Who are the "right" people?

MattKnott

Knows the real name of Lower Corte
It's less about finding the right person and landing the most aligned because what the author wants may not lead to critical or financial success but may make them happier as it's more on point with their vision.

A passion for the source and a true understanding of themes are the most important elements. Creatives tend to think that they get the material more than others and that is totally true for the original medium. When it comes to shifting gears then the right people tend to go routes the author may not approve of but lead to success nonetheless.

Stephen King is an amazing example. He hates The Shining, but the movie is a superior piece of work to anything he could do in the sphere of moviemaking. He has some really bad ideas on that front and while fans may believe 100% 1-1 adaptations are the way forward it's just not feasible. Likewise with The Mist, the ending to the movie is perfect.

The Witcher is a fantastic example on the gaming front, the author isn't a fan but the Witcher 3 is arguably the best modern RPG yet made. It's all about having people who get the material on a thematic level.

On the flip side you have George R.R Martin and the HBO series. I'd say when you get down to it that works out really well because Martin was historically a TV writer. He understands what can and can't be done. When it comes to games, the first one based on ASoIAF was a poor effort.

wakarimasen

Journeyed there and back again
I somehow feel I'd prefer Danny Boyle for Best Served Cold / Red Country / Blade itself - more intimate style
Would feel happier putting the epic battles of Last Argument.. and The Heroes into Ridley's hands maybe.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Likewise with The Mist, the ending to the movie is perfect
Oh man, I absolutely loved that ending. I just saw the movie about a week ago. It had me cheering on the couch. My wife was less pleased though. She is more of a "and they lived happily ever after" person.

@MattKnott: now here's a question for you: hypothetically speaking, who'd you like to produce the movie of the Sane King? And who do you see in the leading roles? I know it's probably very difficult to answer, but I'm very very curious. :)

Derk of Derkholm

but all these years later and then we get Inglourious Basterds done with the same quirky/hip treatment. A send up of WWII genre movies, but this one has a background plot that concerns the Jewish Holocaust. I'm sorry, but there's just something inherently not quirky about the extermination of six million Jews.
I disagree on that one (have you seen the movie?)...

I have very strong feelings about the holocaust, but in my opinion this movie is not about that.

It is basically a (black) comedy about resistance to Nazi Germany, with a few Jewish characters (as resistance fighters). Yes, in the beginning of the movie, a Jewish family is murdered, mainly to establish how bad those Nazi villains were, but a family getting gunned down is about par for any Tarantino movie...

The Tarantino movie I liked best so far was "From Dusk Till Dawn", as it was basically taking the Tarantino-esque to the maximum... But to be true, I am not a big fan of his.

YordanZh

A Poet of the Khaiem
I don't know if GDT would be "right" for Lawrence's work. He'll portray the world in a great way, but the characters? GDP's antiheroes are usually sweet and nice (which feels almost line an oxymoron), while Lawrence's characters... I dunno.

Speaking from a writer's standpoint - the right people are those that I can trust will do it right. I can't even think about my work, messed up in another media, no matter the monetary incentive.

Darwin

I love all of the other Tarantino movies I've seen (Jackie Brown, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill 1/2), but Django and Inglourious Basterds were my favorites.

The very fact that the violence is aimed at Nazis is what allows the protagonists to be funny while committing violence. The protagonists can act like Jorg of Ancrath and we laugh out loud at their funny lines. Here's an example:
Sgt. Werner Rachtman: Fuck you.
[pause]
Sgt. Werner Rachtman: And your Jew dogs!
[the Basterds all laugh]
Lt. Aldo Raine: Actually, Werner, we're all tickled to hear you say that. Frankly, watchin' Donny beat Nazis to death is the closest we ever get to goin' to the movies.
[calling offscreen]
Lt. Aldo Raine: DONNY!
Sgt. Donny Donowitz: [from offscreen] Yeah?
Lt. Aldo Raine: We got a German here who wants to die for his country! Oblige him!

