Wheel of Time Math

rudyjuly2

Journeyed there and back again
I thought this article was interesting. It breaks down word count, men vs women counts, nationalities, length of chapters, etc along with many graphs. The series has 4.4 million words! Biggest epic fantasy series ever. The one thing that stood out to me was that while the first book was largely male dominated, by the end of the series more words were given to women than men. Probably not true for many epic fantasies (particularly LOTR).

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/statistical-analysis-wheel-time/

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Interesting graph! I wonder what Non-binary means? Are these the chapters with the male Forsaken in a female body? Or the Golem?

rudyjuly2

Interesting graph! I wonder what Non-binary means? Are these the chapters with the male Forsaken in a female body? Or the Golem?
The article did mention that Forsaken although did not mention that he used the non-binary in the graph specifically. But the non-binary only shows up in the books with this Forsaken so that has to be it.

"Aran’gar, the Forsaken who originally inhabited the body of a male, but after death was corporeally returned as a female, received viewpoint scenes in Path of Daggers and Knife of Dreams."

Darwin

A comment in the Ajah analysis section made me google. Apparently 22% of Aes Sedai were actually Black Ajah. Kind of puts Aes Sedai as a whole in a different light.

Darwin

"Note: the “NA” points refer to scenes that are either quotes, passages from in-world texts, or narrator viewpoints with no gender specified."

In one of the other figures it shows the lengths of the NA chapters are very short.

Darth Tater

A comment in the Ajah analysis section made me google. Apparently 22% of Aes Sedai were actually Black Ajah. Kind of puts Aes Sedai as a whole in a different light.
I really like what Jordan did with these six

Seriously, don’t read these spoilers until you’ve completed the series.

1. Sherriam. A surprise to me. Mustress of Novices. The spanker. She did sometimes show mercy. Egwene has her executed with the others. She has to be dragged. No dignity. She xan dish it out but can’t take it.Chop. Head goes in bucket.

2. Elaida. Bitch.Captured hiding by Seanchan in attack on the white tower. Thrown on the back of that thing when first leashed.

3. The pretty one withvpouty lips. (Liandrin?) who in the beginning was the leader of the group of 12 or so that ran from the Tower and caused all sorts of problems. We later find her leashed as well.

4.That red sedai wench taken by the aiel and forced to go to the waste spanked and naked to be enslaved by some aiel bitch.

5. Poor Verrin. Moiraine told the boys jn the beginning to trust nobody including verrin. So we Kind of knew. We liked Verrin. She dies by her own hand peacefully (poison). Forced to go black ajah she gives Egwene the book in the end exposing every last black ajah.

6. Myrelle? The green who bonds rand against his will and dies in the end for it when used by darkfriends as bait in Shaitans cave to catch rand.

Well played Jordan

rudyjuly2

You have the last two wrong Darth.

Myrelle wasn’t black ahah and didn’t bond Rand. That was Alanna and she wasn’t black either. Verin was black but only to infiltrate the black ajah for the greater good after she was caught by them.

http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Verin_Mathwin
http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Alanna_Mosvani

I was surprised initially with Sherriam but she got real weird when they split from the White Tower.
One thing I can't remember - who was the hidden black Ajah/spy in the disguise with the gold trim of her gown at the White Tower? Was that a Forsaken? I just read the whole series last year but already I forget stuff.
Edit - that was the Forsaken Mesaana, who posed as a brown ajah.
http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Mesaana

Last edited:

Darth Tater

Absolutely guys. I even remembered those two things as I typed. I actually planned to make both distinctions but forgot. I’m glad you caught them!

The one bitch still totally had it coming regardless. I felt a little sorry for the other but...live scheming Aes Sedai die scheming Aes Sedai.