WORLD CUP THREAD !!

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Unfortunately we'll probably have a piss boring game this afternoon and see a 1-0 score or see the game go to PKs.
1-0 can still be an interesting game. It's not about scoring obscene amounts of goals, it's about dying on the field. At least for me. I rather be watching an epic fight on both sides with low score, than that travesty last night. That's the beauty of football imo.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unfortunately we'll probably have a piss boring game this afternoon
I fully expect the Argies to put in a fantastic performance tonight, and wipe the floor with Holland. Argentina have been getting progressively better, whilst Holland haven't exactly set the world on fire after their demolition of Spain in the first game. Hope I'm wrong though, would love to see Holland in the final!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1-0 can still be an interesting game. It's not about scoring obscene amounts of goals
Of course you're right, but EIGHT GOALS guarantees an interesting game! Last night's demolition of Brazil will go down in the history books for sure!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hell yeah it was interesting ... Haven't stopped talking about it all day to all my colleagues. Completely get what you're saying though .. 0-0 draws can sometimes be great games, but then again, sometimes they can be completely coma-inducing!

Boreas

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
I will say I got a sick sense of amusement when they kept showing the fans crying in the stands.
Same!

And to add insult to injury, towards the end of the second half, when Germany had possession, the Brazilian crowd was ole-ole-ing them. Imagine how that must have felt for the Brazilian team. This was the worst Brazilian squad ever. But Germany didn't just win because Brazil were playing poorly...they played a smooth and beautiful game and deserved the win.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
sometimes they can be completely coma-inducing!
Sometimes they can I agree.

Any prognosis for Holland - Argentine?
I think we'll have a more normal score, hopefully on Holland's side.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm going for an easy Argentina win. 2-0 or 3-0. Really hope Holland can up their game though, really want them to reach the final!

Saying that though I REALLY don't want Germany to win the WC, and Argentina have the best chance of stopping them I recon.

Hhhhmmmmmm; I'm torn ..

Hand of Fear

I would much rather see a match like Brazil v Germany a y day of the week, than the bore fest we have had tonight !

Winning your way to the final by penalties, show some guts, and I hope whoever goes through gets ripped apart by Germany who are the only team who deserves to win the world cup.

sopranosfan

I would much rather see a match like Brazil v Germany a y day of the week, than the bore fest we have had tonight !

Winning your way to the final by penalties, show some guts, and I hope whoever goes through gets ripped apart by Germany who are the only team who deserves to win the world cup.
I think it depends on the kind of low scoring game. The Belgium/US one was awesome but there never seemed to be much threat of either team scoring in this one.

Hand of Fear

I think there's a difference between two teams going out to win a match in open play, and two teams that play towards penalties which seemed the case with Holland and Argentina last night.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Unfortunately we'll probably have a piss boring game this afternoon and see a 1-0 score or see the game go to PKs.
Who woulda thought the American guy's prediction would be exactly what happened? Both teams were total shit and was a disappointing end to Holland. Now they have to go play a furious, embarassed Brazil and I don't see that ending well. Brazil has a double-revenge game here... not only did Germany dry hump them up and down the field (haven't seen Germany dominate the first half of anything like that since WW2) but Netherlands eliminated them at the last world cup. What a shame, there's no chance for a new nation to win the WC, only a repeat for Germany or Argentina.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I think it depends on the kind of low scoring game. The Belgium/US one was awesome but there never seemed to be much threat of either team scoring in this one.
I agree on this one, worth it just to watch Tim Howard's performance.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
So who do you guys/gals think will win it?

I've said Germany from the start (see second post in thread, [pats myself on the back]), and I haven't changed my mind. Argentina have got what it takes to pull an upset, but the bloody Germans are just too good, and I can't see them not walking away winners.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I reckon Germany will take care of it. Brazil likely to finish off Netherlands on Saturday too.

Sandman

Has been in the eye of the world
Unfortunately, I just saw this thread. I'm a huge soccer/football fan. I watch more of it than anything else. My daughter played between the ages of 5-10 and I started watching then in order to learn more about the sport so I could understand her games better. Well, I really liked it and try to watch it whenever I can especially Barclay's Premier league. Anyway, as for the World Cup I started out I was really pulling for England and USA and I liked Netherlands as well. Since today is the finals I think Germany will beat Argentina in a close fought match. I'd say a 2-1 or maybe 3-1 win.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was good to see Holland pile further misery on Brazil last night! They (Holland) played a lot better last night, were far more clinical, and took the game to Brazil, rather than the way they approached the game against Argentina! A decent end for the Dutch, deserved bronze medals all round :cool: