Wheel of Time lands with Sony

Derk of Derkholm

Journeyed there and back again
Oh, she would make a great Elaida, as well :)

ExTended

I've never watched anything with her, so no opinion on her level of talent. However, it would've been nice if they've picked up someone who's naturally a brunette and a little bit more on the "small but vicious" side of things. But it is what it is, as long as she is talented enough for the roll, she can roll the wig I guess. :)

I just hope that they stay away from "One facial expression all the time" actors like Lena, Emilia and Sophie from GoT, the dudes playing Bran and Bronn too. I can live with it for Perrin and Egwene, but I hope that everyone else gets an actor with some depth to them.

rudyjuly2

I always pictured Moiraine as more of a sandy blonde. In my mind she was the actress Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman lol. Did the book really state she was a dark brunette? I remember Siuan being dark haired but not Moiraine.

I never got a good feel for how I want Elaida to look. Someone bitchy will work lol. Give it to Queen Cersei!

Edit: I didn't care much for Gone Girl but the first Jack Reacher movie has Rosamund and I liked her.

Last edited:

ExTended

I always pictured Moiraine as more of a sandy blonde. In my mind she was the actress Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman lol. Did the book really state she was a dark brunette? I remember Siuan being dark haired but not Moiraine.

I never got a good feel for how I want Elaida to look. Someone bitchy will work lol. Give it to Queen Cersei!
Well, the way I always imagined her comes from the cover of the first book:
plus I was always under the impression that the Cairienin royal family were kind of dark brown haired, wall-nut brown or something.

But then I've always pictured Seanchan to be Asians due to their armor, very Eastern-based culture, the screens they were using for the rooms, i.e. Eastern-like materials, and the whole honor and cast-based system. I didn't really get that they're dark-skinned until after I've read like 11 of the books, so in my mind Tuon is still slightly darker complexioned Natalie Portman.

The best depiction of how I imagine Moraine would be from here:

But add 5-10 years to her face.

And this is my Egwene

But I'm not too stuck up about the casting choices tbh, since I'd have a hard time picking people myself and they'll never match how I see the characters in my mind. And to be honest they'll probably pick people who are too attractive anyway, the way I usually imagine fantasy characters is as attractive people but with a little bit of wear around the edges. :)

EDIT: Tamzin Merchant would've made a great Elayne though, but she's probably way too old for the role now.

EDIT 2:

Those guys had a great potential Lyandrin in the beginning of this fan-movie, looks-wise. Her acting is abysmally bad.

And Augustus Prew would've made a great Mat, but he's kind of old now too. I'd love to see Richard Coyle playing Inghtar though. Or Logain.

Last edited:

ExTended

I was thinking of Tom Holland too, but he's too unrealistic with his A level salaries. The problem is I don't really watch all that many post-2015 made shows, so no idea who's good and who's not, especially from the younger folks. My mental image of Mat is probably quite much influenced by the side-kick blond male character in Yu-Gi-Oh from my childhood or say the MC in Bleach. They have some of that wild-card feel to them.

If they poach someone from GoT, I'd love it to be Nell Tiger Free as Elayne or Egwene. Or Nathalie Emmanuel for Suroth. I wouldn't really mind her as Tuon either, although she's 5-8 years too late for that party most likely.

EDIT: And a totally guilty-pleasure kind of cast would've been Britt Scott Clark Clark as Min. That girl has both the look and wits to pull off a tom-cat-ish, no idea for acting talent, though. I only know her from a meme series.

[MEDIA]

[MEDIA]

Last edited:

Cyphon

Don't love Rosemund Pike as the choice for Moraine. Not really how I pictured her. Looks aside someone I think would play a good Moraine is the woman who played Melisandre in GOT.

Not feeling Tom Holland for Mat either. He is a solid Spidey but not exactly what I would look for in Mat. Too nerdy for the role IMO. Give me the confidence and humor of the lead guy from the Kingsman movies for Mat.

Perrin should be fairly easy. Just off the top you get get the guy from GoT who played Gendry. Throw a build on him and maybe have him bulk up some more.

For Rand I am not quite sure. Maybe Logan Lerman or at least someone similar.

