WoR - Part One

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
includes the interludes. Go for it boys and girls. Now the spoiler button is on the tool bar please use it!

Griffin

Journeyed there and back again
I really like it, not entirely surprising of course, but small things like the slow pacing of Kaladin's story in the previous book aren't recurring, in fact the pacing stepped up. Another thing, it seems like Kaladin, Shallan and Dalinar have refound their self-confidence and to me, it's a turn for the better (although I realize the characters needed to go through this). Sanderson seems to drop a lot of hints and explanations to things that were unclear in WoK and they don't feel like infodumps because he's found believable ways to introduce them to the story: Jasnah's a scholar, Dalinar's visions/dreams/flashbacks.
The Interludes are amazing as well. I really like the fact we get a Parshendi POV which immediately humanizes them and reveals a rich, still mostly hidding, society in a desperate attempt for survival in a harsh world and a dispute(?) with their gods. The interactions between Kaladin en Syl, Shallan and Pattern and the Ym-interlude feel like a massive buildup for a return of the old 'magic' of the Knight Radiant to Roshar. The Ym-interlude was superbly done, a colorful character that felt like its own short story (which Sanderson actually states in an article on Tor is the way to look at these interludes). Last, the Rysn-interlude. I just LOVED that the island was on the back on an enormous creature, it reminds me of Asian folklore. The character of Rysn I feel I need to warm to, I got the feeling Brandon goes through the same old playbook for his female playbook: the need to prove themselves, terrible unsure of themselves, still tough bolts to crack.

All in all, I really enjoying the read and I'm eagerly moving on.

Sir Arthur

So far so good. This book is really hard to put down. Kaladin's story is getting very exciting, and I was surprised
by the death of a major character
. It's great to get to know more about the spren and where they come from. The end of part one left me wanting more. How bad do you want to see
Kaladin kill Amaram, and take his shard blade?
The interludes have been fantastic! The Parshendi POV was needed, and well timed. The Ym interlude was a nice little hint of things to come, and also a display as to how quickly Sanderson can develop a character. I agree with @Griffin Vanderschaeghe, the Rysn interlude was fun. The island creature is about as fantasy as you get, I loved it.
I also agree that his female characters are too much like Robert Jordan's, weak and timid, and feeling a need to prove themselves. Jasnah even reminds me of Moiraine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Griffin

How bad do you want to see Kaladin kill Amaram, and take his shard blade?
This.

It's great to get to know more about the spren and where they come from.
And they seem to play an essential roll, I found the spren/Syl to be a curiosity in WoK, but now it's clear they actually have a vital place in the story.

Khartun

How bad do you want to see Kaladin kill Amaram, and take his shard blade?
Things are getting good in a hurry. The Kaladin, Amaram and Dalinar situation is gonna be a fun ride. Did not see this coming:
Killing off Jasnah that early in the book. A little GRRMish. I was thinking maybe she isn't really dead and somehow her powers saved her until the blurb from Navani's Journal.

Antoxx

Things are getting good in a hurry. The Kaladin, Amaram and Dalinar situation is gonna be a fun ride. Did not see this coming:
Killing off Jasnah that early in the book. A little GRRMish. I was thinking maybe she isn't really dead and somehow her powers saved her until the blurb from Navani's Journal.
Yeah, thinking the same thing, although keep alternating between she definitely is to she isn't. Took me a little wee while to get back into it and was wondering whether this was going to live up to the standards of WoK but starting to think it definitely will do.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
Ok so I have finished Part One. totally gobsmacked by the
death of Jasnah. Was out of now where, I think she is dead, but i'm hoping not. I also think it was a little GRRMish and might be unnecessary, they were already up agaisnt something I doubted they could win and to kill her so soon, it just all now seems kind of impossible.

I feel this 'it is already an impossible task, why make it worse' for a fair few plot points
the introduction of Amaaram for an example and the countdown , 60 days???
. How are they going to do any in 60 days? I hope that doesn't mean the book will crawl slowly through the days.

