WORLD CUP THREAD !!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thought I'd set up a thread for anyone with any interest whatsoever in the 2014 Football World Cup due to start in around a week's time, in Brazil. Any opinions, wagers, predictions welcome :) ...

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, I'll start ... I recon Germany will win it, but I also think England will do a lot better than they're expected to, possibly reaching the last 4. I've drawn Chile in my work's sweepstake - that's £2.50 down the pan!

sopranosfan

Journeyed there and back again
I am a big Chicago Bears fan.......oh, wrong football.:facepalm: Considering the US probably won't win while I am alive I will pull for Germany because I am a 1/4 German, my grandmother still spoke with a German accent.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
As good a reason as any! When England (normally) inevitably get dumped out in the early stages, I always root for Holland, given I'm 1/4 Dutch on my mum's side (although I've never been there, despite it only being a couple hours away)

Griffin

I'll cheer for the Red Devils (Belgium) and will be happy when they make it to the second round. Next to that, I'll cheer for Brazil, I love them since the World Cup of 1998 with their legendary team (Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Taffarel, Roberto Carlos, Emerson), but in the end I think the Germans will win!

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I'll cheer for the homeland (USA) but we're not capable of performing on the world stage in this sport. My backup team is Holland, like @TomTheBeliever as my heritage is dutch. I'm actually only 2nd gen American and half dutch (dad's side, he's full dutch). My mom is irish/german but every other asshole in the US claims irish heritage and is weirdly proud of it so I identify more with the Netherlands than Ireland or Germany.

I have a 60 inch TV in my office at work, so I guess that'll be streaming world cup games for the next month. :D

sopranosfan

I'll cheer for the homeland (USA) but we're not capable of performing on the world stage in this sport. My backup team is Holland, like @TomTheBeliever as my heritage is dutch. I'm actually only 2nd gen American and half dutch (dad's side, he's full dutch). My mom is irish/german but every other asshole in the US claims irish heritage and is weirdly proud of it so I identify more with the Netherlands than Ireland or Germany.

I have a 60 inch TV in my office at work, so I guess that'll be streaming world cup games for the next month. :D
Thats because the Irish had 10-20 kids a piece. Catholicism and a love for alcohol leads to a lot of babies. BTW my grandmother's maiden name was Costello so either I have some Irish in me or somebody in family wanted to be Irish bad enough to change their last name. So I can also talk about our drunken heritage. But I definitely Identify with the German side more.

Sir Arthur

every other asshole in the US claims irish heritage and is weirdly proud of it
What's weird about being proud of irish heritage? I grew up in Boston, Ma., half the people I knew there had Irish surnames, I'd bet their heritage was more than just a "claim". Lots of Irish came to the U.S. in the late 19th and early 20th century. Lannon on my own mothers side, Both of her parents are from Ireland, in fact 3 of my 4 grandparents migrated from Ireland, the other from Scotland. Both are great places with rich history, and I'm proud to say my family is from both of them.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm 3/4 English and a 1/4 Dutch. My wife is 3/4 Scottish, 1/8 English and 1/8 Irish. Not sure what that will make my little'un, but we're calling it Mongrel.

Sir Arthur

we're calling it Mongrel
LoL, same in my house, my wife is 50/50 German and Italian. At some point it becomes too muck to keep track of.

There's a town just north of where I live where every one is quite proud of their Dutch heritage. I worked there for a while, everyone is a Van Something, or Vanderthat. My coworkers told me most of them won't allow their children to marry outside Dutch bloodlines. I thought it was silly, because after all, they're not really Dutch at this point. We may have stumbled upon their reasoning, it makes it easier to explain their heritage to their children.:hilarious:

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
What's weird about being proud of irish heritage? I grew up in Boston, Ma., half the people I knew there had Irish surnames, I'd bet their heritage was more than just a "claim". Lots of Irish came to the U.S. in the late 19th and early 20th century. Lannon on my own mothers side, Both of her parents are from Ireland, in fact 3 of my 4 grandparents migrated from Ireland, the other from Scotland. Both are great places with rich history, and I'm proud to say my family is from both of them.
Weird as in irrational, not weird as in strange. There are huge amounts of people, for instance, that are in love with Notre Dame university just because they are irish. They have nobody in their family that ever went to the school, but the mascot is the "Fighting Irish" so people gobble that shitheap school up. Notre Dame sucks.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Seeing as it's all about the FEBs, those answers are all entirely accurate. Why would that be for US people?