What Sci-Fi Book Are You Reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
Finished Consider Phlebas by Iain Banks. Had a lot of fun reading it. The first half of the book was fast and furious, packed full of action. The action rate in the second half mellowed a little bit, but it was still a good read. Also liked the overall story and the MC.

I guess this is as good a chance as any to thank @Boreas for the Banks rec. Although I knew he was a sci-fi author, reading his books was never on my list until I saw your posts, and since I enjoyed that one quite a bit, I might just have to read more of his books next year.
If you liked Consider Phlebas so much, you're going to love the rest of Banks' Culture novels. I started there also, and thought it was OK. But the rest of them reveal a lot more about the Culture and have, in my opinion, better story lines. So by all means, keep going with this series.

Griffin

I've forgotten to update here. I've wrapped up War Dogs (by Greg Bear) and Ancillary Sword (by Ann Leckie), both published this year. War dogs was a good read, but I've found the ending a bit underwhelming, it could have used a bit more flesh there. Ancillary Sword was a good read as well and more consistent than War Dogs. It was a bit different from the first book, but retained the great point-of-view. I like how the main character handles things and adapts to his new environment. Plotwise the bigger story didn't truely move forward so I'm curious what will happen in the next book...

Now I've started the last book in the original trilogy of Isaac Asimov: Second Foundation. Quite curious how that story will develop...
Seen a lot of chat about Consider Phlebas, so I've bumped it up to my next-to-read booklist.

atheling

A Poet of the Khaiem
Neuromancer.

First foray into cyberpunk. Might as well start at the beginning.

moonspawn

I read I am Legend. I've further confirmed that post-apocalyptic novels are not for me.

Griffin

Second Foundation: less strong than the two previous books in the original trilogy. Still like the style of Asimov and will try to read his other books as well.
Moving on to Iain M. Banks and his Culture series: Consider Phlebas.

Sir Arthur

Started The Martian last night. I went into it with pretty high expectations, but after reading the first 20% in one sitting, I'd say I wont be disappointed. I didn't want to stop reading, but it was midnight, and I had to get up at 5:30am. So..yeah, I'm tired today.

ofer

Second Foundation: less strong than the two previous books in the original trilogy. Still like the style of Asimov and will try to read his other books as well.
I always thought his Foundation series was his best work. Was less into his Robot books. Another book by him which I liked a lot was The End of Eternity - try that one the next time you delve into him.
Moving on to Iain M. Banks and his Culture series: Consider Phlebas.
Have fun. I know I did. :)
Started The Martian last night. I went into it with pretty high expectations, but after reading the first 20% in one sitting, I'd say I wont be disappointed. I didn't want to stop reading, but it was midnight, and I had to get up at 5:30am. So..yeah, I'm tired today.
Damn all this Martian talk makes me want to read that one. It's already sitting on my kindle. Will probably get to it in a week or two.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly how I was with it. The chapters are just short enough that there was always time for just one more ..

kenubrion

I'm as much a newb as you. I asked the same thing some time back, but no one responded. This thread was started by someone in 2012 and only had a few posts in it. It really only got some life into it after I resurrected it in January this year, but since no one was reading much SF regularly, it didn't seem like there was a need to start new threads every month. Now there are more people reading SF on a regular basis, so I think it would be a good idea. Why don't you do the honours and start one from January? Then, at the beginning of every month, whoever's first can start a new thread for that month.
Can't make myself do it Boreas, since this thread you resurrected is working out fine. If someone else wants to I'll post to it though.

I'm sure I mentioned it already but I'm 65% through Peter Hamiton's The Abyss of Dreams, which gets eleventeen stars from me for greatness. If you've read his Void trilogy (and who hasn't:) this is a must read, and it's got Nigel Sheldon as the star finally, along with Paula Myo. And there's a sequel coming. Nirvana baby.

moonspawn

Didn't you really like Canticle for Leibowitz?
I've read several post-apocalyptic novels. Canticle for Leibowitz was the only one I liked. Well actually that's probably not true as I think I've liked some post-apocalyptic fantasy so I'll say Canticle for Leibowitz was the only post-apocalyptic sci-fi novel I liked.

Derk of Derkholm

Started "The Martian" yesterday ... Took it down to the gym to read while warming up on the treadmill ... Ended up more or less sabotaging my workout (bye, New Year resolutions :)) as I spent much more time than usual on the treadmill and concentrated on the strength exercises that can be done sitting and are thus compatible with reading a book.

My family must have thought i was working out like mad, as I was down in the gym for nearly 2 hours, 1 hour 45 of that most likely dedicated to the book. So I can truly say that I literally could not put down the book. Finished it this morning, definitely a great book.

Best regards,
Andy

Khartun

I read both Ready Player One and The Martian over the last two weeks. They were both excellent. I absolutely loved Ready Player One.

Status
Not open for further replies.