Similarly, in Django, there's scenes that you would not normally expect to see in a humorous movie: someone says the N-word every other minute, enormous cruelty is done to slaves before our eyes for the entertainment of their masters, etc. But it works, because Django kills a lot of despicable white guys after being freed, befriended, and trained to do that killing by an incredibly charismatic and compassionate white guy (ironically, the primary Nazi antagonist in Inglourious Basterds).

kenubrion

The only Tarantino movies I like are the two Kill Bill movies and I REALLY like those.

Zymologist

Has been in the eye of the world
Tarantino seems to try a bit too hard to be cool. I really liked Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, but I haven't really cared for his other movies that I've seen. I thought Kill Bill 1 & 2 were long and boring. Inglorious Basterds, too. Django was...alright, I guess, but I think it's overrated.

MattKnott

Tarantino seems to try a bit too hard to be cool. I really liked Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, but I haven't really cared for his other movies that I've seen. I thought Kill Bill 1 & 2 were long and boring. Inglorious Basterds, too. Django was...alright, I guess, but I think it's overrated.
I wasn't a fan of Inglorious Basterds, it tried too hard. Same with Django.

Mad Max is a very similar type of movie, pulpy, lean and invokes seventies exploitation but it is effortlessly cool when it does it. I loved Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, but they're very different types of movie to what he's attempting these days. I get what he's trying to do, he's just not very good at it. Unfortunately due to a dearth of actually great trashy movies they're considered top grade trash.

I agree on the fact Basterds doesn't diminish the suffering of victims, it's a genre attempt to hit the story from a different hyper pulp angle. I just wasn't that impressed by it.

@MattKnott: now here's a question for you: hypothetically speaking, who'd you like to produce the movie of the Sane King? And who do you see in the leading roles? I know it's probably very difficult to answer, but I'm very very curious.
That's a mad question haha. I actually saw Ray Stevenson as Rayle all the way through writing it. Dude just seemed to fit in my head. a tough as nails dude who looks raw and rough but has a lot going on behind the eyes.

This may just be my babbling but the Limb is a pretty rad creature I could see working as a monster movie. The concept could fit anywhere, It actually started out in an Urban Fantasy test short I wrote ages ago. It had a viking smashing people through bathroom stalls and finding out about nazi cultists invading Ireland via a ferry through cultists Facebook posts. Guy fought a roided up God-Rhino with nothing but an axe and a shotgun at the climax. It was a blast to write and I might polish it up someday because it's hilariously awful and fun.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I wasn't a fan of Inglorious Basterds, it tried too hard. Same with Django.

Mad Max is a very similar type of movie, pulpy, lean and invokes seventies exploitation but it is effortlessly cool when it does it. I loved Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, but they're very different types of movie to what he's attempting these days. I get what he's trying to do, he's just not very good at it. Unfortunately due to a dearth of actually great trashy movies they're considered top grade trash.

I agree on the fact Basterds doesn't diminish the suffering of victims, it's a genre attempt to hit the story from a different hyper pulp angle. I just wasn't that impressed by it.

That's a mad question haha. I actually saw Ray Stevenson as Rayle all the way through writing it. Dude just seemed to fit in my head. a tough as nails dude who looks raw and rough but has a lot going on behind the eyes.

This may just be my babbling but the Limb is a pretty rad creature I could see working as a monster movie. The concept could fit anywhere, It actually started out in an Urban Fantasy test short I wrote ages ago. It had a viking smashing people through bathroom stalls and finding out about nazi cultists invading Ireland via a ferry through cultists Facebook posts. Guy fought a roided up God-Rhino with nothing but an axe and a shotgun at the climax. It was a blast to write and I might polish it up someday because it's hilariously awful and fun.
You know what? I thought the same thing about the Limb. I kinda pictured it as the zombie horde from World War Z, but contrary to those zombies possessed of a hive mind. I liked the concept a lot.

What's the name of your Inkeeper again? I forgot and I'm too lazy to look it up. You know which actor I had in mind when reading about him? This guy:

http://m.imdb.com/name/nm0322407/?ref_=m_tt_cl_i13

Derk of Derkholm

I was a bit disappointed about the Django Unchained movie, as there was not a single machine gun anywhere (which was - by far - the best feature of the original movies:D)

Sparrow

I disagree on that one (have you seen the movie?)...

