Would you be more likely to buy a hardback...

Would be more likely to buy a quality hardback if it came with a free ebook version?

• Only if there was no paperback version due out.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

wakarimasen

Journeyed there and back again
... if it came with a voucher for the ebook version of the story?

This comes from our interview with Ben Aaronovitch (Rivers of London). We ended on the tricky question of what would you ask the forum members if you could.

Mr. A's idea was that early adopters would pay £13.99 (or equivalent) for a quality hardback and get the ebook free. Subsequently the ebook would be released "some time" later at what we would consider a paperback price. Paperbacks would pretty much go the way of the dodo...

wakarimasen

For my tuppence it would have to be a series or author I was somehow sure of to buy a hardback in the first place. I don't do ebooks but having the audio version included might swing me if I could build an extension to house all the hardbacks...

Plus - I'd hate to see the end of paperbacks. I love getting a battered old paperback from a charity shop at a knock down price. One of life's simple pleasures.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
It wouldn't make any difference to me. I don't reread a lot so having 2 versions of the same book doesn't appeal much.

I misread your post. Now I'm a little disappointed that you're not building an extension out of hardbacks.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Whatever format I start a series in, I continue it that way. I don't like the idea of having some paper books and some ebooks for a series. I also don't see the point of having both versions. I rarely travel and can't read during my commute (because I am driving and it is not long enough for audiobooks). So having only a hardcover or only an ebook isn't really a dealbreaker for me. (In fact, I usually have one of each going. Although sometimes the paper book is not a hardcover. It depends. Right now I am reading The Vagrant in print and John Gwynne's latest -- sorry, really don't remember those one word titles worth a damn -- on my Kindle.) As you may have seen in the "show us your library thread," I have a lot of bookshelves. There is still space on some of them for more print books! (Also there are some empty shelves in the house that didn't get pictured.)

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Whatever format I start a series in, I continue it that way. I don't like the idea of having some paper books and some ebooks for a series. I also don't see the point of having both versions. I rarely travel and can't read during my commute (because I am driving and it is not long enough for audiobooks). So having only a hardcover or only an ebook isn't really a dealbreaker for me. (In fact, I usually have one of each going. Although sometimes the paper book is not a hardcover. It depends. Right now I am reading The Vagrant in print and John Gwynne's latest -- sorry, really don't remember those one word titles worth a damn -- on my Kindle.) As you may have seen in the "show us your library thread," I have a lot of bookshelves. There is still space on some of them for more print books! (Also there are some empty shelves in the house that didn't get pictured.)
If you run out of shelves you can always usurp those of your partner. Me and my wife have some serious shelf imperialism going on. We call it the Struggle of the Shelves.

sopranosfan

Of course I would like a free copy but I wouldn't pay extra for it and I don't want to get rid of paperbacks either. I guess I want my cake and to eat it too.

Belg

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
I would love to have both versions. I am a huge fan of buying hardback books. I enjoy having the large book while sitting in my recliner at home with a good pillow. But to also have a handy e-book version while I am on the go or on lunch break at work would be very handy. I sure hope this happens sometime in the future.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Amazon already has something like this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/ep-landing-page
2.99$ or less is little worse than FREE, but it aint bad either.

Still it doesn't sway me. I don't re-read often, and even when I do, I just re-read the format that I already have.
I'm partial to ebooks anyway, so maybe asking me if I wanna buy a hardback is a wrong question for me in the first place.

kenubrion

Amazon already has something like this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/ep-landing-page
2.99$ or less is little worse than FREE, but it aint bad either.

Still it doesn't sway me. I don't re-read often, and even when I do, I just re-read the format that I already have.
I'm partial to ebooks anyway, so maybe asking me if I wanna buy a hardback is a wrong question for me in the first place.
There you go Alucard, good post. $2.99 is essentially free, so it's already being done.

MrMarbles

Fought a battle in the name of the old gods
If it was a book I was jonesin badly for then maybe, but overall probably not as I prefer eBooks exclusively. HOWEVER, it would get me to pick that hardcover title over the same hardcover title from a different vender that did not offer the extra incentive :)

atheling

A Poet of the Khaiem
If you run out of shelves you can always usurp those of your partner. Me and my wife have some serious shelf imperialism going on. We call it the Struggle of the Shelves.
I'm definitely losing that struggle... she acquires books much faster than I do (especially lately)

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I'm definitely losing that struggle... she acquires books much faster than I do (especially lately)
Yeah, but most of them lately are on my Kindle so you don't even know about those...

Hand of Fear

I don't buy hardbacks or ebooks, I don't reread books either and I wouldn't have two copies of one book in two different formats.