WORLD CUP THREAD !!

sopranosfan

Journeyed there and back again
Oh darn... we scraped a tie but deserved to lose the match.... Well done USA, once again the team that plays as a team gets the upper hand.

Seriously it's getting pathetic that our plan when a game gets tough is shower the ball to Ronaldo. And don't get me started on how lucky we got with that first goal. Howard was already having a seat on the pitch when the ball was in mid field.

So we are not out but we have to do what nobody did so far (butcher Ghana) and wait for Germany to thrash the US or the US to thrash Germany...

I guess I'll be rooting for Gryffindor for the rest of the World Cup.

So a tip of the hat to my fellow US buddies out there.
If Ronaldo doesn't play better than he did against the US you may not even beat Ghana. Ronaldo looked like he was drunk and cross eyed on his shots yesterday. I literally laughed at one of them.

João Ribeiro

If Ronaldo doesn't play better than he did against the US you may not even beat Ghana. Ronaldo looked like he was drunk and cross eyed on his shots yesterday. I literally laughed at one of them.
Thing is, the man is tired from a super long season. That and he was so hyped up by the media that is has to have affected the rest of the team. I mean he had a touch in the knee when they started training in Brazil and the news was taken by doctors and orthopedics and even a wizard from Ghana just to discuss the injury. I mean it a bit preposterous really.

sopranosfan

Thing is, the man is tired from a super long season. That and he was so hyped up by the media that is has to have affected the rest of the team. I mean he had a touch in the knee when they started training in Brazil and the news was taken by doctors and orthopedics and even a wizard from Ghana just to discuss the injury. I mean it a bit preposterous really.
I agree but regardless of the reason, he did not look like the world's best player yesterday. There has to be something more to the knee than we know. I wonder if he is afraid to, or can't, put 100% behind his shots and is overthinking how to make the shot instead of relying on instincts.

Griffin

Belgium won and goes to the 1/8th finales. Terrible match though, they keep underperforming.

USA-Portugal. I was totally rooting for the USA and was really pissed by that late goal. Now Ghana has to kill Portugal off.

João Ribeiro

Ghana will rip Portugal a new A-hole in my humble well balanced opinion!
Now you are just asking for trouble :D

I seriously doubt we'll crush Ghana anywhere near enough to stay in the competition, however we will win the game with an impressive 1-0 own goal.

sopranosfan

:hilarious:
Sad post soviet territory? lol what the hell. We were never soviet territory haha
You can get to Vienna in one hour flight from Sarajevo and to Istanbul in 2 hours. Moscow on the other hand is 5 hours minimum.
Somebody is shit at geography.
Which would you believe, a picture on the Internet or somebody that lives there? I personally get all my beliefs from the Internet. So congratulations Alucard for the rest of your life, to me, you used to be a Russian!:hilarious:

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Are the dutch really looked at as having inflated egos?

Screw it, go 'Merica and HUP HOLLAND HUP!

Darth Tater

I believe The USA will pray that Portugal defeats Ghana by a slim margin or they tie because I'm not confident this USA team can even tie Germany.

It would be heartbreaking for them if they miss out on advancing due to a last second Portuguese goal but if so they've only themselves to blame.

sopranosfan

I believe The USA will pray that Portugal defeats Ghana by a slim margin or they tie because I'm not confident this USA team can even tie Germany.

It would be heartbreaking for them if they miss out on advancing due to a last second Portuguese goal but if so they've only themselves to blame.
I am hoping for any scenario that allows the US to advance and I believe if Germany and the US played 10 times Germany would probably win 7-8 times, let's just hope that this is one of the 2-3 for the US. Unless Ronaldo figures out where the goal is I don't think Portugal will destroy Ghana so I'm just hoping if the US loses it is by a point. Besides Ghana owes us one after knocking us out.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Holy smokes, who would have ever thought Costa Rica and Uruguay go on and England and Italy go home?! This is quite an interesting world cup!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ho hum. At least we scraped a draw in the final group game and walked away with a point. Against the powerhouse of world football Costa Rica too!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Suarez is an animal. He did the same thing playing for Liverpool too. He should be banned for the remainder of the WC and beyond (unless in Uruguay biting means 'friend' or 'like', but chances are slim i recon)

