WORLD CUP THREAD !!

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Guess I miscalculated :oops:
It's a tough spot to be in though. Costa Rica won over Uruguay and Uruguay won over you, and now you have to play with Costa Rica. It will be hard, you already lost two games. That does big damage to moral.
I wish you guys good luck nonetheless!

João Ribeiro

Journeyed there and back again
So I guess I can expect fans of England to not be here for a while so they can lick their wounds.
Depending on Italy's match today "a while" can be around 4 years!

I'm going to root for all your countries though. I'm sorry Jose Ribeiro. I gotta root against Portugal their next game. That being said I think Portugal will win. I just don't have a great feeling about this team.
Jose.... so close :D ok I've been called worse.

As for our chances on Sunday, the last time we played against the US you guys kicked our butts. That being said, under normal circumstances I'd say we have enough game to beat you. However we haven't been playing to our full potential lately so it's anyone's game at this point. The US are highly motivated from their debut win and they are playing tightly in the back exploring the counter-attack...

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
And no Pepe against the US cause of his nice red card against Germany. Ronaldo looked like he was half asleep against the germans too, but I guess he historically isn't spectacular in world cups. I have a damn flight at 7:40 on Sunday so I'm going to miss the end of the game (starts at 6pm my time).

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
England are out then. I bloody hate football. Who's idea was this stupid thread anyway ..

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
BTW I rated the last 2 sentences as funny not the first. I was hoping England would make it out of that pool.
I'm putting everything behind the Dutch now. I'm only 1/4 Dutch, but for the next few weeks that 1/4 is definitely the most important part of me!

Darth Tater

Bosnia is out. It doesn't help our perfectly legitimate goal was nullified by that New Zealand's judge :(

Oh, thanks for the reminder. I forgot the USA played today. Checking the internet it looks like it hasn't started. But I will be checking the score.

Oops. Haha Sorry about the name mixup, Joao. I be seen it a hundred times but apparently never looked closely. Saw a four letter name starting Jo and assumed it was Jose. Mea Culpa!

sopranosfan

I guess I will be leaving the world of Malazan for a couple hours to cheer for the US against João's Portugal team. I hope we win because Germany will be even harder. Or at least get a tie tonight so we only have to tie Germany next match. And I believe 1 win or 2 ties put us into the knockout rounds.

João Ribeiro

Oh darn... we scraped a tie but deserved to lose the match.... Well done USA, once again the team that plays as a team gets the upper hand.

Seriously it's getting pathetic that our plan when a game gets tough is shower the ball to Ronaldo. And don't get me started on how lucky we got with that first goal. Howard was already having a seat on the pitch when the ball was in mid field.

So we are not out but we have to do what nobody did so far (butcher Ghana) and wait for Germany to thrash the US or the US to thrash Germany...

I guess I'll be rooting for Gryffindor for the rest of the World Cup.

So a tip of the hat to my fellow US buddies out there.

João Ribeiro

A lot of people think that both teams will play that game out for a draw, which would suit both sides.
I'm not buying into that actually, for once Germany needs to build up momentum again after their tie with Ghana. Also Klinsmann needs to keep up the momentum on the US side, at least to avoid any heat from leaving Donovan home. Also, getting the first spot in the group theoretically will give you an advantage for the next knock-out match against the second place finisher in the other group.

Derk of Derkholm

England are out then. I bloody hate football. Who's idea was this stupid thread anyway ..
So, do they still (or again) sing "Football's coming home" in the UK?

Sorry, couldn't resist.