WORLD CUP THREAD !!

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I tell ya... watching Holland dry humping Spain up and down the field was wonderful. I thought Bosnia looked pretty solid, @Alucard, good showing. Looking forward to today's matches. I'm lucky enough to have a pretty big TV mounted on my office wall, so I'm streaming all the games whilst at work.

Great world cup so far, loving that there's a lot of goals going around this time. Not a single draw yet, and I think only 2 teams so far haven't put the ball in the net. This is some soccer Americans can get behind.

Derk of Derkholm

Journeyed there and back again
So, Germany also delivered a solid show yesterday ;-)

The only thing that Christiano Ronaldo could convincingly communicate was "It's so good!"
That, of course, was not a reference to the game, but rather a part of the commercial block in the break and referring to a bucket of deep-fried chicken carcasses provided by KFC.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
US looked really... different from everyone else. They were all defense and somehow managed to sneak in 2 goals. They had awful passing and terrible keep-away skills. It seemed like Ghana had the ball for 80% of the game. We have an awesome defense though, which is the only thing that saved us from a 5-2 loss. If Portugal plays poorly with Pepe out and Ronaldo has a complete lack of impact like with Germany, US may just get out of group play.

Brazil-Mexico this afternoon ought to be a good game, just hope it's not completely boring like Iran-Nigeria.

João Ribeiro

The only thing that Christiano Ronaldo could convincingly communicate was "It's so good!"
That, of course, was not a reference to the game, but rather a part of the commercial block in the break and referring to a bucket of deep-fried chicken carcasses provided by KFC.
Ouch right in the feelings.

If Portugal plays poorly with Pepe out and Ronaldo has a complete lack of impact like with Germany, US may just get out of group play.
Just a reminder that the US kicked our butt the last time we played. Either Portugal really steps up the game or it's bye bye World Cup.

Piss poor performance against Germany, the plan seemed to be pass it to Ronaldo and pray for some magic.

Griffin

Belgium - Algeria

Well, despite our victory it was really dissappointing They dominated the field allright, but once they got to the 18-yard box (penalty zone) everything just choked up. The gameplay was irritatingly slow and our players didn't feel motivated. Luckily Mertens and Fellaini got in and fired things up a bit more. We've got lucky now, they will have to step up their game against Russia.

Brazil-Mexico

Good match, exciting, lots of fast gameplay, I felt like Mexico should have won though, the Brazilians don't seem to find their spark to get the engine running smoothly.

João Ribeiro

As good as he is you can't pin all your hopes on one player in a team, can't see Portugal going far in this world cup.
Sadly neither do I, it kind of reminds me of the strategy Arsenal used a few years ago where the plan was to get the ball to Henry but they had huge quality supporting him and no one else was afraid of the ball. That is not the case with Portugal. The team needs a refresh.

Well, despite our victory it was really dissappointing
I actually expect good things from Belgium, they have a really solid team.

Griffin

From what I've seen so far Holland and Germany are looking really strong.
Holland was weak today. Only the last 25 minutes were any good, luckily for them they have very good front (?) players.

And what a match! Spain lost again! Unbelievable. This was very Spainful!

Last edited:

João Ribeiro

I really want to poke fun at the Spanish, being arch-rivals and all, but I'll have to wait until Sunday and the match with the US...

On second thought BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAH

I think Van Gaal was trying out different solutions against Australia. He probably figured it was going to be an easier match than what it turned out to be.

Still Holland and Germany are my top bets for contenders. Not because Germany beat us 4-0 but because they did it taking the foot off the gas. There is a lot of talent there.

Darth Tater

This is a great thread. So many of us are from different countries. Fun to see all the talk.

I'm your typical U.S.A. sports fan. I don't care much about soccer even though I think it is the biggest sports event in the world, I didn't even know until the day the USA came that the tournament started. But admittedly when the American men or women are doing well In the Olympics or World Cup I jump on the bandwagon.

I'm aware the USA isn't a power but at least they aren't a joke any longer.especially the girls. I'm excited that "we" beat Ghana. I understand they knocked the USA twice. But sounds like they didn't play that great.p

I'm going to root for all your countries though. I'm sorry Jose Ribeiro. I gotta root against Portugal their next game. That being said I think Portugal will win. I just don't have a great feeling about this team.

Good luck to all you guys!!!