Bierschneeman

Sad post soviet territory? lol what the hell. We were never soviet territory haha
You can get to Vienna in one hour flight from Sarajevo and to Istanbul in 2 hours. Moscow on the other hand is 5 hours minimum.
Somebody is shit at geography.
its obvious this flow chart (i love flow charts) was put together by an american, In the US during the soviet era, Yugoslavia was considered an autonimous Soviet Satellite State (from an unofficial US perspective) So the general opinion (of closeminded Americans who don't know a whole lot about politics except what the news says) is that Yugoslavia was just a puppet state for the soviet bootheel...

here is a depiction of what Americans sometimes view as the Iron Curtain (as described by churchhill, although in actuality as you know Yugoslavia was NOT part of the Warsaw Pact, or the pact of allying with the soviets and albania was ....different), anyone in red was allied with the soviets, to those without who don't know what that actually means, thinks that means everything red is part of the soviet union (ah, ignorance) sorry for the misinterpretation by this obviously American made Flow Chart. I hope I convinced you we aren't all ignorant.:nailbiting::bag:

Last edited:

Darth Tater

its obvious this flow chart (i love flow charts) was put together by an american, In the US during the soviet era, Yugoslavia was considered an autonimous Soviet Satellite State (from an unofficial US perspective) So the general opinion (of closeminded Americans who don't know a whole lot about politics except what the news says) is that Yugoslavia was just a puppet state for the soviet bootheel...

here is a depiction of what Americans sometimes view as the Iron Curtain (as described by churchhill, although in actuality as you know Yugoslavia was NOT part of the Warsaw Pact, or the pact of allying with the soviets and albania was ....different), anyone in red was allied with the soviets, to those without who don't know what that actually means, thinks that means everything red is part of the soviet union (ah, ignorance) sorry for the misinterpretation by this obviously American made Flow Chart. I hope I convinced you we aren't all ignorant.:nailbiting::bag:

To be frank, I don't think most care one way or another. No worries. People would get knowledgable very quickly if they believed it affected their pocketbooks or it concerned war or something. ;)

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Which would you believe, a picture on the Internet or somebody that lives there? I personally get all my beliefs from the Internet. So congratulations Alucard for the rest of your life, to me, you used to be a Russian!
Lol, I know right! One learns geography best from flow charts haha :D
The reason I mentioned Vienna and Istanbul is because we were part of Ottoman Empire and Habsburg Monarchy territories. And before a single Ottoman stepped his foot here we were the Bosnian Kingdom for 500 years. But we were never fucking soviet territory. I mean at least get your stereotypes historically correct lol
Actually, Bosnians have more in common with Vikings than Russians. Check this out.

here is a depiction of what Americans sometimes view as the Iron Curtain (as described by churchhill, although in actuality as you know Yugoslavia was NOT part of the Warsaw Pact, or the pact of allying with the soviets and albania was ....different), anyone in red was allied with the soviets, to those without who don't know what that actually means, thinks that means everything red is part of the soviet union (ah, ignorance) sorry for the misinterpretation by this obviously American made Flow Chart. I hope I convinced you we aren't all ignorant.
Yes, don't worry man, I know how internet works. :D
I know a bunch of Americans personally, you guys are really warm people and make friends easily. Albeit a bit too loud haha, but interested in other cultures and you're good company. Honestly I never had any negative experience with any american I know. They were all guys and girls of Millennials generation though (same as me). I have no idea what my experience would be with older people.

According to that map, looks like Churchill was shit at geography too xD
The Russians kicked us out of Communist Information Bureau in 1948, after Tito told Stalin to fuck off with his Great Russia aspirations. I think a couple of years after that you guys started supplying us with weapons, because invasion of Yugoslavia was next on Stalin's list after the Korean War. It is also the reason why a country with 20 million people had the 6th largest army in the world.