Would you like character sketches?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by rudyjuly2, Sep 4, 2017.

?

Would You Like Character Sketches/Pics?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I had started reading the GOT books after I watched a few seasons. I found it much easier to keep track of characters that way when I already had a face attached to a character. I also kind of cheated when I read the Wheeel of Time series in that I had stumbled across an IMDB thread where people speculated what actors would play certain roles and I used some of those faces as pictures in my mind.

I may not be super imaginative when it comes to picturing characters in my head. For single novels it's not a big deal. But for epic fantasies with many characters I think it would be cool if we had some basic character sketches to help visualize and remember a bit easier. I do remember reading one novel (Axe and the Throne) where each chapter was a characters POV and the chapter started with a headshot pic of that character.

How many think this would be a good idea? How many thinks it stifles imagination or is a bad idea? Just curious.

An example might be something like this for Wheel of Time.

[​IMG]

2. Noor Al-Shanti

Noor Al-Shanti Philosophizes with Kellhus

Those sketches look awesome! Did you make them yourself? If so, I'm impressed.

In general I usually prefer to read the book without character images and form my own mental image first. If I really like the story I enjoy seeing illustrations or fanart and comparing them to what I imagined. That's in general, though, there are always exceptions! :) Your sketches do make me want to check out wheel of time.

3. rudyjuly2

No way are those my sketches lol. I can barely draw stick figures! My wife actually took art in high school and can draw but I have NO skills in that area.

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

I usually just make up how characters look but sometimes curiousity gets the better of me and I google their images. Waste of time. Those images are almost always wrong. :D

5. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Completely agree. It helps me out no end having a picture in my mind of what someone looks like. I did this for Malazan and WoT (via fan art, just like you), and for series like Expanse where there had been a TV adaptation.

On topic ... some of the WoT fan art is .. erm .. quite, revealing. :wideyed:

6. rudyjuly2

I had another set of images in there with more characters but upon closer inspection I switched to that image because of that lol.

7. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Yeah, I remember some art I saw from Nyneave... :woot:

8. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

I'm at work so I can't link it but the video you want is 'oh my, how lewd'.

9. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Journeyed there and back again

I buck the trend - I'm face blind so the visual imagery means little to me :(

10. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Every time you mention being "face blind", I wonder what that means.

11. jo zebedee

It means I struggle to recognise faces - even quite familiar ones (but not as badly as it can get - I know close family and friends etc) It's linked to a general struggle with visualisation. I've often wondered if that's what makes description hard for me as a writer.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/prosopagnosia/Pages/Introduction.aspx

12. rudyjuly2

I had never heard of that before. Sorry to hear about that.

It is embarrassing for me when I can't remember people sometimes. Just ran into a guy I hadn't seen in 25+ years and he says hi and I had no clue who he was. Not the first time!

13. jo zebedee

I'm not that badly affected, thankfully! A bit like you are above. I did go a research thing on it that came back and told me I was about mid way on the scale. :)

14. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

No, I prefer to model the characters' physiognomy in my head. This also means they are malleable according to their actions and psychological development.

15. Bill Door

Bill Door Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life

Eh...I like forming my own picture of what characters look like in my head. That's one of the best attributes of reading as opposed to other mediums of story telling.

16. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I think looking at a picture once doesn't do it for me. Sometimes I don't need them. But I couldn't make it through LotR until the first movie came out because I couldn't keep people straight (and I still get Merry and Pippin mixed up), so I see the actors' faces when I think of the characters. (Oddly, had no trouble with Malazan.)

17. GreyMouser

GreyMouser Journeyed there and back again

I like to look at pictures of characters to see how others imagine them but still form my own image in my mind. Some day when I have more time I will draw character sketches of my favorite characters.

18. Nuomer1

Nuomer1 Journeyed there and back again

I came across this about 10 years ago through Jo Livingstone (from U3A, and quite a serious sufferer, could walk past members of her own family), who gives talks about prosopagnosia in London area. Turns out my wife has it as well, but hadn't realised it was a recognised condition!