WORLD CUP THREAD !!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never mind @Griffin .... there's always the Euro's in 2 years time, which you're more than welcome to come second in after England triumph magnificently :) (can you tell I've been drinking again ...)

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Dutch are through :)

Fell asleep in front of the telly last night and missed the penalties (typical!). Looking forward to them taking on the Argie's next week. Not confident though. My prediction is a Germany Argentina final.

Griffin

Journeyed there and back again
Never mind @Griffin .... there's always the Euro's in 2 years time, which you're more than welcome to come second in after England triumph magnificently :) (can you tell I've been drinking again ...)
Yeah, we played a weak game. About 2016, yes, winning the European Championship will do nicely as trainig for the World Cup in 2018 :rolleyes:

Dutchies yesterday were the better team, but how I hate Robben!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
but how I hate Robben!
Yeah me too, I'm not his biggest fan. But in fairness, he was chopped down left right and centre last night, and the Costa Ricans claimed he was diving each and every time, which he wasn't (for once!). If anything, some of their players (Ruiz!) were far more guilty of play acting than him.

sopranosfan

Yeah, we played a weak game. About 2016, yes, winning the European Championship will do nicely as trainig for the World Cup in 2018 :rolleyes:

Dutchies yesterday were the better team, but how I hate Robben!
If you're going to win it you better do it in 2018 before it's played in Qatar in 2022. If I were Belgium and Netherlands I would either withdraw from that one or order a barrel of SPF 500 sunscreen. You guys can borrow my oven to practice in if you want to.

Griffin

Yeah me too, I'm not his biggest fan. But in fairness, he was chopped down left right and centre last night, and the Costa Ricans claimed he was diving each and every time, which he wasn't (for once!). If anything, some of their players (Ruiz!) were far more guilty of play acting than him.
Yes, agreed. Then again, he does always look for that kind of thing.

Griffin

If you're going to win it you better do it in 2018 before it's played in Qatar in 2022. If I were Belgium and Netherlands I would either withdraw from that one or order a barrel of SPF 500. You guys can borrow my oven to practice in if you want to.
They should cancel Qatar, since we know now they bought it! I do agree the climate isn't in favour of European countries (either in Brasil or in Qatar).

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I do agree the climate isn't in favour of European countrie
It's not in favor of any human being playing 90, sometimes 120 min of football.

If they want to hold the cup in Qatar, they should do it with robots, otherwise there will be serious injuries.
Not to mention how many people will die until they build the damn stadiums. Not surprising considering Qatar is built on slave labor mainly of Nepal, India and Bangladesh people.
I saw estimates of 4000 workers deaths until they construct the infrastructure for 2022 cup.

The world has gone mad.

Back to 2014, Im cheering for Germany. Germany-Holland in finals? Hope so, couldn't care less about Brazil or Argentina. Both bore me.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Netherlands have been playing less dominantly as the cup has progressed, getting a little concerned that their worst game is yet to come. Argentina have been scoring early and if they go up 1-0 over the dutch early on, the dutch may have trouble. I don't think Brazil can make it past Germany, especially with Silva and Neymar both being out. If the dutch can pull it together and get aggressive against Argentina they'll be meeting Germany in the final. Would really like to see Netherlands win their first world cup!!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Holland and Argentina may as well start packing their bags now. I hate how bloody good Germany are!

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
To be fair, I think Brazil were absolutely awful on defense. It wasn't that Germany was bizarrely dominant (though they were) but go watch the body language and energy levels and placement of the Brazil players on the scoring plays from Germany. At least half the goals had only 3-4 brazilian players near the goal and the rest were just walking around aimlessly midfield. No energy, no urgency, no hustle, no aggression at all.

I couldn't believe what I was watching. I was sitting in my office at work during the first half and was just amazed. 4 goals in the 20-30 minute time, just unreal. I will say I got a sick sense of amusement when they kept showing the fans crying in the stands. Unfortunately we'll probably have a piss boring game this afternoon and see a 1-0 score or see the game go to PKs.