Will i enjoy Mistborn?

JohnG

A farm boy with a sword
Guys,

I started reading Fantasy again (having read as a child) about two years ago and now class myself as quite a keen reader of the genre. However i am rather fussy about what I like and have been disappointed by some series that have recieved great reviews.

I am looking for a new series to get my teeth into and have been thinking about starting Mistborn, having recently read 'Way Of Kings' by Sanderson and absolutely loved it. However i don't want to be disappointed and waste money/time on a series that isn't right for me.

Below is a list of what i have read in the previous two years and what i thought:

Wheel Of Time - Loved the first 4....gave up half way through 6 on both attempts, plan to give this series one final shot at some point.
Malazan (Erikson) - Loved all of them, favourite series so far
Malazan (Esslemont) - Loved but not as much as Erikson
Black Company - Enjoyed
Stormlight Archive - Loved, excited about Words Of Radiance but frustrated about starting an unfinished series
A Song Of Ice And Fire - As above
KingKiller Chronicles - Didn't enjoy
First Law - Didn't enjoy
Magician - Didn't enjoy
Farseer - Didn't enjoy
Prince Of Nothing - Enjoyed

Based on the above....is it worth me starting Mistborn? Or shall i go for something else? Such as Locke Lamora which i have also been eyeing for a while....

All suggestions welcome!

Hand of Fear

Journeyed there and back again
Hi JohnG,

You have read what is probably considered his best work in The Way of Kings, so you already have an idea of his writing style. If you are still not sure he has a Website where you can read some of the chapters from the Mistborn series. Maybe worth heading over there to have a better idea of what the book is about, I haven't read Mistborn yet but it's on my list. I have read Elantris which I loved, it's a standalone book so that maybe worth a look.

http://brandonsanderson.com/books/mistborn/the-final-empire/

Or shall i go for something else? Such as Locke Lamora which i have also been eyeing for a while....
I have read both of Scott Lynch books both highly enjoyable and full of adventure, and you want go wrong reading them.

B81

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
This is very hard to say. I loved Way of Kings but quit Mistborn some 150 pages into book one. Even if you liked other books by the author, there is still the chence you wont like this one.

em... library maybe?

Lies of Lock Lamore I disliked, but most people enjoyed it.

Antoxx

This is very hard to say. I loved Way of Kings but quit Mistborn some 150 pages into book one. Even if you liked other books by the author, there is still the chence you wont like this one.

em... library maybe?

Lies of Lock Lamore I disliked, but most people enjoyed it.
I loved Lies of Locke Lamora. Has a definite contemporary Sword and Sorcery feel about it though. Any reason you didn't like it?

fbones24

Guys,

I started reading Fantasy again (having read as a child) about two years ago and now class myself as quite a keen reader of the genre. However i am rather fussy about what I like and have been disappointed by some series that have recieved great reviews.

I am looking for a new series to get my teeth into and have been thinking about starting Mistborn, having recently read 'Way Of Kings' by Sanderson and absolutely loved it. However i don't want to be disappointed and waste money/time on a series that isn't right for me.

Below is a list of what i have read in the previous two years and what i thought:

Wheel Of Time - Loved the first 4....gave up half way through 6 on both attempts, plan to give this series one final shot at some point.
Malazan (Erikson) - Loved all of them, favourite series so far
Malazan (Esslemont) - Loved but not as much as Erikson
Black Company - Enjoyed
Stormlight Archive - Loved, excited about Words Of Radiance but frustrated about starting an unfinished series
A Song Of Ice And Fire - As above
KingKiller Chronicles - Didn't enjoy
First Law - Didn't enjoy
Magician - Didn't enjoy
Farseer - Didn't enjoy
Prince Of Nothing - Enjoyed

Based on the above....is it worth me starting Mistborn? Or shall i go for something else? Such as Locke Lamora which i have also been eyeing for a while....

All suggestions welcome!
Aside from disagreeing with you on FArseer, it seems we have the same tastes. I didn't think I would like Farseer, but it caught me and I really got attached.

I'll be following as I have not read Mistborn yet.

B81

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
I loved Lies of Locke Lamora. Has a definite contemporary Sword and Sorcery feel about it though. Any reason you didn't like it?
Its been a while...
I know I've liked the beginin when he was a child. Then, when his coup's started I just felt no interest in this kind of stories. The main character also seemed like a know-it-all.
In the end, the book didnt catch my interest and I tend to quit fast when this happens.

Antoxx

Its been a while...
I know I've liked the beginin when he was a child. Then, when his coup's started I just felt no interest in this kind of stories. The main character also seemed like a know-it-all.
In the end, the book didnt catch my interest and I tend to quit fast when this happens.
Fair enough, was wondering if it was something like that. Didn't think it'd be his world building which I think is very good or his writing style which, likewise, is very crisp.

Amaryllis

Does the idea of Oceans 11, except in a fantasy world and with magic, interest you?

Based on your list, I'd say you probably wouldn't enjoy Mistborn very much, but Wheel of Time is really throwing off my ability to make a good guess there. I'd still say probably not though.

moonspawn

You'll enjoy Mistborn. There's no doubt about it. I feel like I've wasted my time with a number of fantasy books recently so you just fucking read it and see what the big deal is. If you don't enjoy the first book nobodies putting a goddamn gun to your head saying you must read the whole thing.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I will say something controversial now: If you read it, you will find out?

Srsly, I usually know in first 50 pages of a book whether or not I will enjoy it. I think that is enough of the material to figure it out.
And it takes what? Hour and a half to read that? Maybe even less for you. So just read, and figure it out? Idk man...asking a bunch of strangers online to tell you whether you will like something is not so productive as reading it and figuring out for yourself.

If you don't want to waste money go to library.

Recommendations are something else though because you are relying on the larger reading experience of someone who has a similar reading taste as you. But even that is a hit and miss.

Best you can do is try things out for yourself.