WoR - Part Five

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
and we're done. Please remember to give a rating out of 5 so we all contribute to the group books club review, thanks!

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
First thought: oh wow!

Second thought: damn what a great book. I think it is a worthy sequel.

I liked Shallan in this book, which is something I did not expect. There was a few moments where I cringed a bit because I thought the writing was off.

To me it is another masterpiece.

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
Good god.
WHAT a book! Amazing...just simply amazing...This is going to be a long long ten books in the making, but if they're even a tenth as good as this book is...then we are in for a treat.

The buildup,climax,execution,revelation..all of it was simply perfect. He's outdone himself.

4.8/5 imho, is what this book deserves.

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
One of the things I enjoyed the most in this book, is the characterization of the more important characters in Bridge Four. I especially LOVE Lopen. He is is portrayed as this crazy one-armed Herdazian who doesnt give a flying rats ass about where he is and what he's doing. He always seem to be having fun.

But at several points in the book we get to glimpse behind Lopens actions. Like when they are testing Kaladins abilities and Lopen is the only one aside from Sigzil who is counting, or in the end, where we see that Lopen practices drawing Stormlight every day. There is a lot more to Lopen than meets the eyes, and I hope he becomes a bigger character now.
Plus, the bit about "a crazy Herdazian wanting to be put on the charter of Kings" in the end was brilliant. Lopen is brilliant and underrated.

On the downside, Moash fucked up. I really liked him and we knew all along what would happen, but I still hoped to the bitter end that he would change his mind. He is what Kaladin could have become.

I have a lot of thoughts on the book, I'm just waiting for more guys to pitch in.

Oh yeah. I was a bit disappointed regarding Renarin. He didnt really matter for the overall story. Could have easily kept him out of the book, but he will probably have a book later in the series.

The next book is so far titled "Skybreaker" and will feature Setzh-son-naturo.

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
I actually wanted more chapters with Lift in them....Edgedancing sounds very intriguing and her ability to produce Stormlight is quite radical compared to the normal Radiants storming around :p.

And the other guy, Ym..definitely using a Progression Surge, I'm pretty sure we havent seen the last of him.

Now that I've calmed down a bit, here my two cents:

Pros:
  • Brilliant characterization, flow and execution.
    The part when he killed of Jasnah was a total o_O moment for me...I did NOT see that one coming for miles. But still she's apparently alive in the end so I suppose its ok.
  • There are some truly epic fighting sequences
  • The drawings,sketches and other visual material is fucking epic(It's one thing to visualize, its another to be able to actually see it)
  • Brilliant ending.
  • The POV switches are expertly done, usually I abhor them, but Sanderson somehow manages to make even random people interesting.
  • Some really eye-opening revelations(Shardblades especially).
Cons
  • As @Laurentius said, Renarin is just a wet rag throughout..Half the book he's a wimp, the other half, he's a shardblade carrying wimp. And at the end, voila!. Deus Ex Machina anybody ? Although this being Sanderson, its more than likely I will be eating my words when the next book comes out :D.

Thats pretty much all I can think of at the moment, which just goes to show how well this book has been written...This one is gonna win some awards for sure.

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also, what will happen with the Shard of Honor that Kaladin wins from Szeth?

1. He will use it himself and discover it enhances every ability, or something with Syl and the blade perhaps.
2. He will give it to Adolin Kholin. A windrunner needs a partner! Kaladin + Adolin. Yowzah!

Also, I cant wait to meet Lopens spren. It's gonna be EPIC!

And what can an Oathbinder do?
Will the insane Herald become sane again and pick up his Shardblade?

The one thing I disliked was in the end when Syl goes "Oh yeah, you want me to be a spear right?". I cringed so hard. Did not think that piece fit into an epic battle we've waited 1k pages to read.

Griffin

Journeyed there and back again
I liked Shallan in this book, which is something I did not expect.
Me neither, but Shallan really turned around. By the end of the book I sometimes liked her better than Kaldin (what with blaming himself for everything everytime).

The next book is so far titled "Skybreaker" and will feature Setzh-son-naturo.
Yes, with hopefully a bigger exposition of the Shinovar culture. Also looking forward to his character development since he know realizes he didn't have to kill all those people. I'm a bit dubious about the Herald of Justice. I've got the feeling the Justice is going to be absolute. To black/white-ish... But we'll have to see.

I actually wanted more chapters with Lift in them....Edgedancing sounds very intriguing and her ability to produce Stormlight is quite radical compared to the normal Radiants storming around .
She's awesome! I really like the relationship with her spren. And who is Darkness? As a constable he has a wicked sense of justice, but he's also more than a constable...

