Which should I read next?

Jamie G

Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life
I'm finishing up the First Law Trilogy now (no spoilers please!)

What should I read (or start) next out of these...

Malazan
Mistborn
Tigana
Mythago Wood
A Sword of Shadows
Dresden Files
Kingdom of Thorn and Bone
A Song for Abalion
Furies of Calderon
Black Company
Night Angel Trilogy

I'd love your feedback, but please keep it to something on the list. Those are the books that I own, and are queued up and ready to go. I've tried Malazan before, but had some trouble getting into it and stopped halfway through book 1. I'd like to give it another shot at some point.

As a frame of reference, some of my favorites are Song of Ice and Fire, Lies of Locke Lamora, and (now) First Law Trilogy... I know.. big stretches there for favorites.

Please let me know what you think. You can even rank a few in order of what I should go to next.

If after Abercrombie you're feeling the need for something lighter, Dresden would be a great choice. Great books with a nice smart-ass edge to them. They're all stand-alone stories with a couple of references to either work so they're perfect for reading one at a time between trilogies.

After that I'd go with Mistborn. I'm trying to convert as many people as I can to that series. It's a very well thought out trilogy.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Steadfast said:
If after Abercrombie you're feeling the need for something lighter, Dresden would be a great choice. Great books with a nice smart-ass edge to them. They're all stand-alone stories with a couple of references to either work so they're perfect for reading one at a time between trilogies.

After that I'd go with Mistborn. I'm trying to convert as many people as I can to that series. It's a very well thought out trilogy.
Mistborn for LIFE! Still the best book I've read this year (and I read it in January)

Malazan, Mistborn, Dresden, Kingdom of Thorne n Bone, and Furies of Calderon are all great choices. If you try rereading Malazan, just keep pushing on. Once you get into the groove, you get totally blown away. Dresden is a great series, too. I was hesitant about it becase of the whole "wizard in Chicago" thing, but the story is great, and Dresden is hilarious. The first two books are just ok, but the rest make it totally worth it. Plus, they are easy to read, and you can go through them in about 8-10 hours of reading time.

I thought Tigana was great. Of course I think anything written by Guy Gavriel Kay is great. It's also a stand alone novel. I have heard some people complain that it's too slow to begin with, but it's still one of the best books I've read.

HazyJay

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
If you didn't like Malazan, I'd try to stay away from the Black Company, as well. They feel very similar. That being said, I'd give Malazan another shot sometime down the road. I had to plug away at the first one and almost put it down, but once I found Erickson's rhythm it was a great read.

Jamie G

Great feedback so far. Please feel free to keep adding the input.

I had trouble following what was going on in the first half of Malazan. I found the magic to be a bit confusing, with the portal openings and crawling through seams in time/space... I'm definitely going to give it another shot though.

I'm almost done with Mistborn. It's excellent. (although one charachter goes on and on about this one issue he's having, gets a bit old)

I just finished Night Angel before that. It is hard to put down, be warned. there are a lot of story lines so the end gets a little chaotic and leaves a lot of unanswered questions but there will be another trilogy set some years after so keep that in mind. i was pretty much enthralled by it. it was very good.

Jon Snow

Staff member
alk24 said:
I'm almost done with Mistborn. It's excellent. (although one charachter goes on and on about this one issue he's having, gets a bit old)
Oh poor Elend!

Jon Snow said:
alk24 said:
Oh poor Elend!

oh yeah, he is pretty bad too. i was thinking Sazed. he is one of my favorite charachters but i got the point already!!!!

btkong

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
alk24 wrote:I'm almost done with Mistborn. It's excellent. (although one charachter goes on and on about this one issue he's having, gets a bit old)
Have to agree there -- it does get quite old, that wining. Sanderson is great with action, but with romance he plain sucks.

HazyJay

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
Jamie G said:
I had trouble following what was going on in the first half of Malazan. I found the magic to be a bit confusing, with the portal openings and crawling through seams in time/space... I'm definitely going to give it another shot though.
That was my problem as well. It doesn't come right out and explain how the magic works, but enough hints are dropped that you get the gist of how it works. It does get easier, I promise.

btkong said:
alk24 wrote:I'm almost done with Mistborn. It's excellent. (although one charachter goes on and on about this one issue he's having, gets a bit old)
Have to agree there -- it does get quite old, that wining. Sanderson is great with action, but with romance he plain sucks.

There was a lot of internal dialog about that and other things that went on at nausium. now that i know more about the author it made sense. but....the series was excellent. im sad it's over

Jon Snow

Staff member
Hey guys, the spoilers are getting a bit heavy. I don't think Jaime will be or other people that haven't read it yet will be happy.

Jamie G

Thanks, Jon. I purposefully didn't read the posts for fear of that.

Thanks for the insight into Malazan, Hazy. I've told Jon before that I'm a sucker for long series with cool covers - enter Malazan. So I want to give it another shot. I'm glad to hear it gets easier to understand.

btkong

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
I second what Kalam says. Night Angle Trilogy is very good. Furies of Calderon is another good bet -- it's really evolved into an entertaining (different) fantasy series.