledge. I can't find a definitive site that really goes through and searches for new material. Simply reiterations of the list of greatest SF classics which I just named.)

After ALL OF THAT! I really want to get into the Star Wars books :p Keep in mind, though, this is just my S.F. list. Fantasy is an entirely different list.

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot to say I really also wanted to read the complete works from H.P. Lovecraft. Lovecraft is supposedly the SF variant of Edgar Allen Poe, (I'm not entirely sure as I haven't researched his works enough.) but I really like Edgar Allen Poe so I'm pretty interested in what he's got to offer.

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
great "want to read list" you just listed my SciFI book shelf book for book (minus Bradbury I CAN"T STAND HIM, I think he's a Hack just regurgitating a bunch of classic themes and stories, and plus two books I never got around to reading)

OH you want to get into HP Lovecraft, FANTASTIC. word in point he is not anything like Poe. Poe is like a horror version of Dickens (although there are a couple of Dickens Horror) Lovecraft however is more modern in writing style. Written in the 1920s, and 1930s Lovecraft becomes the father of modern horror, writing of SciFi some times, or lots of High Fantasy styled quests (in horrific fashion) and some of his short stories are more stylized in a classic 1800s feel horror.

I recommend "The Walls of Eryx" he coauthored this its a great short story set on Venus of a Horror SciFi nature. and my all time favorite "the Colour from Outside Space" which is a good introductory Cthulhu Mythos story with three movies made of it.( no Cthulhu, Cthulhu Mythos is like saying a Middle Earth Novel or a Forgotten Realms book, or Star Wars universe)

Lovecraft has no copyrights so heres a few good links for his complete collection

the Complete works of H. P. Lovecraft
The H.P. Lovecraft Archive
They are both good , and you can find some in one you can't find in the other, (walls of Eryx is in HPLOVECRAFT.com)
there you go two suggestions and a means to read them, you can knock them both out tonight if are of a mind to.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Going to start World War Z by Max Brooks. Saw the trailer on imdb. Looks pretty cool

blitzburns4

Owns a Ring of Power
@Bierschneeman

Wow, I'm really happy to know that there is someone more experienced in works of fiction that has similar reading tastes! Thanks again for the information (And the links) I hope to have excellent discussions with you regarding these works in the (hopefully near) future.

@Jon Snow.

Interesting. Please feel free to post how you liked World War Z, Snow, (Obligatory compliment to your name.) I'm sort of avoiding WWZ altogether until this season of The Walking Dead is finished. It's a personal preference, but I feel it lets me judge products better individually. (Even though admittedly these two products of of different mediums.) Though I would still like to know how WWZ is coming from a community of people who can better judge the quality of a product of this nature to a greater extent then, say, miscellaneous Amazon reviewers.

Jon Snow

Staff member
@Jon Snow.

Interesting. Please feel free to post how you liked World War Z, Snow, (Obligatory compliment to your name.) I'm sort of avoiding WWZ altogether until this season of The Walking Dead is finished. It's a personal preference, but I feel it lets me judge products better individually. (Even though admittedly these two products of of different mediums.) Though I would still like to know how WWZ is coming from a community of people who can better judge the quality of a product of this nature to a greater extent then, say, miscellaneous Amazon reviewers.
Yeah I'll review it for the blog. Hopefully you feel you can read our blog. I make sure there are no spoilers (at least not the last 6 months while I've been in charge).

I'm watching Walking Dead as well. I think they are very different books/movies. For a start, I think the zombies are very different.

btkong

Staff member
There will be a site like this site for science fiction books. I'm working on building a sister site just for science fiction books at the moment. So stay tuned over the next month.

I'm a rather inexperienced fellow in the SF genre. I would -love- to say I'm as adept and experienced in SF as I am in fantasy. It would be amazing if there where another site such as this for SF, but I have yet to find it...Anyways first I want to finish Eric Nylund's works as he's one of my personal favorite authors. However, I am currently reading Dracula by Bram Stoker, and then I have to read Frankenstein immediately after that. (I guess you could say that Frankenstein somewhat fits into Science Fiction.) After that, here is my list;

- A Game of Universe by Eric Nylund

- A Signal to Noise and A Signal Shattered by Eric Nylund

- Pawn's Dream (Not SF) by Eric Nylund

- Dry Water (Not SF) by Eric Nylund

Then I wish to dive into Greg Bear. I want to read his Halo Forerunner Saga, (I've read all the Halo books except the new ones.) then read his other SF works. Then there's Jack Vance. I want to read his Lyonesse Trilogy before reading his other SF series that he's written. Then there's Roger Zelanzy...I really ought to read his second Chronicles of Amber arc. (I've only read the first.) But then I want to jump into his other SF other works which he is so well known for.

