What Sci-Fi Book Are You Reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonspawn

Journeyed there and back again
Currently I'm finished up The Left Hand of Darkness. I have to say that I'm quite pleased with it. It's a deep and meaningful story and the character relationships are actually handled well. A rarity for science fiction! Themes of life and death, of light and darkness, of hopelessness, and of what it means to be alive go a long ways towards creating a truly rewarding read.

Boreas

Staff member
The Dying Earth by Jack Vance is amazing. I'm currently still in the first book, and am on the fifth tale. I've never read anything like this in my entire life.
I liked it a lot more the second time I read it. I read it for the first time some months ago and was a little disappointed that it was a collection of short stories. I had expected it to be a novel(la) and wanted the tale of the protagonist from the first story to continue. Then i decided to go through the short work again some weeks later and decided I liked it more the second time around. I'd read other Vance works before and I think I'd hyped up "The Dying Earth" to myself which is probably why I felt a little let down the first time I read it.

Boreas

Staff member
Currently I'm finished up The Left Hand of Darkness. I have to say that I'm quite pleased with it. It's a deep and meaningful story and the character relationships are actually handled well. A rarity for science fiction! Themes of life and death, of light and darkness, of hopelessness, and of what it means to be alive go a long ways towards creating a truly rewarding read.
Good to know. I've read "The Dispossessed" by LeGuin (a great read) but was unsure about TLHoD for a long time.

Edit: Unsure about picking it up, I mean.

Last edited:

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Should be done with Hyperion today, 100 pages to go ...

And ..

I LOVE THIS BOOK !! The structure of it is fantastic .. the way the pilgrim's tales are interwoven into their journey is so well done! And the individual tales have been fantastic. The Priest's tale had a horror twang to it, and was a proper 'page turner'. The scholar's tale was heart-breaking. Looking forward to the run in, and seeing how Simmons concludes the book. Will be buying Fall of Hyperion (kindle) as soon as I finish.

A huge massive thumbs up from me! And on a side note, I'm really pleased that I'm enjoying a sci-fi book to the extent I am; it opens up a whole new world of reading, and is a great contrast to the fantasy books I've stuck to (pretty much) entirely over the last 3 or 4 years.

Edit: Finished ..... Well that leaves you no option but to go and read the sequel, doesn't it! :)

Last edited:

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finished Fall of Hyperion. What a stunning stunning set of books! Taking the two books into consideration as one (which is the idea of them), the story is so well balanced between the individual character driven elements and the over-riding plot, and it all comes together so well. I'd recommend this whole-heartedly to anyone who hasn't given it a shot yet, I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed!

Starting I Am Legend - Around 30% in but can see why people say it bears little resemblance to the film, because, well, it doesn't. I've also just bought Gateway by Frederik Pohl - the description of it sounded great, so will no doubt get round to this soon.

Hand of Fear

I want to start reading more Sci-Fi so I may make this my first book. The only thing I'm a little concerned about is that if I do everything else after that may not be as good.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm in the same boat HoF, I'm more or less a SF virgin; but this is a must, just read it and worry about everything else after.

Shouldn't you be cracking on with Malazan though?

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finished I Am Legend. More of a long short story than a short long story, or maybe I'm just to used to fantasy tomes! A great book though, had some quite emotional elements despite its short length. It's ages since I've seen the film, but it's fair to say the film is VERY loosely based on the book, in so much that there is a man in it, a dog in it, and some vampire/zombie like things in it. They are both great, but in their own (separate) ways.

Onto Gateway by Pohl.

kenubrion

Dread Empire's Fall (The Praxis) by Walter Jon Williams. Best space opera I've read, and no interminable soul searching and internal dialogue ala David Weber.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finished Gateway by F Pohl. Wasn't bowled over, but enjoyed it. It's basically a story about a guy who travels to the Gateway, an asteroid near our sun which contains a load of spaceships, technological remnants of an ancient alien civilisation, which are capable of travelling right across the universe to predetermined destinations, and back again. It's a lottery where the spaceships will go - some of the crew members come back with new technological innovations which make them mega-rich, others come back dead. The story centres around Rob, and chronicles his journey via the Gateway, and the psychological impact this has on him.

Started Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

fbones24

Hyperion was the first SF book I think I read and yes, it ruined me for all subsequent SF. I hesitate to even label Hyperion as SF as I think any fan of literature would be able to appreciate it.

I am currently reading Red Rising and this is another book that transcends genre. At first I was skeptical and there was a short transition in this book where things got weird and felt forced, but once the "game" starts, there is no turning back. This book is awesome! Not a wasted word by the author which is usually not my style. Sharp, succinct prose which adds to the indescribable intensity of this book. Some incredible imagery and rawness. This is one of the more interesting books I have read in a while.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finished 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep'.

It was alright, kept me motivated to carry on, but never really got me pining for more. Didn't really get that attached to the characters (except maybe Isodore - I'm generally a fan of the 'underdog'), but the setting was great, I could really picture the decayed city-scapes devoid of life. It does kind of make me want to see the film, which I only partly watched once when I was in my teens.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Finished 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep'.

It was alright, kept me motivated to carry on, but never really got me pining for more. Didn't really get that attached to the characters (except maybe Isodore - I'm generally a fan of the 'underdog'), but the setting was great, I could really picture the decayed city-scapes devoid of life. It does kind of make me want to see the film, which I only partly watched once when I was in my teens.
I have seen the movie but not read the book. My understanding is that a lot was changed, though. (I have the book, just not enough time in a day!)

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Deliberating what sci-fi book to read next, my choice is from:

The demolished man (Alfred Bester)
The stars my destination (Alfred Bester)
Rendezvous with rama (Arthur C Clarke)
Flowers for Algernon (Daniel Keyes)
Consider phlebas (Iain M Banks)
Foundation (Isaac Asimov)
The Forever War (Joe Halderman)
Ringworld (Larry Niven)
Ubik (Philip K Dick)
Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury)
Starship Troopers (Robert A Heinlein)
A Canticle for Leibowitz (Walter M Miller)

Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.