Why the hate on The Desert Spear?

Annomander Matt

Drinks Elfbark tea with FitzChivalry
I can understand why some people don't like this series but I enjoyed it. I like the world and the magic system. I agree with Renna being a terrible character but I can live with that. The overall story is pretty good IMO. I will definitely pick up the new one as soon as it comes out.
I liked it too and am looking forward to the 4th book. I guess I'm not the most critical of book fans lol
I like the world and whenever I get fully immersed into a series I want all of the back story I can get. I love flashbacks and prequels and novellas. So learning more about Innerva, while a little repetitive, was interesting to me. I'd say my biggest complaints were about Leesha's character arc and Arlen going a little "hick". Renna is annoying but I get the feeling her character will grow into a less annoying and more likable character by the end of the series. Or at least that's my hope... That she may be like a Malta.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I'm in the middle of this now. I don't like Arlen going hick, either.

I feel like the pace is very slow. I don't like the flashbacks to Inevera's past because I feel like we learned half that stuff in book 2 and the added perspective isn't really *adding* anything. Except a whole bunch of words with unnecessary apostrophes in the middle that I have to look up in the glossary (which annoys me). Also I just got through a flashback chapter that isn't so far in the past. For a moment, I wondered if there was a misprint in my book and I was reading something from book 2. I don't like all the stops along the road when Leesha is traveling back home. Only one or two of them matter. The same with all the carving of the dice. And the whole young-prodigy-outshines-everyone-else-in-school thing is pretty old, as far as fantasy goes.

I did read the last paragraph on the last page already. I want to see how that gets set up so I will keep reading. But this book seems interminably long. I would like to see an editor remove all the italicized words and cut about 200 pages and I think it would improve a lot. Concept is good. Story could be great with tighter writing.

David Sims

Warded demons with Arlen
Ok, I get the erotica complaint, I really do. I actually skipped over the sex and rape scenes and I could definitely see how that would put you off but I would guess all mentions of sex would be less than 0.5% of the book. I also thought it was funny that every time they mentioned Jardir's first wife( I'm horrible with names) they described her and how she looked under the translucent dress but once again I can't imagine that being more than 0.1% of the book. It comes down to whoever posted "sex is great in life but not in literature".
Sex in fiction can be done either well or poorly. It works in Richard Adams' Maia and in Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Legacy series.

On the other hand, it seems gratuitous in every book in Jean Auel's Earth's Children series, except the first one, Clan of the Cave Bear. Quite excessively gratuitous, in the later books.

Come to think of it, I don't think that I've ever seen sex done middlin' well in fiction. It's either masterfully integrated into the story with good taste and due attention to both the story plot and the characters' feelings, or it's rubbish included either because the author just likes writing about sex or because the author thinks that writing about sex is an easy way for her to pad her word-count.

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
I haven't read any of his books and I have been put off as I've heard on here the quality of his books goes down hill after the first one.

As @sopranosfan has pointed out everyone is not going to like his books, and we are a very small number of people.

It's hard to hear sometimes when people don't like something you have spent a lot of time on, but I would try not to take it heart and listen to any constructive criticism.
You're not missing anything Hand. I quit halfway through book 2.

Ryan W. Mueller

I loved the Warded Man. I liked The Desert Spear. I thought The Daylight War was okay. I started The Skull Throne and then gave up on it because I had to return it to the library. It was doing a lot of the same things that hindered my reading experience in books two and three.

wakarimasen

Yeah, struggling with Skull Throne. Know plenty of folk who gave up on it. Weirdly I turned a corner last night. The thickness of the pages to be read was suddenly no longer interminable and I feel better about where it's going. Could have done with a good few hundred pages edited out I reckon. Not any one section, just a little condensing...

MrMarbles

Fought a battle in the name of the old gods
I had problems with The Skull Throne, but loved The Desert Spear. Thought Jardir's story was as interesting as Arlens, and didn't mind the stuff that seems to both other people.

Ryan W. Mueller

I think my biggest issue with the last three books is the heavy focus on Krasia. I just don't like reading about those people. Jardir was okay, but then we had to read about Inevera, and in the fourth, we have to read about other people whose names I can't remember.

Darth Tater

Thanks for locating this post for me Tom!!

Here is my view FWIW

1. I think it is pretty cool that Brett was looking on this site and taking what Ben and forum members said to heart . Even though he disagreed or at the very least stated he wouldn't have changed a thing doesn't mean he won't in the future plus his formula nets him multi-millions so maybe from THAT standpoint he wouldn't change it. Not that it didn't hit home.

2. I give Brett tons of credit for honesty. Most athletes and writers say things like "I don't care what people say and also claim they never even check in the first place.He not only admitted he saw it (yeah, maybe he minimized by acting like it was a random hit but I've been a very active member on a quality sports forum set up like this ever since its inception in 2004 and NEVER not even once has an athlete admitted to seeing looking on there ) he also admitted it bothered him! Takes a big man to do that. He never argued the points made here either. (I will be commenting on an indie author in an appropriate thread who APPEARS to behave like a spoiled immature imbecile on a tirade).

3. No I'm not his momma in drag. I had heard his name mentioned before somewhere (the worst fantasy list?) Regardless, I never read his stuff even once so I'm not claiming or assuming in the least that it is not crap. My default when I have no knowledge of a book is always to go with what I read here.

fbones24

I have no problem with a fantasy author approaching sensitive topics through their writing. Muslims, Christians, Aliens, etc. have all been portrayed as evil or peaceful in speculative fiction. I like sex, rape and violence in stories I read. I don't like humor. This series just moved way up on my TBR list after reading through this thread.

How is his writing and characterization in these books?

Ryan W. Mueller

I have no problem with a fantasy author approaching sensitive topics through their writing. Muslims, Christians, Aliens, etc. have all been portrayed as evil or peaceful in speculative fiction. I like sex, rape and violence in stories I read. I don't like humor. This series just moved way up on my TBR list after reading through this thread.

How is his writing and characterization in these books?
I think characterization is his strongest point as a writer. I don't always like the characters, but they are usually well-drawn. My issue with books two and three is more some of the plot choices. I don't hate the books by any means, but I was a bit disappointed after The Warded Man was so good.