And they seem to play an essential roll, I found the spren/Syl to be a curiosity in WoK, but now it's clear they actually have a vital place in the story.
Totally! this is one of my favourite things about this book!

On the female thing, about them having to 'prove themselves' I agree that is exists and while i like that women are the 'academic ones' it still is a gender based roll. I really like that two out of the three main characters are female tho!
On another note, whats up with the covering the hand thing, I remember it was in the last book and I think it was a modesty thing. Still so weird to me, I think it was unnecessary if the intention was to show the reader ooh look a society so different to our own. I think most fantasy readers expect that is will be different, but having that as part of it takes me out of the story.

Next thing I wanted to talk about was that
Pattern always mutters/mumbles grunts, whatever he does, I am hoping he develops into a character like Sly has

I am liking it for sure, just not loving the odds being continually staked against them.

Also, I can't remember a single interlude :O

OH! and can we please use spoiler tags, we can't assume people see and it's so easy now to use, so please be safer than sorry. This is such a huge release I don't want to ruin it for people. If you aren't aware the button to the right of the media button and left of the save button, press on it and select spoiler or [s p o i l e r] without spaces at the start and [ / s p o i l e r] at the end

Griffin

On another note, whats up with the covering the hand thing, I remember it was in the last book and I think it was a modesty thing. Still so weird to me, I think it was unnecessary if the intention was to show the reader ooh look a society so different to our own. I think most fantasy readers expect that is will be different, but having that as part of it takes me out of the story.
I questioned this in part two. I wrote: "Also, I hope Brandon comes up with a believable argument for the whole safehand-thing. Cultural differences are normal, so this could be normal in the Vorin-part of Roshar, but there always has to be a reason, and for now, he hasn't given one. Unless that came up in WoK and I already forgot."
I think even the modesty thing should be explained. Also, why that hand, not the other?

I hope that doesn't mean the book will crawl slowly through the days.
Don't worry! Story doesn't crawl at all! (And I'm just read part four, thus almost at the end.) I agree with you that this countdown isn't that good storytelling. Luckily this doesn't get to much attention.

Also, I can't remember a single interlude :O
Really? I just love these interludes. I secretly hope that several of the characters in these interludes become regular characters, because ten gargantuan books with mainly the three/four main characters Kaladin, Shallan, Adolin and Dalinar (I fear/feel Dalinar will be killed off somewhere halfway), although great characters, is going to be a bit much.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
HAHA! I flipped to the next page and saw the interludes! I always tend to rush through a book club book and that doesn't tend to help discussion of the book so I made myself stop when I saw end of Part One. I totally agree with you on the interludes, they were awesome! SO SO SO SO SO much better than the last books, they really are self contained stories.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
oh it reminded my of WoW the latest expansion had a population living on the back of a turtle. With turtles being my favourite animal I thought that was awesome!

Sir Arthur

oh it reminded my of WoW the latest expansion had a population living on the back of a turtle. With turtles being my favourite animal I thought that was awesome!
I haven't seen it, but I've pretty much only done PvP this expansion. I should fly around and explore, and perhaps kill a few questing alliance players while I'm at it.;)

Hameed Catel

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
Okay honestly i have one MAJOR complaint about part 1 of WoR and that is the fact that Sanderson keeps alternating between Kaladin's story and Shallan's...... Arrghhh!!! Everytime that happens i get super angry and I'm like I don't really care about Shallan right now... i swear so many times i've wanted to just throw the book down and burn it out of pure fustration... When Amaram arrived and Kaladin went to go and check and then suddenly it ended I actually threw my book at the wall.... and didn't pick it up again for two days loool

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
you didn't pick it up for two days? How did you manage that?? the will power!! you could have kept reading and found out what happens!

Hameed Catel

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
hahaha loool yeah i forgot to mention that after i dashed it against the wall, i picked it back up and skipped straight to the next Kaladin chapter.... then i realised sanderson was just going to drag things out and decided to give the book a rest... i was becoming too involved lol