I have very strong feelings about the holocaust, but in my opinion this movie is not about that.

It is basically a (black) comedy about resistance to Nazi Germany, with a few Jewish characters (as resistance fighters). Yes, in the beginning of the movie, a Jewish family is murdered, mainly to establish how bad those Nazi villains were, but a family getting gunned down is about par for any Tarantino movie...
Tarantino turned Jewish-American soldiers into sociopaths by having them mimic Nazi atrocities. Not funny. Just unrestrained lame comic book violence.

"Christopher Hitchens likened the experience of watching the film to 'sitting in the dark having a great pot of warm piss emptied very slowly over your head'."
Sounds like Hitchens enjoyed the movie more than I did.:)

Derk of Derkholm

Darwin

I don't understand how you could think the characters in the film were "sociopaths ... mimic[ing] Nazi atrocities." Why? Because they wanted to kill Nazis and didn't give a damn about it? I'd hope there were a lot of people during WWII without any moral qualms with slaughtering Nazi soldiers. Killing Nazis during WWII is in no way ethically comparable to the Holocaust. How do you think the Holocaust ended, anyways? Nazi soldiers didn't just stop because they were tired of it.

Anti_Quated

Mad Max is a very similar type of movie, pulpy, lean and invokes seventies exploitation but it is effortlessly cool when it does it.
Yes. Just...yes.

Ray Stevenson is brilliant. First came across him in Outpost, then Rome (stunning, refulgent, and utterly intoxicating), a short spell in Dexter, and now he's Blackbeard for the next season of Black Sails. I could watch the guy ravenously lung down a sandwich and be entertained and enthralled.

Please write this. My reading material is wide and varied, but I am an unashamed Arnie fan, and this just fits that groove so damn well. I've been meaning to get back to The Sane King, but if you write this piece I'll read it first.

MattKnott

Please write this. My reading material is wide and varied, but I am an unashamed Arnie fan, and this just fits that groove so damn well. I've been meaning to get back to The Sane King, but if you write this piece I'll read it first.
Haha, it's already written and is pretty short. I'll actually spend tonight editing, tweaking and push it out for free then link you to it.

Sparrow

I don't understand how you could think the characters in the film were "sociopaths ... mimic[ing] Nazi atrocities." Why? Because they wanted to kill Nazis and didn't give a damn about it? I'd hope there were a lot of people during WWII without any moral qualms with slaughtering Nazi soldiers. Killing Nazis during WWII is in no way ethically comparable to the Holocaust. How do you think the Holocaust ended, anyways? Nazi soldiers didn't just stop because they were tired of it.

The Nazis were stopped because of guys like my dad; who were still in their teens when they joined the war, were given a nasty job to do, and did it.
My dad was a Second Pilot/Flight Engineer in the RAF, stationed in North Africa, for a time in Palestine (modern day Israel). He bombed factories, rail yards, and later cities in Austria and Germany. When the war ended and he was demobilized, returned to Glasgow without ceremony, and was back at work a few weeks later. Suffered a nervous breakdown, quit his job and left Scotland never to return. He aimlessly traveled the world, taking odd jobs, in and out of romantic relationships for over a decade before finally settling down in Toronto Canada... where he would someday meet my mom on a train... fall in love, and several years later immigrate to America a month before I was born in California.
Times that story by millions, the average decent guys who for three or four short years killed Nazis and the innocent people who were caught up in the war. Many German and Austrian citizens were as terrified of the Nazis as my dad was, and he was forced to kill them along with the enemy.
I only recall twice that my dad ever talked about the killing part of his job, and it was without bravado or pride. When a morally decent person takes someone's life, particularly a stranger's life during time of war, they have "moral qualms" that haunt them until the day they die.

Not only does Tarantino not know what war is, I seriously doubt the guy has ever even been in a fist fight.
He's a millionaire director making comic book movies for a generation of disengaged moviegoers who enjoy morally reprehensible violence.

ABatch

I don't know where else to put this question, so I'll give it a whirl here: speaking of "the right people," does anyone have an "in" with grimdark faction online? It's harder than hell to get their attention!