Wolf of the Plains, by Conn Iggulden

Mohammed Al Mulla

Owns a Ring of Power
To be honest, this was my first experience with Conn Iggulden books, and I did not know what to expect.. I love Genghis Khan and the stories of his upcoming, and that was my motive to start reading this novel.. and I was shocked by the amount of details that Conn is putting into his books and events.. He has an awesome writing style and he can drag the reader into his realm.. The delimmas the twists are just amazing and fitting, keeping in mind that lots of Genghis Khan history are lost and the myths around him are more than the facts.. however, Conn was able to gather the facts.. blend it with the half facts and then add a twist of imagenations and fantasy into it to create a wonder story to read... I am so excited about the book that I already got the 2nd book (Lords of the Bow)

However, in the middest of his excitement, Mr. Conn made some minor errors throughout the novel, which does not spoil the story itself. Some of these errors are:

1) Conn ought to work on focusing on his characters conversations, as many seemed to astry from the topic... For example, when Temuge falls from the horse, he tells his siblings that he had dreamed of an eagle.. Then he says that he saw an actual eagle... Then he says that it was Yesterday! And none of his brothers asked him about the meaning of this contradiction!!
2) Temujin catches 2 eagles to present them to his father.. Kept them inside his shirt for a very very very long time... He climbs down a mountain.. Rides a horse.. Has an argument with his father's worriors.... My question is.... What void does he have inside his shirt that can contain 2 eagles.. Keep them still and quiet for all that time??? I need a place like that !??
3) when Temujin and his father reached the Gers of the Olkhun'ut, the later asks his brother in law whether he had found a wife to his son and he answers that the selected girl is yet to reach in age... My question is.. How did he know that he is to search a wife for Timujin??? No ahead messengers.. No pigeons.. No smoke signals.. No landline, mobiles or emails.. How did those people communicate? Were they telepathic or something????? Something is fishy here or missing
4) ‎The time scale is not matching, since by the events, the reader would think that Timujin has spent weeks in the families gers, whereas his father was attacked immediately after leaving the village, and needed a couple of days to reach his village.. As the distance is 2 days riding..
5) ‎While Temujin was hiding from Tolui in a hole, he vowed to himself that he won't allow them to catch him... AGAIN!??, well, when was the first time he wad caught??? I am pretty sure that it did not happen within the chapters that i read... Hmmmm weird indeed
6) ‎the Mongol tribes are used to move from one location to another along with their camp.. Surely the gers and tents won't be arranged every single time in the exact same manner.. It is not like they had a land plot or a mapped distribution of tents.. Yet, after moving half the way across Magnolia, and settled go join the Kerait tribe, Hoelun was walking among the gers of her tribe, the Olkhun'ut, which she did not visit for decades.. Yet, she claimed that she can find her Brother's ger "if it is where it used to be".. Sooo.. How does the Gers system work again??

Still, the book is still great.. and its events are just so exciting to read and so are the 3D Characters... worth the read

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Nice review Mo. And astute observations! I remember having the same qualms with the book. Still an awesome adventurous tale though! I can really recommend the next installments in the series. The major gripe I had with these books was the inclusion of magic. Okay, I get that back then they believed in magic, but it seems to actually have a physical effect on the world in the latter books, which is just ridiculous in my eyes.

Mohammed Al Mulla

Owns a Ring of Power
Okay, I get that back then they believed in magic, but it seems to actually have a physical effect on the world in the latter books, which is just ridiculous in my eyes.
Is that so? Well, i just started the 2nd book and things are going smoothly realistically so far.. to be honest, I am not sure how to accept magic in a True Story based novel, basically because as per my religion, we acknowledge the existence of magic.. and its impact on people’s life, however, that believe does not go to the fictional stories going based on magic, such as Aladin’s Magic Lamp Jinni or the other magical stuffs.. so I need to evaluate this “magic” when I come across it.. if it comes within our acknowledged level, that would be very interesting.. if it went to the extreme of having skies raining gold and armies being destroyed by thunders from the heaven.. then that would turn the story to a total crap

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Is that so? Well, i just started the 2nd book and things are going smoothly realistically so far.. to be honest, I am not sure how to accept magic in a True Story based novel, basically because as per my religion, we acknowledge the existence of magic.. and its impact on people’s life, however, that believe does not go to the fictional stories going based on magic, such as Aladin’s Magic Lamp Jinni or the other magical stuffs.. so I need to evaluate this “magic” when I come across it.. if it comes within our acknowledged level, that would be very interesting.. if it went to the extreme of having skies raining gold and armies being destroyed by thunders from the heaven.. then that would turn the story to a total crap
I see. I meant no disrespect to anyone believing in the existence of magic of course. Let's see, it is not magic like the way you describe (fire from heaven and all that), but more like prophecies and curses that come true and some smaller scale magic.

Mohammed Al Mulla

Owns a Ring of Power
I meant no disrespect to anyone believing in the existence of magic of course
ha ha.. Did i ever mentioned that I love you guys all?? I never took it as on offence nor did you mentioned any offensive stuffs ^^ but I came to my first 2 enounters with "Magic" which both proof that the shaman would make a fortune out of being a fraud in the present day.. or a successful credit card or insurance seller XD

Darth Tater

Journeyed there and back again
I see. I meant no disrespect to anyone believing in the existence of magic of course. Let's see, it is not magic like the way you describe (fire from heaven and all that), but more like prophecies and curses that come true and some smaller scale magic.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Silviano, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. ;)