Which Malazan book is the best (for you) ?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Alucard, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Damn shame you didn't misspell that as "Return of the Crimson Gourd" because that sounds like an awesome Halloween title :D

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. ofer

ofer Journeyed there and back again

The middle books - Midnight Tides, The Bonehunters and Reaper's Gale. If we're including Esslemont, than Orb Scepter Throne as well.
    Strangely enough, Memories of Ice, which most people here regard as one of the best, is one of my least favorite books of the series.

3. Belg

Belg Knows how to pronounce Kvothe

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but sometimes i buy all the books to a series at once as was the case with the Malazan Books.. Then i proceed to devour them at a frantic pace.. Now looking back at them its really hard to separate where one book ended and the other started... but i do know i enjoyed the series !

4. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I don't always buy or read them all at once -- for me, only the first 2 or 3 Malazan books were out when I started reading that series -- but they all run together for me, too. WoT was like this, Malazan was like this, pretty much any story with more than one novel involved is like this.

5. moonspawn

moonspawn Journeyed there and back again

Interesting. After it's been a while since I've read a book my memory will turn pretty fog, but yet I still have compartmentalized in my head where certain events happened in a series, and I can very vaguely remember the order of events. It doesn't really run together at all for me unless its a series where the story in each books picks up right where it left off.

6. Tom Lim

Tom Lim A Muggle

I actually liked Night of Knives best, which is a side story to the main series.

Some of the main books have too much text that does not seem to bring the story forward, but this was good reading all the way through.

7. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

First person I've encountered to rate NoK above the main sequence. To my opinion, it's a far, far weaker book. ICE just doesn't have the chops to keep up with Erikson. It's not that he's bad (far from it), just that there's a tier difference between the two.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jakyro

Jakyro Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I haven't finished the series yet (I'm on book 7 now), but this would currently be my preference:

1. The Bonehunters
    2. Deadhouse Gates
    3. Memories of Ice
    4. Reaper's Gale (with everything that's still coming I expect it to become 4th)
    5. Midnight Tides
    6. Gardens of the Moon
    7. House of Chains
    8. Night of Knives

I haven't read the novella's about Bauchelain and Korbal Broach. I'll probably read them somewhere in the future
    For me HoC was definitely the weakest in the main series with too many lulls. I also thought the ending was a bit of an anti-climax

9. Alucard

I read three of them. They are not so serious as main books. Erikson takes an advantage of shorter format really well and he concentrates on really dark humor as well as relationship dynamic between poor old Mancy and those two oafs. The dialogue between Mancy and Bauchelain is hilarious.

You aren't really losing much if you don't read them, but if you enjoy Erikson's humor peppered throughout Malazan books you'll probably like them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

I think that that will be my next read.

11. Alucard

A bit of advice then. I would suggest chronological order just like Malazan wiki recommends.

Chronological Order:

1. Blood Follows
    2. The Lees of Laughter's End
    3. The Wurms of Blearmouth
    4. The Healthy Dead
    5. Crack'd Pot Trail
    6. The Fiends of Nightmaria
    Recommendation: Chronological Order

Due to their haphazard publishing schedule and individually contained stories, these novellas' publishing order is vastly different from chronological order. Either way, Blood Follows serves as the first novella and is the best introduction to the novella series. Readers may find the story flows much more naturally if the novellas are read in chronological order rather than published order.

There are no major spoilers from any B&KB novella to any other. However, Crack'd Pot Trail is best read after The Lees of Laughter's End and The Healthy Dead due to the reappearance of some characters and concepts.

Bauchelain and Korbal Broach also appear in Memories of Ice and in Orb Sceptre Throne. For chronological order, Memories of Ice should be read after The Wurms of Blearmouth and before The Healthy Dead. It is unclear when exactly The Healthy Dead and Crack'd Pot Trail occur in relation to Orb Sceptre Throne, but as long as The Wurms of Blearmouth is read before Orb Sceptre Throne it doesn't matter.

12. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Thanls Alucard. I've already read Memories of Ice, so I can disregard that bit. But I am still to read Esslemont's Malazan books and it is good to know that the Bauchelain and Korbal Broach books can be read before.

I'll definitely stick to your reading order.

13. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

It could jump higher than that but the three you have above are damn good.