And the other guy, Ym..definitely using a Progression Surge, I'm pretty sure we havent seen the last of him.
Didn't they murder Ym at the end of his chapter?

Renarin. There was going to be something with the guy, since Sanderson kept mentioning the fact that he no longer wore his spectacles. I'm curious as to what kind of character he is and what kind of spren he has.

Dalinar. The Stormfather as his spren, though with limitations? Really looking forward to this.

Urithiru. Sanderson surprisingly said not much at all about the city of Radiants now, did he? Purposely, no doubt...

The Everstorm. The highstorm going to wrong way (or was that the everstorm?), that's going to be disasterious...

All in all, I think Words of Radiance surpasses WoK on all fronts. 'nuff said.

Last edited:

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
4.85/5 indeed! fucking EPIC!

I have to go now, It's all I can say as my bf needs his gf back. I have been ignoring him for like three days while I smashed though it. Please keeps the comments coming!

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
Renarin is just a wet rag throughout..
This is a really interesting point, i didn't see him as a wet rag just as a super confused kid. I can totally understand it though, he can see all around him that everyone glorifies warriors and you can't be one, well that would totally get you down wouldn't it? I was confused because Kaladin at one point says he must talk more about his seizures with him and something is off, but then it doesn't matter coz he is all BAM!
Radiant seer dude. It is also driving me mad that I don't even know what he can dO! i feel like I learnt so much about the Radiants and their abilities only to thrown a curveball on like the last page of the last chapter /grumpy

This book is sensational, I have never read anything like it and has totally cemented my absolute random of Sanderson. I will not ever reread Mistborn because how can it compare? I remember is =t being good but no where near this!

I agree with what everyone has said before me. Shallan was the star of this book and she totally rocked it! Kaladin was of course awesome with an annoying whinging part in the middle (why it doesn't get 5/5 stars). Dalinar was pretty cool, I liked he was so level headed.

best parts of the books: Really feeling apart of Bridge Four. I so love those guys!
Plus, the bit about "a crazy Herdazian wanting to be put on the charter of Kings" in the end was brilliant. Lopen is brilliant and underrated.
wouldn't say underrated, he was my fav!! than comes Rock ... you 'airsick lowlanders' or whatever he says

Worst part: Kaldin's whinny parts of the book

I am still in awe, it was an awesome book and I can't even begin to describe how I want one every year ... I think I can be patient enough to wait 2 years but after that I will probably have some serious withdrawal issues, especially as The Demon Wars and Locke isn't going so crash hot. Hopefully Rolfuss will blow us away with his next book and I will have something awesome to read in between waiting for Sanderson.

Totally agree with the 4.85/5!!!!!

TCSimpson

Might as well be a Malazan regular
Amazing, amazing book. 5/5 for me. Enjoyed every moment. Even the whiny Kaladin. I always enjoy watching character grow. The ending was just AMAZING. I need to read it again. "I have some glowing to do." made me cackle.

Antoxx

Awesome book. Was early in the book that i thought to myself "I'm actually looking forward to the Shallan storylines more than Kaladin". This wasn't the case in WoK, partly be ause Kaladin was out if this world great in WoK and wasn't as good this ti e round and partly because Shallan was so cool this time round.

I enjoyed the interludes a lot. My favourite was Lhan (or more accurately Pai). Only 6 pages, but they packed a decent punch. I also enjoyed the Lift interlude for a bit of humour.

Favourite other characters were Lopen and Rock. Adolin improved over the book and Moash might become a favourite. Enjoyed portrayal of Taravangian as well. As per @Laurentius Renalar was probably the worst character for me.

Least favourable part of the book were
characters who came back to life. Would prefer dead characters to remain dead, else it robs the impact of death going forward.

All up, a really enjoyable book that packs a Stormlight infused punch. 4.25 out of 5 from me.

Last edited:

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
ok what do we think about the
Herald of War returned
? And why didn't Dalinar take more interest? Shouldn't he have noticed what the guy was saying and how accurate he was?

Thanks Antoxx!

TCSimpson

Might as well be a Malazan regular
ok what do we think about the
Herald of War returned
? And why didn't Dalinar take more interest? Shouldn't he have noticed what the guy was saying and how accurate he was?

