Which Malazan book is the best (for you) ?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Alucard, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Malazan is an amazing epic fantasy. I'm sure most people here would have no objection to that. However, we all enjoy some books more than the others. In a series as big as Malazan there are sure to be some hits and misses.
    So which have you enjoyed the most? By all means include Esselmont's books as well.

Personally I have enjoyed DG the best, because it was such an emotional roller coaster from start to finish, and all those emotions pair real nice with military aspect of Malazan books and create an interesting juxtaposition of the two.

So far my personal Malazan ranking looks like this:

1. DG
    2. MoI
    3. HoC
    4. The Wurms of Blearmouth
    5. GotM
    6. The Lees of Laughter's End
    7. Blood Follows

2. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Memories of Ice, for me, has always been that series' benchmark.

3. Alucard

All the whining of certain characters all through out the book took a lot of the enjoyment out for me. Can't stand whiners.

4. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

It's one of my favorites as well. Granted, I last read it like 10 years ago. It is one of the last Malazan books that doesn't run together for me.

5. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Midnight Tides was my favourite. Every story line was brilliantly done and there weren't any lulls like there are in a few of the Malazan books. Oh, and there was Tehol.

Closely followed by Orb Sceptre Throne which was so exciting from start to finish. Definitely ICE's best instalment.

6. Alucard

This is promising to hear since this is the next on the Malazan schedule for me. House of Chains definitely had lulls. Lots of them.

7. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

It's Deadhouse Gates that I had most troubles with. It was a long bumpy road.
    I'm only 3 books in, but Memories of Ice is for sure the best. And it just keeps getting better! There have only been a few scenes that fell short for me. Whose whining was getting on your nerves, by the way?

8. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

1. Reaper's Gale
    2. Memories of Ice
    3. Deadhouse Gates
    4. Midnight Tides
    5. Bonehunters
    6. Gardens of the Moon, House of Chains
    7. The Crippled God, Dust of Dreams, Toll The Hounds

Something like that.

9. Alucard

Mhybe. Ugh, when I remember it...yuck.

There was also one contrived romance which was annoying as fuck.

10. Andrew.J

Do I see a tendency of the quality of the books going down after the heights of 2,3,5? What was your least favourite Malazan Book then? By Erikson. I don't feel ready for Esselmont yet. :D

11. Andrew.J

Oh. I think she's lovely. :p Mind sharing which?

12. moonspawn

moonspawn Journeyed there and back again

My favorite was Midnight Tides (can you tell by my avatar?). Unlike most of the books in the series it was tightly focused (not as many plotlines or characters), it didn't have any lulls, and it was refreshing because we're introduced to an entirely new thread in the Malazan epic.

13. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

My favorite is Deadhouse Gates. I absolutely loved that book.

14. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

I'm glad someone besides me will admit to them running together. I went from one to the next without pause when I discovered them a few months before Crippled God came out, and only had to wait a short time for that. So Crippled God is my answer in terms of my favorite as well as the only one that stands apart. It's just one big long story to me.

Edit to say I had not known of my opportunity to buy the Kindle version of all ten for $2.99 each, the matchbook price since I bought all of them in print form. So I did and now I might reread them. The hard copies were given away long ago.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  15. GreyMouser

GreyMouser Journeyed there and back again

It's been a good 5 years since I read these books but from what I remember I'd rank the best of them like this:

1. Midnight Tides
    2. Reaper's Gale
    3. Memories of Ice
    4. The Bonehunters
    5. Deadhouse Gates

16. WestOfJanuary

WestOfJanuary Got in a fistfight with Dresden

For me it was Deadhouse Gates. The chain of dogs was one of the greatest storylines I ever read.
    I also liked Gardens of the Moon. Great atmospehere

17. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

I agree. The Chain of Dogs and the Whirlwind is what made DG so awesome. Some of the best, intense and emotional storylines I've ever read.

18. Alucard

Whiskeyjack and Korlat

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

19. moonspawn

moonspawn Journeyed there and back again

I like the Malazan books in that exact same order too, except I'm not sure about Deadhouse Gates.

20. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

I haven't rated many books five stars but I rated GotM, The Bonehunters and Return of the Crimson Guard 5 out of 5.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016