Who are the "right" people?

wakarimasen

Journeyed there and back again
So this is inspired by a tweet from Mark Lawrence where he was saying that he had been approached by lots of people to do games/films/graphic novels of the Broken Empire series, but not the right people.

A pal of mine suggested that the right person to do the film of the Broken Empire would be Guillermo Del Toro.
That sounded like an almost uncanny fit to me. Got me wondering if there are any other filmmakers or game makers that would be a natural fit for some of our favourite fantasy books.

Any suggestions?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
The Right People. I wonder if Lawrence knows that in the Gentleman Bastards sequence this is the title of the thieves, whores and other low-lifes of Camorr.... :)

Speaking of the Gentleman Bastards, I think Quentin Tarantino would be able to do a great job of adapting the series into a cool screenplay. Halfway through the Lies of Locke Lamora I told my wife that Tarantino would be the perfect man to do it, because of the fact that, like Scott Lynch, he is amazing in portraying banter between friends. Another point on which Lynch and Tarantino are alike are the action sequences.

Sparrow

Well, having not read the books...
I do recall Clive Barker was on the brink of making a big deal with Disney to buy the rights to his Abarat; Days of Magic, Nights of War series, turn it into a big budget movie and theme park ride at Disney World... and yeah, too much foot dragging and negotiating and there will not be a movie, nor a theme park ride, or anything, ever. Lawrence should strike while the iron is hot.

Though Del Toro has the capacity to make beautiful and meaningful films {I'm thinking of Pan's Labyrinth}, the majority of his movies are junk food consumed by retards.
Personally, I think Del Toro is overrated... only that asswipe Quentin Tarantino is worse.

David Fincher {Fight Club} would be a good choice, though his movies are more intimate studies of insanity, as opposed to wide sweeping epics...

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Personally, I think Del Toro is overrated... only that asswipe Quentin Tarantino is worse.
Ouch, you just torpedoed two of my favorite film makers. :p

wakarimasen

are more intimate studies of insanity, as opposed to wide sweeping epics...
Can't say I got that feeling from his filmography on imdb. Some alright films in there but only really Fight Club could be said to fall into that category.

I haven't read the Gentleman Bastards @Silvion Night but you're not wrong at Tarantino doing great dialogue (according to you me and the majority of filmgoers whose cinema screens aren't installed proctologically).

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Speaking of the Gentleman Bastards, I think Quentin Tarantino would be able to do a great job of adapting the series into a cool screenplay. Halfway through the Lies of Locke Lamora I told my wife that Tarantino would be the perfect man to do it, because of the fact that, like Scott Lynch, he is amazing in portraying banter between friends. Another point on which Lynch and Tarantino are alike are the action sequences.
I can't stand anything I've ever seen by Tarantino (which, admittedly, isn't much, because my first reaction was so negative). I hate, hate, hate his work. It is all about shock value and how cool he thinks he is because of his music collection and trying to come up with lines that people will quote later on and it ends up very disjointed because he is trying to smash too many things together. I would have to boycott the movie on principle, even though I like Lies.

ReguIa

Mistborn - Zack Snyder. His darker tone and style (Watchmen, Sucker Punch, little bit Man of Steel) would be a perfect fit.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
That's a great fit Regula!

Who would you cast as Vin, Kelsier and Elend?

Sparrow

Can't say I got that feeling from his filmography on imdb. Some alright films in there but only really Fight Club could be said to fall into that category.
His movie Seven and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, both pretty good... Seven is brutal.
I mean c'mon, Del Toro has made four Hellboy movies. That alone should disqualify him from movie greatness.;) But as I said, he has made excellent movies in the past, Pan's Labyrinth was beautifully done and is still one of my favorite fantasy films.

Sparrow

Ouch, you just torpedoed two of my favorite film makers. :p
Tarantino employees the same exact quirky style to every movie he does; it was groundbreaking and brilliant for Reservoir Dogs... but all these years later and then we get Inglourious Basterds done with the same quirky/hip treatment. A send up of WWII genre movies, but this one has a background plot that concerns the Jewish Holocaust. I'm sorry, but there's just something inherently not quirky about the extermination of six million Jews. When did the Jewish Holocaust become thrill-a-minute entertainment?

ReguIa

@Silvion Night It is, isn't it! Now how do we proceed to make that happen...

Honstly I have no idea. Preferably some unknown actors. The first choices that pop up in my head is of course my favorite actors and actresses, the problem is I like them so much because of amazing performances as other characters.

If any of them were to take on the role of Kelsier or Vin (characters I adore) I would still see the other characters they've played before. I'd rather someone new took on the role to make it his/her own.

ReguIa

Oh I have one!

The part of the narrator from the logbook can gladly go to either Benedict Cumberbatch, Charlie Hunnam, Tom Hiddleston or Misha Collins. That would be chilling!

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I like Tarantino's early movies a lot. Reservoir Dogs is my favorite. I also don't hate his later movies, I enjoy watching them, but they are lacking that rawness and honesty he had with RD or Pulp Fiction.
Now as much as I love his movies, I don't think he has the chops for fantasy.

I would trust the hell out of Del Toro with any Neil Gaiman book or similar writers. The man just has a knack for mixing horror with fantasy and is capable of imagining fantastical settings. Unlike, Tarantino for example, who has his own aesthetics, but it's not grandiose or magical like Del Toro's can be (I can't wait for Crimson Peak ;) )

I think Joss Whedon would do a decent job out of any fantasy book, just because he goes into detail with character development and tries to understand the material he is working with. So definitely books that are character driven like Robin Hobb's or Joe Abercrombie's books, I would trust him with that.

I haven't read Mark Lawrence's books so I can't comment on that.

Sparrow

Actually, I think the Coen Brothers might be a good fit.
No Country for Old Men was excellent, albeit morbidly funny... where I couldn't give a damn about the characters in a Tarantino movie, I was pulling for the Josh Brolin character in No Country for Old Men. Also, True Grit is a pretty good Coen Brothers movie, about as good a western as you'll find nowadays. The Coen Brothers have that 'hip' avant-garde style, but there's always something more intelligent under the surface.

ofer

I would like to see one of Gaiman's books - possibly American Gods - directed by Terry Gilliam. The surrealism in the book could match his style quite well.

I would also like to see a fantasy movie directed by Danny Boyle for no reason other than that he's one of my favorite filmmakers. It would be interesting to see his version of Lies of Locke Lamora or maybe Best served Cold.

worldwar85

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
I feel like Sir Ridley Scott would be able to put together a good, gritty fantasy film. He has already sort of dabbled in it already (Robin Hood) and I think he would do well maybe leading something like the First Law.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I feel like Sir Ridley Scott would be able to put together a good, gritty fantasy film. He has already sort of dabbled in it already (Robin Hood) and I think he would do well maybe leading something like the First Law.
That's a great match-up! He's definitely great at producing action scenes and big battles. Remember the opening battle of the Gladiator? Awesome! I bet he'd do really well with First Law.