Thanks Antoxx!
That did bother me a little. Obviously Dalinar knew of him, considering the reveal with the Blade and the other guy. Dalinar's man MUST have reported what the guy was saying, or even the ardents. I don't see how they couldn't have, and how Dalinar wouldn't have looked for answers, questioned the guy regularly. And yet, when you think on it, what would Dalinar have done? People already thought he was mad. Presenting a man who seemed so obviously insane would only worsen his position. What is more of an issue for me is that he left that person relatively unprotected. As fervent as he was in his beliefs, why would he do this? Even if he couldn't present that person for fear of becoming even more of a laughing stock, (which he eventually showed was a nonissue) why not protect him better? Fear of the discovery? He could have always passed it off as wanting to know how this person had possessed what he did. Although I gave the book a 5 for the sheer enjoyment of it, this issue right here was a lack of logic when tied into everything else.

Last edited:

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
yeah i agree, I bet if we asked Sanderson he would be like blah blah and rattle off a million reasons why but it just seems so odd when everything else is flawless or close to and this seems weird.

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
IIRC, I dont think he was speaking Alethi, or even if Talenel'Elin was speaking it, it was an unknown/ancient dialect. Plus there was the whole "muttering like a madman" thing :p

Khartun

I loved the book. I really like all the interludes, especially Lift.

I agree with everyone above though about Renarin. I don't like what happened with him at the end.

I loved that Adolin took out Sadeas. A fitting end for that asshat.

I'm not sure what to think about Jasnah. I would have preferred her to have stayed dead. I do love Wit though.

Oh, and what's up with Elokhar seeing cryptics and how did Kal scare them away?

Last edited:

Hameed Catel

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
OMG! OMG! OMG! .... :woot::woot: I totally called the whole Shardblade thing :woot::joyful:. I'M SUCH A GENIUS!!! :smug:

The book was super epic :D. I loved every minute of it.

Jasnah coming back honestly didn't surprise me. She was too much like Moiraine Damodred from wheel of time... and by that i mean too much of a badass. The humans are going to need a bad ass who's always in control and just knows shit if they want to stand any chance of winning. I always knew she was always going to come back, i just didn't know it would be so soon.. i expected it to happen in like book 5 or something.

Also Lopen IS SOOOOO FRIGGIN HILARIOUS hahahahaha :hilarious: ... right now he's hands down my favourite character in the series. No doubt about it... after him then Lift.

I mean the guy finds out he can invest stormlight and the first thing he says is "Cousin, come here and let me stick you to the wall" hahahahaha :hilarious:... that's just too much.

You know i have to say i think sanderson is actually quite good at comedy, i don't see why some hate his comedy. I personally like it.

So about Renarin, something tells me he's going to annoy me constantly as we progress in the book. I can just tell he's one of those characters that's going to know something super important but not tell anyone till it's like almost too late because he's scared or shy or some silly excuse like that.

Hameed Catel

I loved that Adolin took out Sadeas. A fitting end for that asshat.
I totally agree with you on that, that Sadeas needed to die badly... when i heard he was also going to Urithiru and Dalinar was just gonna let him come in... I was all like OMG this is total B.S. someone needs to kill this guy. Why would anyone in their right mind keep him around just to make life harder.

Now all that remains is for someone else to kill his wife before she becomes a danger too... if they don't i promise you they will regret it. Sadeas's wife needs to die, she needs to die big time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hameed Catel

Yes, with hopefully a bigger exposition of the Shinovar culture. Also looking forward to his character development since he know realizes he didn't have to kill all those people. I'm a bit dubious about the Herald of Justice. I've got the feeling the Justice is going to be absolute. To black/white-ish... But we'll have to see.

Didn't they mutter Ym at the end of his chapter?
Sorry bro this first question is for you
Okay first, what is Ym, is there something i'm missing here, cause i don't remember seeing that.

These questions are for anyone that can answer
What do you guys think Szeth is going to be doing with the herald of justice? Cause i honestly don't understand Sanderson's plans... is Szeth going to be flying around and killing humans that have done wrong (like that darkness guy) while the humans are fighting void bringers... cause it makes no sense to me, seems like a perfectly great waste of an awesome weapon. And if he is going to be doing so.. then i think Szeth might hunt down Adolin for killing Sadeas.. which would totally piss me off.

Also i still don't believe that the parshmen are the true void bringers... call me crazy but i think there's something more to it.

And the guy in the black and silver attire that wakes Szeth up, i remember that i read about him randomly here and there, but i can't pin point him right now. Where else did he appear in the book apart from that scene with Szeth?

Griffin

Sorry bro this first question is for you
Okay first, what is Ym, is there something i'm missing here, cause i don't remember seeing that.
That was a typo. It should have said
didn't they murder Ym at the end of the chapter
Ym was a character in one of the interludes ;-)