Then there's the "classic" SF I -really- want to read, and is on my reading list;

- The Forever War (And subsequent works) by Joe Haldeman

- 1984 by George Orwell

- Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradburry

- Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein.

- War of the Worlds, The Invisible Man, and The Time Machine by H.G.Wells

- A Princess of Mars (And subsequent works) by Edgar Rice Burroughs

- Ender's Game (And subsequent works) by Orson Scott Card. (This one I actually did read, but I wish to read it again.)

And, of course, the biggest and b(est)addest of them all:

- Dune (And subsequent works) by Frank Herbert

Finally there's the Otherworld Series by Tad Williams which I desperately want to read in addition to his fantasy novels.

In regard to SF, though, it seems that what happened to Fantasy hasn't yet happened to Science Fiction. There isn't any "George R. R. Martin" or "Steven Erikson" of Science Fiction that completely changed everything in the genre. SF today is still very reminiscent of the SF which was written 20 to 50 years ago. (At least to my knowledge. I can't find a definitive site that really goes through and searches for new material. Simply reiterations of the list of greatest SF classics which I just named.)

After ALL OF THAT! I really want to get into the Star Wars books :p Keep in mind, though, this is just my S.F. list. Fantasy is an entirely different list.

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot to say I really also wanted to read the complete works from H.P. Lovecraft. Lovecraft is supposedly the SF variant of Edgar Allen Poe, (I'm not entirely sure as I haven't researched his works enough.) but I really like Edgar Allen Poe so I'm pretty interested in what he's got to offer.

blitzburns4

Owns a Ring of Power
There will be a site like this site for science fiction books. I'm working on building a sister site just for science fiction books at the moment. So stay tuned over the next month.
Really!?!? That's great to hear. I thank you and everyone else who contributes to this site SO MUCH! I would have lost my reading habits if it weren't for you guys. I can't put to words how much this means to me.

moonspawn

Now I'm reading speaker for the dead. Been a while since I've read Ender's Game, but apparently both books were meant to stand on their own so the time disparity shouldn't hinder my enjoyment.

Boreas

Staff member
I haven't quite finished the book I'm currently reading, which is "Myths of Light" by Joseph Cambell, but I've already picked up "Startide Rising" by David Brin - another one of those books that I've had for years on my 'to be read' list.

Boreas

Staff member
Now I'm reading speaker for the dead. Been a while since I've read Ender's Game, but apparently both books were meant to stand on their own so the time disparity shouldn't hinder my enjoyment.
How did you like "Speaker for the Dead"? You would have noticed upon finishing it that it is not a stand alone and needs to be read in conjunction with the two books that follow: "Xenocide" and "Children of the Mind". I found "Speaker for the Dead" to be a more mature work than "Ender's Game". None-the-less, I enjoyed "Ender's" more.

I have started my reread of the Culture books this year with "Consider Phlebas". Rereading Banks is always a pleasure. My third time for "Consider Phlebas" over 13 years.

Jon Snow

Staff member
The sequels to Ender's Game is something that I want to read. Also really want to read Hyperion and start one of the Peter Hamilton series too.

moonspawn

How did you like "Speaker for the Dead"? You would have noticed upon finishing it that it is not a stand alone and needs to be read in conjunction with the two books that follow: "Xenocide" and "Children of the Mind". I found "Speaker for the Dead" to be a more mature work than "Ender's Game". None-the-less, I enjoyed "Ender's" more.
I agree with you. Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide are both much more mature than Ender's Game. Children of the Mind was kind of forgettable.

Boreas

Staff member
I agree with you. Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide are both much more mature than Ender's Game. Children of the Mind was kind of forgettable.
Unfortunately, "Children of the Mind" was a disappointing end, especially as both "Speaker" and "Xenocide" built up the momentum of Ender's continuing story so well. Honestly, I can't remember much of what happened in "Children" except for a few major occurrences.

Derk of Derkholm

... agree ... "Children of the mind" is where the series really starts to get boring...

Am just now reading "Fall of Hyperion", and, while like "Hyperion" it is very imaginative, it is a bit too dark for me so far. Can't see how humanity will make it out of that one so far (about 70% into the book).

Best regards,
Andy

blitzburns4

Owns a Ring of Power
The only other Ender book I enjoyed was Ender in Exile as that covered the immediate political fallout regarding the "Superweapon," that was Ender Wiggins. However, the latter three books of the Ender Quartet I found to be very, very boring. Looking back, I'm surprised I forced myself to read through them.

Otherwise, the Shadow books- though not amazing, were a much better story overall.

Cathryes

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
At the moment I'm trying my best to get though Peter Hamilton "Pandora Star". I'm just about 400 pages into the 800 page book and most nights I can get maybe 10 pages read before my tablet smacks me on my had from falling asleep. Hell I just stop reading to come here.

I hate not finishing a book but it's just o boring atm. And I can't even say I'm invested into any characters at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.