Wheel of Time lands with Sony

Ryan W. Mueller

Journeyed there and back again
The annoying thing is she doesn't do it in the first two books. Suddenly it happens every page in the next few books before he tones it down. It was irritating though.
I thought it was pretty funny that Sanderson made sure to include a few braid-tugs in the books he wrote, if I recall correctly. Probably a little inside joke with the fans.

Derk of Derkholm

I have only read the first book but have no interest in a film or tv series. I want it all in my head.
Well, lucky you!!!!

Simple option ... you just read the books

Advanced option ... you think up for yourself how it might continue :)

rudyjuly2

Yup. He did talk about condensing the latter middle section and seems to love the series and do it well. That said there are no guarantees thos ends up on TV. Would be very cool though. If Shannarra can get a TV show then this is far more worthy!

ExTended

I hope that the show would get delayed with 5-10 years.

I am tired of reading LGBTQ inclusion questions for fantasy shows with strong pre-defined world-building. Let them do the adaptations once all this "full deck" non-sense had time to blow away.

I am as apolitical as they get, but when people are trying to shove politics in my escapism, then it's a problem. I am seeing every second WoT fan-site and reviewer ask about inclusion... seriously, if that's the most interesting/vital thing they can think of, then those people have truly lost the spirit of fantasy within themselves.

Sometimes I wonder if I am the only one who misses the times when what someone had between their legs or what they did and who they did it with was the least important part of a well-told story.

ExTended

Well, for what it's worth Amazon officially green-lighted it, so at least a pilot is going to happen.

I am on the fence for it and that's kind of sad, since it's my favorite book series of all time. Every time I get into twitter or in the reddit discussions about the news regarding the show and every 2nd question is about White Tower pillow talk and representation and Rand's love life... it's as if the "fans" are trying to re-write the sh*t out of what WoT already is. If everybody continues to focus on the 2 least important things from the 100 000 things WoT has going for it, then I'd be happily boycotting the show. But I'd reserve my judgement for at least 1 or 2 more Q&As sessions.

Maark Abbott

Well, for what it's worth Amazon officially green-lighted it, so at least a pilot is going to happen.

I am on the fence for it and that's kind of sad, since it's my favorite book series of all time. Every time I get into twitter or in the reddit discussions about the news regarding the show and every 2nd question is about White Tower pillow talk and representation and Rand's love life... it's as if the "fans" are trying to re-write the sh*t out of what WoT already is. If everybody continues to focus on the 2 least important things from the 100 000 things WoT has going for it, then I'd be happily boycotting the show. But I'd reserve my judgement for at least 1 or 2 more Q&As sessions.
*sniffs*

ExTended

1. Female centered story( I've been known to skip the girls' ARCs in my re-reads, although this time around I am mostly enduring them, although I'd probably start skipping Egwene at some point - I am currently at the end of book 5). I like Nynaeve, but she isn't the main character in the books, and at best she's third in the fans' adoration, behind Mat and Rand. And I'd argue that Egwene is 5th only because there aren't any other main characters to push her further down the ladder. If we get a Mary Sue-centered TV show, that'd be it. I literally cannot think of a less relatable female character than Egwene in all the fantasy series I've read. I am OK with them giving Nynaeve more time tough, she is a genuine bad-ass character that could really shine with some smoothing around the edges.

2. The story starting from Moraine's POV outside of Two Rivers and The Dragon being a mystery between the five leaving Two Rivers with Moiraine afterwards - that a total 180 degrees from what the first book is about.

It's like starting The Lord of the Rings from Aragorn's POV. It could work for some audiences, but it totally disregards 95% of the tropes that the first book has going for it.

They've learned nothing from LOTR and GoT. You start with more character centered conflicts and build up along the way, not the other way around.

I am almost at the point of being disgusted by the show before it had the chance to even start.

It feels like The Seeker of Truth - you can already hear "The world is doomed, but luckily one of you will be saving it" opening line in the pilot.

Last edited:

rudyjuly2

Where did you read how the first TV show starts and who it’s centred around (Moraine)? The screenwriter is passionate about the show. I’m not that worried.

As for Egwene, I didn’t realize people didn’t like her. I did. I didn’t really have issues with her. And Mary Sue can be applied to Rand, Perrin and Matt and a whole host of characters. It’s understandable in that the book says they are t’averen but you could argue the same about Egwene and any Two Rivers folk. But I don’t even mind. We don’t need grimdark and grey characters in every book. It’s old school and that’s Ok.

In terms of the #metoo movement or women’s rights as it pertains to the show I do expect some things to be tweaked. But more than anything I’m actually hoping the book is PG13 and has no nudity or sex. The books never depicted sex scenes and used no foul language. Jordan did constantly have women naked in sweat tents or Aiel rituals but the original tone of the books is PG13 imo and I don’t want a rated R /M GOT version. I’d like my 11 and soon to be 14 year olds to watch it if possible.

Edit: If they did start with Moraine looking for Rand it WOULD be consistent with the prequel book written. That’s not how the series started and I would prefer they start with book 1 and I haven’t read anything to suggest they are doing anything to really change the show. Rafe has clearly said he wants to stay true to the source material for most things.

Last edited:

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I don't like how Jordan portrayed female characters. He tried to aim for independent, strong women, but instead they're more often than not misandrist harridans. Guess it's a step up from the authors before him who often portrayed female characters as cardboard cut-outs, mere props for the male characters. Oh well, I just hope the tv-series will achieve what Jordan originally intended for his female cast.

Darwin

I liked Egwene a lot, fwiw. If only Gawyn weren't such a complete imbecile!

I usually don't wish for this, but I hope they don't stick too closely to the books. Cut out the sea folk, the bowl of the winds, and the Black Tower character POV plotlines. Make Taim Demandred like he was supposed to be. Make the Forsaken who die stay dead. Keep the Faile capture and rescue plotline down to a handful of scenes across 2, maybe 3 episodes.

rudyjuly2

I liked Egwene a lot, fwiw. If only Gawyn weren't such a complete imbecile!

I usually don't wish for this, but I hope they don't stick too closely to the books. Cut out the sea folk, the bowl of the winds, and the Black Tower character POV plotlines. Make Taim Demandred like he was supposed to be. Make the Forsaken who die stay dead. Keep the Faile capture and rescue plotline down to a handful of scenes across 2, maybe 3 episodes.
I agree with almost everything you said here. There were definitely some people and plot points that could have been cut. I liked Faille too but the kidnapping plot was weak and felt pointless.