Last edited:

Derk of Derkholm

So Prague will star as Caemlyn? Nice.

I really like Rosamunde Pike as an actress, though I somehow did not picture Moiraine like her at all.
As I said, I would rather have cast her as Elaida :p

ExTended

Get woke, go broke.

I hope it fails, so that we could have someone who actually cares about story-telling take it and make it into a good TV series 20 years from now. Amazon can go fuck themselves.

ReguIa

Amazon can go fuck themselves.
Why? Maybe I've missed something, but all we got is Pike and a few new faces. How are you so sure it will be bad? Their new ''The Boys'' is incredible TV. They also took over The Expanse. The Man in the High Castle is supposed to be pretty solid too. Compared to Netflix and HBO for example, both of which have dropped in quality considerably lately on their shows. Amazon is making solid decisions.

ExTended

Why? Maybe I've missed something, but all we got is Pike and a few new POC faces.
Fify.

I don't want to get into it to be honest. I get it that those people live in an echo-chamber where making Perrin, Nynaeve and Egwene black is some sort of moral victory in their minds and they're green-lighted to do so by people sharing the same politics. In my mind keeping true to the source material is what makes for a massively better show, for a timeless show, but that's just me.

The difference is: Game of Thrones TV-Show would be big even 20 years from now, because it has a tone and artistic integrity and it's not a needless propaganda, but a mirror to the reality of the human soul, not the US politics in the 2010s. Wheel of Time books would do the same - they're timeless, as much as books could be. The Wheel of Time TV-Show... not so much. Because it's made by hacks who put their politics in front of their artistic integrity, in front of keeping true to the spirit of the books. It might be entertaining by chance, but it would be instructional first. Instructional about things that it shouldn't be instructional about, because it just gets into the category of propaganda.

You can clearly break the Two Rivers cast into two categories: White males( the madman Rand and the comic relief Mat), and then we have the all-wise people of color - Nynaeve the wise one, Egwene the always right one, and Perrin who unlike the other two boys is more self-centered and down-to-earth.

Even many POC WoT fans are disgusted by this blatant disregard for keeping to the tone of the books first and not making the show about politics, because you know... we as people are able to tell when something made up makes sense in terms of cultural and geographical realism, regardless of our background, we are after al surrounded by the same realism in our own lives.

I'm just very, very glad that LOTR movie trilogy adaptation wasn't handed to such talentless hacks, otherwise it would've lacked a soul, a vision and a point. Same with Game of Thrones - D&D might've looked like complete baffoons at the end, but they knew that they've had gold in their hands and how not to turn it into pig-shit. WoT's producers don't. All the very best to them, but I'm out of this circus. This isn't Wheel of Time as far as I'm concerned, just some leftist's talentless hack filmed fan-fiction about it. You know all those Hermione + Draco fan-fics... in my mind it comes and goes to the same place.

rudyjuly2

It’s not really politics by having a black actor play a role. The Little Mermaid is gonna have a black girl play the character. Some are mad. But historically 99% of Disney characters are white so having an black character is bad? No. It’s just different and no big deal. The colour of the skin of these characters doesn’t need to affect the story at all. It really doesn’t bother me that they are creating a world less colour blind. I know Jordan may have attempted to have the Seanchan or other cultures portrayed in certain ways but it’s not central to the telling of the story imo.

WOT is dated in some ways and the TV show may modernize it. I enjoyed the series but the TV Show is going to have to condense and change the story no matter what. Books 7-10 were mediocre at best as the book ground to a halt with certain things and we can’t expect to do 14 seasons for 14 books. Robert Jordan wrote a teenage boys wet dream in some ways by having women constantly naked during rituals and having Rand get three women in bed with him. Some of that stuff was completely unnecessary imo. The truth is the core of the story isn’t going to be affected much by any of these things imo. As long as Mat is a wide cracking jokester I will be happy. If Nynaeve plays the hot tempered overwhelming personality it will be fine. If Perrin stays the quiet, humble giant no problem.

If anyone is that offended by an actors skin colour I think they need to re-evaluate their own core principles in life.