What Sci-Fi Book Are You Reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wrapped up The Martian in less than two days. What a read! One of the best reads this year, no doubt! I was sad it ended.
Now going forward with the second Southern Reach novel Authority by Jeff VanderMeer.
Glad you enjoyed it. It's one of the best books I've read. I adored it!

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
Just started the newest (and fourth) in the Koban series by Stephen Bennett. I absolutely love this series.

atheling

A Poet of the Khaiem
Started 1984.

I'm not very far yet, but one thing already resonates with me: how quick the past can die if it doesn't become part of the standard narrative. Stories have to be told and retold to live on. What we know we know from stories. People, places, and events can fade away rapidly without a narrative in which to keep them. I've seen that at work in my own family. Stuff everybody knew, must have known, a generation or two ago is utterly forgotten simply because a few people chose not to mention it in the presence of young ones. Once they are grown, it's too late, and the past is forgotten.

Boreas

Staff member
Finished "Ethan of Athos" and the The General series.

I've now taken my first step into the Warhammer 40K universe with the Eisenhorn omnibus, which was recommended as the best starting point for someone completely unfamiliar with this massive universe (originally a gaming universe, but has also expanded to include a substantial amount of related fiction). I've always thought of Warhammer 40K as a science fiction/fantasy hybrid and wasn't sure whether I should mention it in the fantasy or sci-fi thread, but so far it has mostly SF elements, so I'm mentioning it here.

Boreas

Staff member
I didn't even know there was a difference. I thought it was just called Warhammer 40K. Thanks for clarifying.

kenubrion

I didn't even know there was a difference. I thought it was just called Warhammer 40K. Thanks for clarifying.
Hey Boreas, I'm still a newb here and don't know if it's been done before and just dropped from lack of interest, but would a thread like the popular "it's December, what fantasy book are you reading?" be useful here.

Boreas

Staff member
Hey Boreas, I'm still a newb here and don't know if it's been done before and just dropped from lack of interest, but would a thread like the popular "it's December, what fantasy book are you reading?" be useful here.
I'm as much a newb as you. I asked the same thing some time back, but no one responded. This thread was started by someone in 2012 and only had a few posts in it. It really only got some life into it after I resurrected it in January this year, but since no one was reading much SF regularly, it didn't seem like there was a need to start new threads every month. Now there are more people reading SF on a regular basis, so I think it would be a good idea. Why don't you do the honours and start one from January? Then, at the beginning of every month, whoever's first can start a new thread for that month.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've made it a Sticky thread, so it'll always be there at the top.

Makes sense to have it as one. Feel free to do a monthly one if you want, but this should help.

Boreas

Staff member
I've made it a Sticky thread, so it'll always be there at the top.

Makes sense to have it as one. Feel free to do a monthly one if you want, but this should help.
It doesn't make much sense to have this thread be sticky since it's always on the top, anyway. Just make the thread for each new month sticky (like in the fantasy subforum) starting with January.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
It doesn't make much sense to have this thread be sticky since it's always on the top, anyway. Just make the thread for each new month sticky (like in the fantasy subforum) starting with January.
Ok. Start one in Jan and we can make it sticky.

ofer

I think it would be a good idea to start a new thread in January since this one is getting too long for comfort. Doesn't necessarily have to be a monthly one, though, as this thread gets something like between 10-20% responses than its fantasy opposite number. We could start one every 3 or 6 months, I suppose, although, as a title, the name "It's the first quarter of 2015, what sci-fi book are you reading?" sounds too fiscal and leaves something to be desired. ;)

Anyway, to get back on topic, started Consider Phlebas by Ian Banks. About 100 pages into it and loving it so far. It's not what I expected it to be at all - From Boreas posts I was expecting something a bit more cerebral and brainy, full of big ideas. Instead I got this really cool start full of action and brutality, and for those of you who never read any of my posts, I consider this a good thing. :)

epicfantasyfreak

We could start one every 3 or 6 months, I suppose, although, as a title, the name "It's the first quarter of 2015, what sci-fi book are you reading?" sounds too fiscal and leaves something to be desired.
How about seasonal instead of "quarterly" which is rather, um, fiscal-sounding?
If going that route though, your Winter thread is late! :eek: Egads! :hilarious:

Boreas

Staff member
I was expecting something a bit more cerebral and brainy, full of big ideas. Instead I got this really cool start full of action and brutality, and for those of you who never read any of my posts, I consider this a good thing.
I did tell you what the bottom line was. Action, adventure, spiffy tech, explosions, crazy aliens (in the case of CP, jihadi aliens), etc, etc. I love all the tech that is used as you read more books. What I wouldn't give for a knife missile. Most of all, it's the eugenics I want.
Live 300-400 years as an average life span? Drug glands? Change sex voluntarily by adjusting hormones in your brain? Repair just about any damage, as severe a trauma as you can imagine? Live indefinitely, if you really want? Hell, change into a different species? Gimme!
The ideas (societal ethos and ethical conundrums) are not the focus, and yet they are.

Iain Banks can be very brutal with his characters. That's why the the wit is a godsend to help ameliorate the effects. And concerning dark and brutal in CP, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Last edited:

epicfantasyfreak

But it's summer in Oz when it's winter in UK. Could be confusing :(
"It's 2014, winter in the northern (summer in the southern), what Sci-Fi book are you reading?" for the title would seem fairly obvious to me, if a bit long-winded. It could be shortened to "2014 winter/summer, what sci-fi book are you reading?" with the "full" title in the OP. The regulars would adapt fairly quickly, I'd think, and you'd just have to deal with the occasional question from a new poster. Or do you think I am being a bit too optimistic there, Tom?

Derk of Derkholm

"It's 2014, winter in the northern (summer in the southern), what Sci-Fi book are you reading?" for the title would seem fairly obvious to me, if a bit long-winded.
That makes me look forward to the "2015 - what SF book are you reading" thread :)

In the meantime, Boreas' suggestions (this and the other thread) have lead me to the realization that while Iain M. Banks is one of my favourite authors, there are still a number of his books out there that I have not read. :hungry:

Best regards,
Andy

wakarimasen

Half way through Ready Player One. I can see the appeal, hugely enjoyable but I do wonder if that's just because I grew up in that time and smile warmly at the references. So far though, with a long history in Gibson and Stephenson, I'm not finding anything particularly original apart from the IRL personas actually being fat and spotty.

That said, it's different enough and it's been so long since I read any cyberpunk that I'm finding it easy and fun to slice through.

Boreas

Staff member
I think the main appeal is that it's a fun and easy read. I only got maybe 50-60% of the references easily. And some of the things mentioned I grew familiar with in the 90s. I remember mostly the latter half of the 80s, and only the last 2-3 years more clearly. I did recommend "Ready Player One" to someone 12 years younger than I, and she absolutely loved it, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.